Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corporate Interview

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hope all goes well!!!
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Well, I think I killed it, thanks for all your help. So I'll share and maybe it will be helpful to someone else.

I came really prepared and organized, even though I was working with a short time frame. I wanted to show them I was serious. I bought a leather bound three ring binder, and some plastic sheets to hold the handouts without hole punching them, made four copies of everything (I was told there would only be two people here), and tabbed dividers to stay organized. I had handouts that evidenced my past experience (lesson plans, assignments, student evaluations etc.) that lent itself to the corporate world. I made mock documents anticipating the kind the materials they would need (in my case, on 'first class customer service' 'pitfalls of trainings' 'successful mentoring'). I also had my personal statement for law school, to show that I intended to leave academia, which also told my story and showed my ability to write in prose.

I was overdressed, but quickly asked to take my jacket off, and tried to set tempo; I volunteered handouts only as it seemed organic to our conversation. I basically led the conversation for the first 20 to 25 minutes. I was lucky both interviewers were very friendly. They asked the standard questions about pitfalls and stresses and mistakes. I had answers vaguely prepared, but I found myself moving in different directions.

One question I thought I killed was a cheesy, 'what superpower would i pick': I said this, "I don't want to sound glib, but I wouldn't want a superpower. Superheros are ostracized, cast off to bat caves and the north pole. I want to be part of community, I want to belong. I don't need any special feature to rise above the rest."

I had been collecting questions to ask them for over a week, but a few in particular they had never heard before and left them impressed. 1) What is the most prevalent factor in why people fail in your company? 2) What is one thing you could change about the culture of your company? 3) Tell me about an employee who has moved on from this company to greater horizons or about someone who worked themselves up from a low responsibility job?

It was about an hour and half affair, and they were both earnest, friendly people.

I still have some hurdles, and as I left, they gave me the standard "We're still reviewing other applicants, so we'll be in touch," but it felt like lip service. I hadn't actually filled out an application, so they told me that was the next step, which also includes a background and drug test waiver (ugh?).
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 02-18-2014 at 09:08 PM.

3. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-19-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,196 Times in 1,697 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they come back with "we like you but you're overqualified", you'll know not to come to us for this brand of advice anymore. Crossing fingers for you.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,504 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    One question I thought I killed was a cheesy, 'what superpower would i pick': I said this, "I don't want to sound glib, but I wouldn't want a superpower. Superheros are ostracized, cast off to bat caves and the north pole. I want to be part of community, I want to belong. I don't need any special feature to rise above the rest."
    Ugh. Flight. You always choose flight.

Because it's badass.

Facepalm, Pseudo.

6. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-19-2014), PseudoSABR (02-19-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    which also includes a background and drug test waiver (ugh?).
    Ick. I'd pass a drug test but I might just walk away from an interview after that request. I hate the idea of workplace drug testing without cause.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Ugh. Flight. You always choose flight.

Because it's badass.

Facepalm, Pseudo.
    Well, it could be worse. Had he been interviewed by an attractive woman and said X-ray vision, for example.

9. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-19-2014), USAFChief (02-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Ick. I'd pass a drug test but I might just walk away from an interview after that request. I hate the idea of workplace drug testing without cause.
    Yeah, unless its transportation or you literally have someone's life in your hands, drug testing is a waste of time and just another example of big brother. As long as you show up to work on time, do your job and earn an honest living, why would it matter if you partook in a little harmless pot?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

I can fly in my dreams, guys. Sorry your bed life is so boring.

It's mutual insurance, so it's owned by the policy holders, which are also the employees, so the testing does make some sense.

I love that answer; it fits me. Maybe, with your permission I'd use it sometime (I hope never because I've been in this job forever and wouldn't even know how to interview for a new one).

13. This user likes Longdistancetwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (02-19-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Yeah, unless its transportation or you literally have someone's life in your hands, drug testing is a waste of time and just another example of big brother. As long as you show up to work on time, do your job and earn an honest living, why would it matter if you partook in a little harmless pot?
    It's not even about the drugs to me, really. It's the principle of the matter.

My job is a job, nothing more. It is not my life and my employer has no right to pry into what I'm doing during my off-hours, provided I'm not keeping human heads in my freezer.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,831 Times in 1,071 Posts
    It's not even about the drugs to me, really. It's the principle of the matter.

My job is a job, nothing more. It is not my life and my employer has no right to pry into what I'm doing during my off-hours, provided I'm not keeping human heads in my freezer.
    Well, even then it's none of their business. But I would hope the police or FBI or whomever would get wise to this and do something about it.

16. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Longdistancetwins View Post
    I love that answer; it fits me. Maybe, with your permission I'd use it sometime (I hope never because I've been in this job forever and wouldn't even know how to interview for a new one).
    That's the reason I shared it!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    I hate cheesy interview questions, they do nothing.....do you know which "kind" of interview you were subjeted to? For example, competency or behavioral?
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I hate cheesy interview questions
    "Give me an estimate, what is the total mass of planet Earth." "Roughly, how many gas stations are there, here in Nevada?" I like cheesy interview questions. I give them to the middle school math students I'm working with.

/ yeah, I guess I've been involved more with technical positions, where we want to see how the candidate thinks analytically...
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 02-21-2014 at 11:19 AM.

20. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-22-2014), USAFChief (02-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I hate cheesy interview questions, they do nothing.....do you know which "kind" of interview you were subjeted to? For example, competency or behavioral?
    Not sure what kind of interview. Lots of how did you handle difficult situations and failures type of stuff. It seemed pretty standard fare.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    "Give me an estimate, what is the total mass of planet Earth." "Roughly, how many gas stations are there, here in Nevada?" I like cheesy interview questions. I give them to the middle school math students I'm working with.

/ yeah, I guess I've been involved more with technical positions, where we want to see how the candidate thinks analytically...
    My answers to your questions would be... Starting with the gas station question...

"It changes every day... New gas stations open and old Gas stations close and turn into Persian Rug or Navajo jewelry outlets all the time. Its a moving target but roughly... There are 27.

The total mass of Earth changed significantly when Kirstie Alley left Cheers. Scientists are still working on the new calculations".

Would I get the job?

23. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-21-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    My answers to your questions would be... Starting with the gas station question...

"It changes every day... New gas stations open and old Gas stations close and turn into Persian Rug or Navajo jewelry outlets all the time. Its a moving target but roughly... There are 27.

The total mass of Earth changed significantly when Kirstie Alley left Cheers. Scientists are still working on the new calculations".

Would I get the job?
    Not if Kirstie Alley is one of your references.

25. These 3 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (02-22-2014), Riverbrian (02-21-2014), USAFChief (02-21-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    The second group of kids I gave that one to, started by trying to estimate the total weight of all the creatures on Earth. I didn't intervene right away, but they were off by only, oh, 15 orders of magnitude or so.

27. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-21-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The second group of kids I gave that one to, started by trying to estimate the total weight of all the creatures on Earth.
    I tried to put them all on a really big boat. Just a pair of them... Not all of them... Still The total mass made the boat sink!!

Before it sank... You wouldn't believe the waste left behind... There was no time to actually navigate the sinking boat because I was cleaning up crap constantly. It was a lot of work.

I was much more successful when I limited the cargo to a Zebra, Orangutan, Hyena and Tiger. Those 4 animals still left a lot of waste behind.

I'm thankful for indoor plumbing.

29. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-22-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    I can fly in my dreams, guys. Sorry your bed life is so boring.

It's mutual insurance, so it's owned by the policy holders, which are also the employees, so the testing does make some sense.
    I feel like there's a joke there somewhere...or perhaps an insult to my prowess between the sheets! Joke, definitely a joke (because I can't go after Pseudo - I already have two strikes!).
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

31. This user likes biggentleben's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (02-22-2014)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast