Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Look Back: The 2012 Draft

I really wanted Correa the most. I fell in love with him probably a week or two prior to the draft but never thought we would "reach" and pick him at #2. When the Astros ended up picking him I was shocked (as were most) and was then just hoping that they wouldn't draft a pitcher just because they needed one. I was fairly high on Buxton too so at that time I wanted the Twins to pick him but Correa was my top choice. I was scared off by Buxton only because of people talking about how he was old for his class and didn't have any competition. Once they drafted Buxton, I remember watching MLB Network interview him live and he seemed really disappointed to be drafted by the Twins so I was kind of scared off by that at that time too.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I was pulling HARD for Buxton and literally jumped off my couch when the Stros took Correa. Then, I was terrified that we were going to pass on him. I stood up and was 2 feet away from my TV when they announced the pick and fist pumped so hard I might have popped a vein or two when they announced BB as the pick.

As to why? I just had read far too many scouting reports talking about his ceiling and his speed and his overall projectability that I thought it was worth taking a shot on the guy with the potential to easily be the best in the draft. Teams have been bitten in the ace many times trying to take a "safe" pick, so why not swing for the fences on a guy with by far the most potential? So glad he's a Twin.
    Last edited by InfraRen; 02-17-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @Infraren

Till I Collapse

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 99 Times in 74 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by InfraRen View Post
    I was pulling HARD for Buxton and literally jumped off my couch when the Stros took Correa. Then, I was terrified that we were going to pass on him. I stood up and was 2 feet away from my TV when they announced the pick and fist pumped so hard I might have popped a vein or two when they announced BB as the pick.

As to why? I just had read far too many scouting reports talking about his ceiling and his speed and his overall projectability that I thought it was worth taking a shot on the guy with the potential to easily be the best in the draft. Teams have been bitten in the ace many times trying to take a "safe" pick, so why not swing for the fences on a guy with by far the most potential? So glad he's a Twin.
    I think we would all take Buxton in a re-draft scenario right now. But I do think it is still early to say we for sure got the best player and those of us that wanted Appel were "wrong".

If Appel turns out to be an ace for 10 years, I think I would take that over Buxton, even if Buxton is a 30-30 guy in CF. I say that because we are always going to struggle to pay top tier free agent pichers to come here and you need pitching to win.

Look at some of the teams Texas had had in the past, 5+ all star caliber guys in their lineup and they could not sniff .500 with a poor pitching staff.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 02-17-2014 at 01:09 PM.

4. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-17-2014)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123