Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Either way, I've lost interest in arguing with you over Gordon. You don't want him. I would be good with the choice, neither of us is changing our mind.
    Lighten up Francis....

2. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

tobi0040 (05-14-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Either way, I've lost interest in arguing with you over Gordon. You don't want him. I would be good with the choice, neither of us is changing our mind.
    But Terry will listen to me and not you.

4. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (05-14-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    A few questions from BA's draft chat:

• Kyle Freeland keeps climbing higher and higher. Any chance at him going 1st overall?

John Manuel: I have asked that very question myself and been told he is not in the mix for that selection. I humbly believe that he should be; I suppose there's actually nothing humble about saying that. But the stuff is outstanding, as is the performance. But I think his track record isn't long enough to get him into that mix. I do think we're a bit higher on him than the entire industry is, but I am OK with that.

• Who makes it to MLB the fastest out of this draft? Rodon? Nola?

Clint Longenecker: They are contenders, though Rodon will have to improve his command, particularly of his fastball, and continue to develop his changeup. I spoke with an evaluator who suggested another pitcher for this category, LHP Kyle Freeland. He said that you could stick him in the major league pen in August with his plus fastball-slider combo and at least plus command.

• What separates Alex Jackson from the trio of pitchers being considered at 1/1? If I were the Astros, I think I'd take the potential middle of the order bat and use the pitching depth of the draft to build up my pitching.

John Manuel: There's some merit to this approach. Jackson is the best power hitter in this draft; his 47th homer the other day tied the San Diego section record, and he did it in a dead-bat era. SD has had some fair players over the years as well. If you thought Jackson could remain a catcher and would not lag behind defensively, I think the Astros would seriously consider it. I will say historically, position players at the top of drafts have out-performed pitchers at the top. If the Astros do take a hitter No. 1, I think it would be Jackson.

• Which high school and college hitters have the best bat speed this year?

Clint Longenecker: Josh, great question! From the high school side Alex Jackson, Michael Chavis, Michael Gettys and Monte Harrison are in the discussion for some of the best bat speed.

• With Hoffman and Fedde injured, you still have them pretty high. Do you think they will actually be drafted as high as ranked or do you think they will get the money associated with the slots they are ranked here?
    • John Manuel: The Fedde TJ happened after that list went to press; Hoffman had been adjusted down a tad. We decided not to change the list from what went into the print edition to avoid confusion and having different lists. The final BA 500 on May 28 may tweak that top 100 order some but not too drastically. We'll have more information presumably at that time, though, so it's natural that some things could change. I still think both players will go in the first or supplemental first, as Sean Manaea and Kyle Gibson and other injured players have gone before. Andrew Brackman's another example of a player who needed Tommy John surgery and was a first-rounder anyway. He's the worst-case scenario; a lot of the other TJ guys still went on to successful careers. So I do think they'll go out high, particularly to a team or teams with extra picks.

Full chat here:
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1400080672
    Last edited by cmb0252; 05-14-2014 at 04:06 PM.

I've been pretty high on Freeland over the past couple of weeks after some amature YouTube scouting. I would be ecstatic with him at #5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    2B and CF are not exactly organizational priorities at the moment.
    The argument to take Gordon should not be because the Twins need a SS but rather that he is in a virtual tie for BPA. Unfortunately there is a big drop after the top 3 pitchers. I think we are talking about a player with an All-star ceiling.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    The argument to take Gordon should not be because the Twins need a SS but rather that he is in a virtual tie for BPA. Unfortunately there is a big drop after the top 3 pitchers. I think we are talking about a player with an All-star ceiling.
    Well put. If the Twins take him at 5 it is because he is the highest rated player on their bored. The fact he plays a position of need is just a bonus. Definitely has the ceiling of an all-star.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfanstreif View Post
    I've been pretty high on Freeland over the past couple of weeks after some amature YouTube scouting. I would be ecstatic with him at #5.
    While I will never complain about drafting a lefty I still have about 8 players ahead of him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Well put. If the Twins take him at 5 it is because he is the highest rated player on their bored. The fact he plays a position of need is just a bonus. Definitely has the ceiling of an all-star.
    I am just morbidly curious to hear a long-time scout compare him to Barry Larkin or Roberto Alomar offensively. Those two went on to have HoF careers -- I don't mean to make that comparison. But what were their hit/on-base tools like at 18? What were their projections like?

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Matt Garrioch at Minorleagueball.com has been writing regional breakdowns and rankings of draft eligible players. It's alway fun learning names of Puerto Ricans or Hawaiians that have a load of talent but limited exposure. Or Georgians that the Twins seem to focus on. He also doesn't follow the industry when it comes to rankings. Here is his Florida list:
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/...florida-region

A few Highlights:
    He ranks Touki Toussaint #1.
    Call's Gordon a "near lock to stay at SS" and "a quick Bat".
    Thinks Luke Weaver is a mid rotation starter.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Definitely a good resource. As far as Puerto Rico goes, Twins not considering anyone from there in Top 10 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Definitely a good resource. As far as Puerto Rico goes, Twins not considering anyone from there in Top 10 rounds.
    Not even Alexis Pantojas?!? The kid looks like he could be a steal in the 4th round. Here is a month old free article about him from Perfect Game:
    https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles...x?article=9734

At the end of the article David Rawnsley compares Pantojas defense with Gordon and Milton Ramos. Good read.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Once again, I know HS batting stats are "worthless" but, I'll bring a few numbers to the conversation. Through April Gordon batted .508 with 9 doubles and 5 HRs (25 games) according to this: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/m79CgY2...lb-players.htm

Good, but still not in Jackson or Chavis territory. I can't help but wonder if there's a worthwhile gamble in trying to convert a player with a more proven bat - Chavis, specifically, into a SS (or catcher), rather than cross your fingers and count on development bringing Gordon's bat up closer to their levels.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Once again, I know HS batting stats are "worthless" but, I'll bring a few numbers to the conversation. Through April Gordon batted .508 with 9 doubles and 5 HRs (25 games) according to this: http://www.maxpreps.com/news/m79CgY2...lb-players.htm

Good, but still not in Jackson or Chavis territory. I can't help but wonder if there's a worthwhile gamble in trying to convert a player with a more proven bat - Chavis, specifically, into a SS (or catcher), rather than cross your fingers and count on development bringing Gordon's bat up closer to their levels.
    Without a doubt, Jackson is the best HS bat in this class. Probably the best power potential of any bat in the draft. If you get that at #5 you should be happy.

If Kolek, Rodon, and Aiken are gone, I would love to add the upside of Jackson, Touki, or Freeland.

Alex Jackson is a 2014 C/3B/OF with a 6-2 210 lb. frame from Escondido, CA who attends Rancho Bernardo HS. Outstanding athletic build, unique blend of strength and explosive looseness. Right handed hitter, gets coiled and moves into contact, calm load and approach, very aggressive swing with plus/plus bat speed, easy over the fence power, ball explodes off the barrel, very high ceiling offensive tools. 6.83 runner, arm strength stands out both in the outfield and behind the plate, very solid mechanics behind the plate, quick feet and quick exchange, can show either elite arm strength or elite pop times. Highest level right field tools on defense should he end up there, also has experience at third base. Top ranked player in the 2014 class, tools are eye opening and performs at a very high level. Verbal commitment to Oregon. Selected to the Perfect Game All-American Classic.

Senior Member MVP
    KLAW's mock draft is up today:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft...Law-Mock-Draft

Jackson goes 2nd, the usual suspects go 1-4......Twins take Gordon.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    That would be a really surprising draft to me - not Gordon but Jackson going 2nd. I can't see cheap Miami nabbing a Boras client when they've got a bunch of big time pitching prospects to go with as well as local talent that could be taken there for small savings. They also have a few extra picks in the 30-40 range and I'm sure Boras would want some of that money to go to his guy.

Senior Member MVP
    Law says Miami wants bats. They have 4 of the first 43 picks.......and lots of money to work with because of that, among other things, but I'm trying to be respectful of insider content....
    Lighten up Francis....

19. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (05-15-2014), Siehbiscuit (05-15-2014)

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Law also suggest Gatewood could be in play for an underslot deal... or in plat at #46 for an overslot deal.

The downside with having the White Sox draft just before us, is one of the guys I'll be rooting for the Twins to get, will go to them, at which point 'll have to start rooting against him.
    Kolek at 3 would suck and I wish Hoffman had been healthly for the draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Once you see Law doing a mock you know the draft isn't far away. Nothing really new with the Twins being interested in Gordon, Jackson, and Nola but the fact the Twins might be in on Gatewood under slot at #5 is a bomb shell. Especially since he doesn't have anyone else taking him in the first round. A Gordon under slot at #5 and Gatewood over slot at #46 would be a dream draft.

23. These 2 users like cmb0252's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (05-15-2014), maxisagod (05-15-2014)

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    A Gordon under slot at #5 and Gatewood over slot at #46 would be a dream draft.
    I'd go to bed very happy if that's how Thursday played out. But I'd wake up Friday hoping that it's heavy on arms. It would be hard to pass on Gatewood though, and I know the Twins had him in the Top 10 as recently as a couple of months ago.

Page 42 of 65 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast