Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: TD Top Prospects: #2 Miguel Sano

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Thank goodness they went outside their normal processes and signed him. A testament to the scouts and negotiators that they recognized his potential, and signed him.
    As the scouting lore goes, the Twins were the first team to identify Miguel Cabrera as a super prospect. Their strong presence in Venezuela suggests they could have signed him if they would have ponied up the >$1.9 he signed for. Now THAT is something to cry about! I would certainly hope they learned from that painful experience!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    a. There was bad blood between Sano and the pitcher; from here, referring to a Reusse writeup:
    b. Lanigan was one of Jeff Smith's favorites. Ask any player in the Twins' organization (in private) who has played for Jeff Smith about how much they like him and what he is all about. I am amazed that he is still with the organization.
    Thrylos, I've asked you this in the past and never gotten an answer. Other than your posts here in this forum, I haven't seen anything that would indicate that there's a general dislike for Jeff Smith within the org, and the fact that he was tapped to manage in the AFL seems to indicate otherwise.

I understand that you have some sources that are somehow connected to the organization, but I don't think the line is all that fine between claiming that you personally don't care for him (which we all do to various people) and claiming soley on your authority that all of his former players don't care him and expecting people to believe you... especially without supplying any kind of documented evidence to corroborate this point and using only anonymous sources that you know.

Sources can be wrong, and I doubt any of us know all of Smith's former players. Anyone can claim to have contacts within the org. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for something a bit more solid to back it up.

As a fan who has no connections to the org, this is something I would be very interested in knowing.

3. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-15-2014)

It was a very busy summer with Miguel in the house. That season I was also a host mom to Eddie Rosario, Kennys Vargas, Jhonatan Arias, Jairo Rodriguez and Tyler Jones. Things were a little rocky the first couple of days. With English help from 1 of the other players, Miguel asked me if I was to old to take care of him. Miguel was barely 18 when he got to Elizabethton. I soon found out that I am 10-12 years older than his mother in the Dominican Republic. Miguel turned out to be a fine roomie needing assistance with basic etiquette and the "dreaded" English. But we learned to text the "babes" at the ballpark and became 1 happy if not LARGE family for the summer. My most proud moment for Miguel? His 1st interview on ESPN in ENGLISH! I can't wait to get to Fort Myers and bake him his favorite cake - tres leches.

5. These 7 users like Madre Dos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

chamoman (02-14-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (02-15-2014), cmathewson (02-16-2014), crarko (02-14-2014), Ncgo4 (02-16-2014), snepp (02-14-2014), Willihammer (02-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post

Sources can be wrong, and I doubt any of us know all of Smith's former players. Anyone can claim to have contacts within the org. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for something a bit more solid to back it up.

As a fan who has no connections to the org, this is something I would be very interested in knowing.
    Not going to claim to know anything close to all of Jeff Smith's former players, but I, too, have heard directly from former players who would not put Smith anywhere near the top of their list of favorite managers. Just FWIW
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Not going to claim to know anything close to all of Jeff Smith's former players, but I, too, have heard directly from former players who would not put Smith anywhere near the top of their list of favorite managers. Just FWIW
    But do they have the perspective (of time, of prior experience, etc) to make this judgement? I know that a few of my schoolteachers that I hated at the time were the ones who actually made me learn things, or at least tried and I was too stubborn to benefit - maybe the Twins braintrust sees the same kind of thing in Smith?

(Maybe this side topic belongs in some thread of its own, if there isn't a quick resolution to it.)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, john, I'm not inclined to hijack this thread further re Smith and I can't/won't go in to specifics. I just wanted to say thrylos isn't alone in having heard of a lack of enthusiasm for Smith from some players. Does that mean Smith's a bad manager? Of course not. Managing is not always about winning popularity contests.

As for Sano, I agree that there's nothing wrong with having someone with a bit more "attitude" than we've seen in the Twins' clubhouse recently. You wouldn't want a clubhouse full of guys like that without a manager who excels at handling those personalities (which is not Gardy's strong suit), but I also think that while having 25 "Minnesota nice" personalities might be a PR departments' dream, it isn't conducive to winning a lot of baseball games.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    As the scouting lore goes, the Twins were the first team to identify Miguel Cabrera as a super prospect. Their strong presence in Venezuela suggests they could have signed him if they would have ponied up the >$1.9 he signed for. Now THAT is something to cry about! I would certainly hope they learned from that painful experience!
    He was in their academy, and they thought they had him. Offered him $1 Mil and assumed he'd give them a discount. Biggest mistake of Terry Ryan's career. (#2? Big Pappy).
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123