Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

I agree with you kab21...Turner, Jackson and Gatewood each have a lot to prove this spring to get my vote at #5. If the top 4 goes Rodon/Hoffman/Kolek/Beede in some order it would make sense for preseason second tier arms like Nola, Weaver, Aiken, Toussaint or Holmes to continue the run on arms early. Of that group Nola would make me most happy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    I think you misinterpret my skepticism regarding those 3 hitters. Skepticism doesn't mean that you disregard them and move on to lower upside pitchers or pitchers with even more to prove than those hitters.

I find myself rather liking Turner after being one of the first skeptics on the board. Drafting a potential Ellsbury at SS is worthy at #5. He does need to convince scouts that he has that much pop in his bat though. I am more confident in his defense lately though since it sounds like he is solid at SS but he has plus defensive tools and could be a plus defender at SS.

It would be short-sighted to disregard any prospect this early and given the depth of this draft it is reasonable to expect movement in the top 10 from any of the names people have posted in this thread. A general theme of Rodon, Hoffman, Kolek and now Beede as the most likely (early) top four is emerging. At #5 there are a number of names still being thrown around among draft pundits, including Jackson, Gatewood and Turner. Given what is currently known of each of them I have trouble declaring them as higher upside or less to prove than each of the pitchers I mentioned as potential risers. I hope each of these hitters rips the seems off the ball this spring and a more decisive picture of the best player available at #5 materializes. Until then I'll stick to considering all of the top prospects and narrow my scope when more concrete evidence emerges that one should be given significantly greater attention than another.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    MLB pipeline article on several draft prospects ( Gettys, Baca, Brink, Wall)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_mlb&c_id=mlb

Senior Member All-Star
    MLB Weekly Draft College Round Up:

College Starters:
    Rodon- 7 innings, 3H, 1 ER, 8K, 3 BB. Reports had his fastball at 94 with great life. Control of off-speed wasn't as great has it has been.

Hoffman- 8 innings, 5 H, 0 ER, 14 K, 1 BB. Scout quote from Crawford:
    "What impressed me most was how efficient he was," an American League scout said. "When you strike out that many guys and only need 109 pitches to do it? That's awesome. Western Kentucky didn't really stand a chance tonight even if Hoffman wasn't good, but he would have gotten through most collegiate lineup tonight."

Beede- 7 innings, 3 H, 1 ER, 6 K, 3 BB. KLaw saw him and here is a quote:
    "Beede has had some ups and downs over his long career as a top amateur prospect; in high school he had average velocity, a good changeup and good feel for his age, with an easy delivery, but in 2013 he started throwing harder with much worse command. Friday night, he had it all, with good downhill plane on a 92-95 mph fastball, holding his velocity throughout his outing. His changeup was once again his out pitch, 80-83 with downward fade to left-handers, but with a little cut to it when he threw it to right-handers, demonstrating a precocious ability to manipulate the baseball. His curveball was his least consistent pitch, but the majority were above-average or better, 80-81 mph with tight rotation and an 11-to-5 break. He stayed ahead of hitters almost the whole night, and his fastball command was the best it's been in years. "

Nola- 6 innings, 5 H, 0 ER, 10 K, 1 BB.

Newcomb- 5.2 innings, 3 H, 0 ER, 6 K, 3 BB. Scout quote from Crawford:
    "I think you're seeing some rust," an AL East scout said. "But he's going to have to pitch better than this. The Newcomb I saw over the summer was a guy who might have had the most arm-strength and was consistently 93-95 touching 97. He got shut down this summer with mono, so maybe he's just regaining what he had. This isn't the guy I saw in the Cape Cod though."

College Bats:
    Turner- 10 ABs, 2 H, 3 R, 2 RBI, 3 W, 1 K, 0 XBH. Scout quote from Crawford:
    "Speed is great, but it can only do so much," an NL East scout said. "He has such a severe collapse on his back foot that it's tough to imagine he's going to be able to hit for power, particularly when he starts facing guys that are legit pitching prospects like he saw on Saturday (UCLA sophomore Grant Watson). His bat-to-ball skills are very good and I think he can get on base, but if he can't give me some extra-base hits he can't be a top-five pick."

Schwarber- 7 ABs, 4 H, 5 R, 3 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 SB, 2 2B, 1 3B.

Pentecost- 13 ABs, 2 H, 4 R, 2 RBI, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 SB, 0 XBH.

Zimmerman- 14 ABs, 8 H, 6 R, 3 SB, 1 HR. What BA had to say:
    "San Francisco outfielder Bradley Zimmer continues to hit in game action. The long and lean 6-foot-5, 205-pound Zimmer, who was voted as one of the top athletes in the college class by scouting directors, went 8-for-14 against Sacramento State. Zimmer has a quick stroke and level, line-drive pat bath that creates hard contact. Zimmer, at least an average runner, stole three bases on the weekend, the most of any top 100 college player. One of the biggest questions scouts had about Zimmer was his potential power production because of his bat path but the lefthanded-hitting Zimmer hit his second home run of the season, an opposite field shot to left field in a pitcher’s park (80 Park Factor)."

Law and Crawford's insider articles (have a lot more info I left out):

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/

BA article with all college player stats:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/college-draft-prospects-stat-roundup-week-3-2/

6. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (03-04-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    MLB Weekly HS Round Up:

HS Pitchers:
    Kolek- 6 innings, 0 H, 0 ER, 11 K. Fastball 92-98. Off speed average. Scout quote from Crawford:
    "Velocity isn't everything, but it's nice to see, especially early on," an AL West crosschecker said. "It's no surprise, [Kolek] was touching triple- digits this summer and he's a massive kid who's gotten taller since we saw him in the summer. He's going to dominate the competition he faces all year so the stats are a little misleading, but he can absolutely bring it."

Sheffield- Report from Law:
    "I also caught a scrimmage from Vanderbilt recruit Justus Sheffield, a left-handed pitcher whose brother, right-hander Jordan Sheffield, is a freshman at Vanderbilt now (and was nearly a member of the Red Sox), recovering from Tommy John surgery. Sheffield was fair, in preseason form rather than midseason form, 88-91 with average life, showing better command to his arm side than his glove side. His 76-80 mph changeup had good arm speed and a ton of action; his 75-79 mph curveball had two-plane break with tight rotation, but looked slower than its actual velocity. He's more physically mature now than Jordan was at this time last year. His arm also works better than Jordan's thanks to a really long stride. His velocity might improve as he continues to get stretched out for the regular season -- he was limited to just three innings on Saturday -- and could be a solid second-rounder."

HS bats:
    Gettys- Scout quotes from Jim Callis:
    "Gettys is a head-scratcher," an area scout who attended the game said. "He has the best all-around tools in my area. He has extraordinary bat speed and he can stay in center field, unlike Clint Frazier last year, who I think will play his way onto a corner.
    "Unfortunately, Gettys is developing a history of not making hard contact. I like the kid and he has good makeup and top-10-overall-pick tools. But I don't think he sniffs the first half of the first round without having more conviction in his bat."

"I think he wants to do so well that instead of letting the game to him, he tries to overpower the baseball," the scout said. "There's a lot of effort and a lack of effort. In batting practice, it's better. The bat path is fine. To me, he's an anxious hitter, and anxious hitters tend not to perform."

Crawford with scouts takes on Gatewood vs Jackson:
    "You can't help but compare the two," an NL area scout said. "You saw them both in the same summer events and they were always the two that drew the most attention.Gatewood has more power and Jackson the better hit tool, but at least to start the year they're the two best prep bats on the West Coast, if not the entire country."

"There's also something about safe guy and the guy with upside. To me Jackson is the guy who's going to hit, but is he going to be a star? Probably not unless he ends up behind the plate. Gatewood could be a star at shortstop as a guy who can hit 30-35 homers, but there's also a ton of risk as he's got a 40 hit-tool right now."

Law and Crawford's insider articles (have a lot more info I left out):

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/

Jim Callis article on Gettys and other draft prospects:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_mlb&c_id=mlb

8. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (03-04-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    If we were to combine the information from other threads (articles) concerning Santana (SS) and this thread, it is highly unlikely the Twins draft any SS this June. Plus, there is (so far) so much strong-positive information on pitchers (both college and HS) and combine that information with the fact the Twins just paid mega-millions on free agent pitchers (which is unprecedented at this scale for the Twins), I would be most surprised if the Twins did not select a pitcher at #5 this June.

10. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dman (03-04-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Thanks for that, cmb. I understand it's pretty early, but I have severe concern over drafting someone with a 40 hit tool. IMO, it's the most important tool for position players with some extreme exceptions. How well does Gatewood field his position? If he has Jose Iglesias/Andrelton Simmons defense, it doesn't bother me as much. From everything I've gathered, however, that appears not to be the case. He very well might improve his hit tool over the course of the season, but I personally would opt for someone else at #5 if his hit tool remains at 40 come draft day.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    If we were to combine the information from other threads (articles) concerning Santana (SS) and this thread, it is highly unlikely the Twins draft any SS this June. Plus, there is (so far) so much strong-positive information on pitchers (both college and HS) and combine that information with the fact the Twins just paid mega-millions on free agent pitchers (which is unprecedented at this scale for the Twins), I would be most surprised if the Twins did not select a pitcher at #5 this June.
    IF Santana plays well this spring, IF he ends strong in AAA, then there may not be a short term need for SS, or a need for a fast riser. But this effect the Twins trading and free agent plans more than their draft plans. Plus a guy like Gatewood is 5-6 years away from playing on the Twins, around the time Santana would be getting close to free agency. Baseball has such a deep minor league system, BPA is the only way to address a top 5 pick IMO.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    But the the SS aren't the BPA!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 810 Times in 510 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Thanks for that, cmb. I understand it's pretty early, but I have severe concern over drafting someone with a 40 hit tool. IMO, it's the most important tool for position players with some extreme exceptions. How well does Gatewood field his position? If he has Jose Iglesias/Andrelton Simmons defense, it doesn't bother me as much. From everything I've gathered, however, that appears not to be the case. He very well might improve his hit tool over the course of the season, but I personally would opt for someone else at #5 if his hit tool remains at 40 come draft day.
    This is the first time I've heard about the hit tool being that low. That can be one scout's opinion I suppose, but a 40 hit tool is not a top 5 pick. Hopefully for his sake that changes a bit... If it doesnt, give me one of the pitchers please.

Senior Member All-Star
    My current top 10 is the following:

1. Carlos Rodon
    2. Jeff Hoffman
    3. Tyler Kolek
    4. Tyler Beede
    5. Alex Jackson
    6. Trea Turner
    7. Jacob Gatewood
    8. Sean Newcomb
    9. Grant Holmes
    10. Bradley Zimmer (really high on him)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kolek has some pretty serious crossfire in his delivery, approaching Jared Weaver level I'd say. I wouldn't want to be a RHB against him

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    My current top 10 is the following:

1. Carlos Rodon
    2. Jeff Hoffman
    3. Tyler Kolek
    4. Tyler Beede
    5. Alex Jackson
    6. Trea Turner
    7. Jacob Gatewood
    8. Sean Newcomb
    9. Grant Holmes
    10. Bradley Zimmer (really high on him)
    I'm low on Holmes, partially because of his lack of ceiling or projection, partially because in every picture I see of him, he looks like the kid who sits in the back of classroom shooting spitball at his friends and drawing penises in his textbooks.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 81 Times in 61 Posts
    Yeah, I'm really hoping they select a vagina guy.

19. These 2 users like birdwatcher's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

maxisagod (03-05-2014), mike wants wins (03-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    BA put out an article about Ti'Quan Forbes and Bobby Bradley today. Both are eligible for the 2014. Good read.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...bobby-bradley/

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, WH, for the video. While I'm not a scout or expert, I did notice a couple of things that trouble me about Kolek. He seemed to be a all over the place. His plant foot really isn't very consistent and his control seems to be weak. That change with coaching and repetition. It did seem to telegraph his curve. It is obvious that the catcher had quite a time handling him. That should also change as he moves up to better competition. Just wondering if my observations are legitimate or are skew from a 1Bman untrained eye.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brvama View Post
    Thanks, WH, for the video. While I'm not a scout or expert, I did notice a couple of things that trouble me about Kolek. He seemed to be a all over the place. His plant foot really isn't very consistent and his control seems to be weak. That change with coaching and repetition. It did seem to telegraph his curve. It is obvious that the catcher had quite a time handling him. That should also change as he moves up to better competition. Just wondering if my observations are legitimate or are skew from a 1Bman untrained eye.
    Ya we are mostly amateurs here, some of us more amateur than others. If you see Kolek tipping his curve than you have a better eye than me. I think Callis has him going 2 so there is one pro's opinion. I've read a lot of reports about him but no mention of crossfire. From this angle you can see how far to the right he strides, that's yet another notch in his favor IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by brvama View Post
    Kolek control is his number one issue, on the other hand if his control was any better at this stage there would be no chance he falls to 5th. His curve is used more than his slider right now, and learning to stop tipping pitches is fixable, BUT some experts think his slider could end up better than his curve; meaning he could ditch the curve down the road and still be a dominate starter. Like you mentioned things like the foot issue can be fixed with professional coaching, but the reason Kolek is a round ahead other high school flamethrowers isn't just the extra mph or two he can put on his fastball, it's his size and the ease he can throw it (not labored).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 132 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    A SS with a short swing that can chop it should have no bearing on the Twins draft.

The things that will determine if the Twins draft a SS at #5. Can Turner drive the ball? Can Gatewood hit the ball? I read in between the lines of last year's scouting report and this has been my biggest concern about Gatewood. I think the original comment was something like 'his swing is beautiful in batting practice with everything that you want but it hasn't translated to in game dominance'.

Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast