Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Claimed or not?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Honestly if all four of these guys are on the Twins roster you are guaranteed a 90 loss season anyway. Deduno is honestly the only one I'd consider keeping at this point.

Parmalee is what he is. He's never going to develop into a guy that isn't going to be exposed the longer he's in the lineup. When he's streaky good he's fine but more often than not he's a horrible defender with a so-so bat.

Diamond could have some value but he just doesn't have the stuff to be anything more than a #5 guy over the long haul. I'd much prefer to give Gibson or Deduno this spot anyway.

I think Worley is dead to this front office. They got ZERO from him at the major league level and he was just as bad in the minors. Its starting to look like he was damaged goods when we got him. I doubt he's in the league in 2 years. He's definitely not an upgrade over anyone we have. I'd be stunned if he's not one of the first of the guys with a serious chance of making the roster cut this spring.

Deduno should be in the rotation. If for whatever reason Gibson beats him out, I'd still put him in the pen. There is no reason a team as bad as the Twins should be cutting a guy with this much talent. He'd would by far be the first of this batch claimed if released.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another "Parmelee is a horrible defender" remark . . . no he isn't. He would actually be a solid *defensive replacement* late in games for Arcia (and Willingham, if Parm can play LF).

3. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (02-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This thread illustrates the problem I was irritated by a few months ago. At this point the Twins have backed themselves into a scenario of either losing Diamond/Worley/Deduno via waivers or basically giving Gibson zero shot of making the team out of the gate.

Losing any of these guys for nothing would be a shame and so would forcing Gibson to AAA ready or not. I'll say it again....sure would be nice if we could find a way to shed Correia. That second year....ugh.
    I agree, like everyone else, I didn't like the second year for Correia. Gibson probably should be the front runner for that spot simply for the development aspect but he's now likely a wildcard at best. Still, there is plenty of time for this to work out. There really only looks to be three useful free agent starters who will be able to start the season with a club on the free agent market, Correia could be moved.

I think people have given up on Worley WAAAAY to quickly. I don't see any way the Twins expose him to waivers. He would be claimed immediately. I think he is going to wind up on the roster as the 5th starter and have a semi successful season.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This thread illustrates the problem I was irritated by a few months ago. At this point the Twins have backed themselves into a scenario of either losing Diamond/Worley/Deduno via waivers or basically giving Gibson zero shot of making the team out of the gate.

Losing any of these guys for nothing would be a shame and so would forcing Gibson to AAA ready or not. I'll say it again....sure would be nice if we could find a way to shed Correia. That second year....ugh.
    To get anything at all for Diamond/Worley/Deduno would be a bonus. Gibson will be in the rotation when he's ready to shine. When we shed Correia we will probably get more than Diamond/Worley/Deduno combined.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    The Twins shouldn't be getting rid of any pitchers at this point. I'm not a huge fan of DeDuno/Diamond, but both could be cheap solid #5 guys if it breaks right.

Parmelee isn't bad, but this team has a ton of bats coming up very quickly. I'd much rather lose a guy whose ceiling appears to be a back up corner OF/1b then a guy who could be a starting pitcher (worley, Diamond, DeDeuno)
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All will get claimed, unless Denuno's shoulder is shot, and he might not, if they DFA him.

As far as Worley goes, he will be the fastest to get claimed out there. Simple question to ask: If Kyle Gibson were in this position, would he get claimed if DFA'd? Worley is the same age as Gibson (25) and he has had more success in the majors than Gibson already. Worley had elbow surgery September of 2012 to remove bone fragments and spurs and took until November to start conditioning. Thus he showed up out of shape and that messed his mechanics and got ugly (because his FB flattened) and resulted to injury. He showed up in shape this Spring Training and word is that he has his FB movement back. That would be great news
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

9. These 2 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

big dog (02-17-2014), johnnydakota (02-17-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I agree, like everyone else, I didn't like the second year for Correia. Gibson probably should be the front runner for that spot simply for the development aspect but he's now likely a wildcard at best. Still, there is plenty of time for this to work out. There really only looks to be three useful free agent starters who will be able to start the season with a club on the free agent market, Correia could be moved.
    Agreed, there is still time and injury issues. The unfortunate thing is that their best depth is lost if not immediately retained out of ST. And their most ready young contributor needs to be with the club if he is truly ready but I'm not sure, short of injury, that Gibson has any chance. I just don't like that for a prospect as old as he is. He should be up or not based on the merit of his readiness alone.

And I like it all a lot less because we aren't in this pickle but for a player with no future with the team, no trade value, and barely above replacement performance. I really want to root for Gibson and Worley having great years instead because they represent a real step toward the future rather than wheel spinning.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Correia is just fine, I'm pretty sure they could "shed" him at any point if they wanted too, however if he pitches like he did last year he is clearly an asset. One way or another I imagine Gibson gets his shot early, losing one of DeDuno or Diamond would hardly be the end of the world.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

12. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (02-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What's the over/under on players who hit the DL by Mar 31? I'll start the bidding at... 4

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, we have lots of rotation options to ensure the best 5 are going north and that's a good thing. We may be able to flip some of these pitchers for other assets and that's good. and we may loose a player or 2 for nothing and that's ok too because the pitchers replacing them were acquired for the same cost...nothing in terms of talent. so we net out with more talent what's the problem here if we loose someone on waivers?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In a 6-man bullpen there is no place to hide Deduno, Worley, or Diamond. Swarzak and Duensing are better at their respective roles.

In a 7-man bullpen the only way to keep Deduno, Worley, or Diamond is as a redundant long man instead of a more versatile reliever like Tomkin or Pressley.

An 8-man bullpen guts the bench.

Here's to hoping that Deduno, Worley and Diamond all sparkle this spring and the Twins get something of value for at least two of them. Let attrition or trade make a place for Gibson, Meyer, May.

There should be a poll as to who we prefer making the 25-man roster -- Parmelee or Kubel. I would vote for Parmelee.

16. This user likes Lonestar's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (02-17-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    After the WBC Slingin Sammy gets gobbled up the first 10 minutes ....but just my opinon
    Same here. Any team with a little leeway at #5 could throw Deduno out there. I've seen him shut down the Texas Rangers. I've also seen him walk himself into trouble. Fifth starters are like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12