http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_min&c_id=min

TwinsBaseball.com's Rhett Bollinger wrote some notes on:

The return/recovery of Samuel Deduno
    Kurt Suzuki taking over for Joe Mauer
    Phil Hughes looking forward to pitching in Target Field

Read Rhett daily at twinsbaseball.com.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
    Here's to hoping Pinto will be the starting catcher not Suzuki.

3. This user likes drock2190's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-16-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Let's hope it is pinto more often than Suzuki.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Is not Suzuki a much better glove man? Thus someone the older pitchers would rather have behind the plate? Just asking.

6. This user likes oldguy10's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-16-2014)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Is not Suzuki a much better glove man? Thus someone the older pitchers would rather have behind the plate? Just asking.
    Probably a lot of truth to this comment, in my opinion.

8. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-16-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Perhaps Suzuki is better defensively, but I am far more interested in evaluating young talent that is part of the future. I would hope Pinto would get to work on defense behind the plate in the majors, but if Suzuki is commanding the lion's share of playing time, I'd rather Pinto get consistent PT in AAA to work on his defense and develop.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

10. These 2 users like B Richard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-16-2014), mike wants wins (02-17-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    dont see Kurt as a long term solution, Maybe a long term backup.... Heres hoping Pinto makes it a non issue by riping the cover off the ball, and playing a tighter D

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pinto has a great arm and pop-time according to a few sources. Saw that in his CS% last season.

His game calling (like any minor league catching prospect) is in question as is his 'framing' (which is still something to be worked out metrically).

Suzuki is what he is.

I'm in the play Pinto as often as you can and days off as needed. Probably a 120-40 split (Pinto-Suzuki) in starts.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pulling for Pinto... But the catcher position is more than Offensive stats and passed ball percentage and CS percentage.

The catcher is your QB. He goes over the opposing team... He gets to know the pitchers and he calls the game.

That stuff doesn't show up in the stats. We just invested millions in starting pitching. A Veteren backstop who can get the most out of them means more than batting stats.

Is Suzuki that guy... I don't know. The pitching staffs that he has been working with lately have done pretty good.

With Deduno... I have high hopes for him. I'm a fan... I hope that shoulder is solid and with Hughes... I hope he loves Target Field.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Doesn't Pinto have a hurt throwing shoulder? I read that somewhere. Pinto will get his chance, but it won't come in April.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Make Pinto earn the starting job, if he can't outplay a journeyman catcher, then too bad so sad, here is your ticket to AAA son.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Um, how do we know from ST if he can beat out a journeyman? That's the whole point of bad teams in losing seasons, playing the youth and seeng what you have. That's why the last few years have been such a wasteland, they haven't even had youthful options. Now they do. Those guys should be playing to be ready (or finding out they likely won't be) when Sano, Buxtion, Rosario and Meyer are up here.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Make Pinto earn the starting job, if he can't outplay a journeyman catcher, then too bad so sad, here is your ticket to AAA son.
    Are you saying Suzuki is a journeyman? That would be weird because he has spent most of his career as the starter for the same organization. If you mean Fryer as a journeyman, I agree. Make Pinto beat him, which should be no problem for the kid.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Are you saying Suzuki is a journeyman? That would be weird because he has spent most of his career as the starter for the same organization. If you mean Fryer as a journeyman, I agree. Make Pinto beat him, which should be no problem for the kid.
    Whether Pinto beats out Fryer and Herrmann in spring training is irrelevant. Pinto's too important a prospect to the Twins to have him as a backup catcher.

I know that they keep talking about having Pinto learn under Suzuki and Steinbach and Mauer, but I don't believe it. They'll have him as the #1 catcher in AAA before they have him as the backup in the majors.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also hoping that Pinto wins the starting catchers job. Else he should be in AAA playing full time. Hopes he hits a ton and forces the Twins to give him the starting job.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Whether Pinto beats out Fryer and Herrmann in spring training is irrelevant. Pinto's too important a prospect to the Twins to have him as a backup catcher.

I know that they keep talking about having Pinto learn under Suzuki and Steinbach and Mauer, but I don't believe it. They'll have him as the #1 catcher in AAA before they have him as the backup in the majors.
    I don't know. A platoon seems plausible to me. He wouldn't languish on the bench if he plays three or four games a week and otherwise helps out in the bullpen. But Ryan has made a point of mentioning Fryer several times this offseason. So perhaps they want to give Pinto more starts at AAA than he could get up here.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why is anyone worried about this? Pinto will get the opportunity to earn the job. I'm glad we have Suzuki. It seems JR is learning his lessons by handing starting jobs to questionable guys with no legit back-up. Suzuki and Pinto is one of the least interesting topics regarding this team IMO. To me, it is a clear situation where the Twins brought in a Veteran while a rookie is getting adjusted.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

22. These 3 users like Badsmerf's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-17-2014), PseudoSABR (02-17-2014), TheLeviathan (02-17-2014)