Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 MLB Draft Thread

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Turner has 1 xbh (a double) in first 16 games (of 58).
    Yeah, he definitely isn't helping his case for a top 5 pick currently. While I still enjoy what he brings to the table I would really have to see more xbhs and walks to take him at 5.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Yeah, he definitely isn't helping his case for a top 5 pick currently. While I still enjoy what he brings to the table I would really have to see more xbhs and walks to take him at 5.
    Wait! Does he: slide into 1B, get his uniform dirty, and in general "get after it"? Those guys don't have to hit so much.

3. These 3 users like Kwak's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dance with Disco Dan (03-12-2014), mike wants wins (03-12-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-12-2014)

I am formally signing up for the anyone-but-Turner draft package. I'd be disappointed if the Twins reached for a quick-to-the-majors college pitcher over a higher-ceiling high school player but I'd beside myself if we used a top-5 pick on a light-hitting college position player. If the top pitchers remain healthy through the draft, all the position players could very well still be on the board when the Twins pick. Nothing I've read convinces me Turner is (or will be) the best position prospect in the draft. He sounds like a nice player that deserves first-round consideration but, please TR, not at no. 5.

BBCOR has made scouts jobs a lot easier.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance with Disco Dan View Post
    Nothing I've read convinces me Turner is (or will be) the best position prospect in the draft. He sounds like a nice player that deserves first-round consideration but, please TR, not at no. 5.
    This sums up my current position on Turner. Yes, he is a nice player with some intriguing tools, but I don't think he is one of the top-5 players in the draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong on this observation - If both Turner and Gordon are outstanding fielders at shortstop and I'm talking Marc Belanger good isn't being a slap hitter okay? I certainly think so.
    With the #5 pick? No, you can't take Mark Belanger. He was good at exactly one baseball activity. You can't pick a guy with only two (and defense and arm strength really are the same tool) of the five tools and expect him to work out. You'd have to have everything break perfectly. If Belanger had only turned out to be an average defensive player, he probably would have never made it to the majors. He had no other tools that made him useful.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    If the Twins decide Turner is the BPA, I have no problem with it. You can google practically as much info as you want on Turner and the vast majority is very positive. I don't recall seeing him referred to as a slap hitter, nor one word questioning whether he could stay at SS. Turner is rated by at least some as a 4 tool player, with power being below average. By below average, one said only 12-15 HR's. Our favorite team saw Stewart throw every pitch for two years. No reason to believe the Twins will use any less diligence on our next pick.
    Last edited by howieramone; 03-12-2014 at 11:13 AM.

9. This user likes howieramone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    If the Twins decide Turner is the BPA, I have no problem with it. You can google practically as much info as you want on Turner and the vast majority is very positive. I don't recall seeing him referred to as a slap hitter, nor one word questioning whether he could stay at SS. Turner is rated by at least some as a 4 tool player, with power being below average. By below average, one said only 12-15 HR's. Our favorite team saw Stewart throw every pitch for two years. No reason to believe the Twins will use any less diligence on our next pick.
    Turner came into the season with question marks about his power. Not only has his power been poor but one of his strengths, good plate discipline, hasn't shown. There is plenty of time to turn it around but he hasn't done anything yet to show he is a top 5 prospect.

11. These 3 users like cmb0252's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-13-2014), diehardtwinsfan (03-12-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-17-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    I wish I blindly trusted the scouts to make the right decision......
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I wish I blindly trusted the scouts to make the right decision......
    I wonder if the same group of scouts that gave us Levi "I am such a disappointment I NEVER get discussed in this forum" Michael are responsible for scouting Turner given the proximity of UNC and NC State. Even acknowledging the uncertainties involved in projecting human performance, this thought unnerves me just a little.
    Last edited by Dance with Disco Dan; 03-12-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance with Disco Dan View Post
    I wonder if the same group of scouts that gave us Levi "I am such a disappointment I NEVER get discussed in this forum" Michael are responsible for scouting Turner given the proximity of UNC and NC State. Even acknowledging the uncertainties involved in projecting human performance, this thought unnerves me just a little.
    Anyone who knows the Twins, knows Terry Ryan will make the final decision and everyone and his brother will see Trea Turner play and provide input. They are not going to leave this decision to Joe Area Scout. If Turner is a clunker the blame with fall on Ryan, if he becames a star the board will credit Bill Smith.

15. These 2 users like howieramone's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-13-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-17-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Actually, Ryan does not make the decision, the scouting director does. That's what we've been told, and I don't think Ryan is lying about that......now, Ryan is responsible for who the SD is, so it is still ultimately on him.

Nishioka, Worley, May, a bunch of college relievers....there are plenty of reasons to wonder if this is the same group that loved Sano and Buxton .....
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Actually, Ryan does not make the decision, the scouting director does. That's what we've been told, and I don't think Ryan is lying about that......now, Ryan is responsible for who the SD is, so it is still ultimately on him.

Nishioka, Worley, May, a bunch of college relievers....there are plenty of reasons to wonder if this is the same group that loved Sano and Buxton .....
    I'm not saying he doesn't let his scouting director make the decision, but the pros and cons are certainly presented to him and he has veto power. Everyone has always said Ryan is involved in all decisions, to think he is not intimately involved in this one is silly.

Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
    I think I would take Gatewood over Turner if I had to choose between the two. Maybe Gatewood doesn't stick at SS, maybe he does. I am still holding out hope for Kolek.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    ?...now, Ryan is responsible for who the SD is, so it is still ultimately on him....
    Huh, I honestly don't know, is that a St. Peter decision or A Ryan one? Who Would fire Johnson?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I won't argue with you on Nishi, though that one really looks like a Bill Smith "get something done" move... Perhaps I'm wrong. I have a tough time believing that anyone scouted him... though if you read the write-ups on it, it isn't as though everyone came out and said "bad move"... The press was clearly reading other reports in the press. I wonder if the scouts were doing the same...

As for Worley and May, I'm still shocked we got a bucket of balls for Revere, so I'm not going to complain about the return.

Senior Member MVP
    Revere was a 1.7 and 2+ WAR player at ages 23 and 24....I don't get why people think he had no value when he was dealt.
    Lighten up Francis....

22. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (03-17-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Revere was a 1.7 and 2+ WAR player at ages 23 and 24....I don't get why people think he had no value when he was dealt.
    Because I don't think he's ever going to be better than that. I like him and I hope he does well, but he's a speed guy who plays great defense, but has zero arm strength and zero power. He won't get a lot of walks b/c pitchers know he's not going to hurt them.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    He did have value or the Twins never would have gotten Trevor May in the trade. I like Revere but I'm glad they made the trade.

WAR can be a useful stat but according to WAR Pedro Florimon had the Twins 3rd best season since he had a 2.1 WAR which is better than everyone not named Mauer or Dozier.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I will have a problem with it. If Turner doesn't hit for gap power then the Twins are taking a safe pick to help now when there are much higher upside talents in the draft.

While Turner is not hitting for gap power and directly not addressing the #1 draft concern, Gatewood hasn't shown us anything new. Gatewood had raw power before the season and hitting a 500 ft HR doesn't change anything. He needs to show that he will actually be able to hit the ball instead of every once in awhile blasting one to the moon.

Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast