Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aledmys Diaz: Do we want him and at what cost?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    If he can't stick at short, there's really no point. I'm all about adding assets, but adding to the redundancy of second or third base doesn't seem prudent, unless he can hit the bejesus out of the ball.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    From the scouting report and video, he looks to be a JJ Hardy type of shortstop. He may not have elite range, but smart placement by the coaches (and I have every confidence that Molitor and Vavra can place him properly) should extend that range and with a plus arm, he should be fine at short. IMO he's a much better option than Drew. A shortstop with power would be a great addition, even next to another limited range player next to him at 3B (Sano). He's only 23 - about the same age as Santana, 1 year older than Goodrum and 2 years older than Polanco, none of whom are major league ready. If he is, in fact, major league ready you have to go all in to get him. Even if we do draft a shortstop like Trea Turner, Diaz would be great trade bait. But it would allow the Twins to not draft a shortstop, but a high upside HS pitcher in the draft.

The only question would be, would Diaz have any interest in joining a rebuilding program, likely to lose 90+ games once again this season. My guess is if the Yankees want him to replace Jeter, they can out-muscle everyone to get him. The appeal of the Yankees, unfortunately, means that much.
    Last edited by ScottyB; 02-12-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'm not sure there is an adjective appropriate to describe how much I prefer throwing money at this guy over Drew.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'd rather guess here and get it wrong at $5M-$7M per than Drew.

I guess the question for the Twins isn't so much about money though, but rather how they feel about Danny Santana.

I'm along the lines of having 2 bullets in our SS gun...can't count on Santana as a 'can't miss' prospect - unlike Buxton and Sano - who have 'floors' that would play on the Twins (and most clubs) any year.

Buxton's is a floor Devon White, Torii Hunter, Cesar Cedeno, or Marquis Grissom type.
    Sano's floor is Dean Palmer or Mark Reynolds type.

Polanco doesn't look like he'll be able to transition to SS. He's only going to be 20 this year and some guys add strength at that age. So still plausible. It looks like his bat will place him more than anything.

I'm also fine with drafting Trea Turner...unless he had some glaring hole...if available at #5. SS's are at a premium. Hard to find. He has the speed, the arm, and the range. He may never hit more than 12-15 HR...but could hit .280 with his speed without much fanfare along with 35-55 SB a season. Works for me.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 65 Times in 44 Posts
    I think it would be worth it for the Twins to get this guy but they won't. We never outbid the Yankee's or LA for FA players. The Twins are more likely to hope that Florimon improves his hitting and that Santana improves his fielding than risking big money on an international player. The team is in development mode for this year anyway so I don't think they feel a sense of urgency to take a risk like that. They also might end up drafting their shortstop of future in this years draft. The Twins way is to develop and build from within unless absolute disaster strikes. They always love the guys they have on the farm.

Can you ever have enough good players? No. Do they have the money? Yes. Will they do it? I don't think so.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so let's talk about just how much we want him. Jose Abreu got 6/68M, right? Just how serious are we? That serious?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Abreu is, without much argument, the best Serie Nacional batter of the past 5 years, maybe 10. Diaz isn't even in that conversation. I guess I'm missing something.

7. These 2 users like Willihammer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-12-2014), PseudoSABR (02-13-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'm not sure there is an adjective appropriate to describe how much I prefer throwing money at this guy over Drew.
    How about 'sane'

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Abreu is, without much argument, the best Serie Nacional batter of the past 5 years, maybe 10. Diaz isn't even in that conversation. I guess I'm missing something.
    Agreed, there's not nearly the hype on this guy as there was for Abreu, his price should be much less

That being said, if the Dodgers, Yankees or another big club wants him, we probably can't kid ourselves, the Twins would have to overpay to pry him out of the big market, contending team.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Ok, so let's talk about just how much we want him. Jose Abreu got 6/68M, right? Just how serious are we? That serious?
    I'll go Nishioka Money.

11. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (02-12-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins may take Trea Turner, a speedy college junior SS, in the 2014 draft. He projects to be a SS if he makes it to MLB. He's a potential leadoff hitter who can steal bases (which would allow the Twins in 2016 to bat Buxton #3, Sano #4 and Mauer at 2 or 5 depending on his power numbers after the move to first and considering his age). No need to panic at SS. There are a lot of options including trading for one.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he can stick at SS, I'd say go for it.

In a year of experimentation that we're facing, with prospects (hopefully) coming up and the team not yet ready to contend unless a ton of things click, I don't see the Twins spending big dollars on a relatively unknown quantity from Cuba. Lots of reasons why:

1. Signability issues versus large-market teams
    2. I think the Twins consider the pipeline of Santana, Polanco, Goodrum to be adequate
    3. The possibility of signing Turner at #5 in 2014
    4. There are a lot of options (weigh them how you will) in-house. Florimon will play good D and not hit very much. Escobar showed more pop in the second half of last year and is considered a strong fielder (though arguably more suited to be a backup because of his ability to play multiple positions). Then we also have three wildcard possibilities in Jason Bartlett, Dozier moving over from 2nd when Rosario is ready, and the return of Nishi (ok, I'm joking about that one). But a long-shot possibility is that T. Plouffe starts playing a lot more SS when Sano comes up. Stranger things have happened.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    Definitely go get this kid. He is young and reports sound pretty good. I prefer him to Drew by a lot. I haven't seen any experts throw out possible contract size but I'm sure we will start to hear rumors after his show case.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Wait, so you don't add an asset (even if he moves to another position he's tradable) for nothing other than money? It doesn't cost a pick. It doesn't cost daft money. It doesn't cost a roster spot. It costs nothing but money. I don't get how any number of SS in the system would make this team say "we don't need more assets", and when you look at the SS in the system, I really don't get it.

If he becomes a tradable asset, all they did was spend money to make a trade, or, buy a future player. Assuming they have money to spend, which seems obvious given the $25MM they just got for nothing other than existing, I don't see any reason other than not wanting to spend money for not doing this*

*assuming he's a legit prospect, of course.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    How is using your assets to get better, panicking, exactly? That's what the money is for....to get and retain players.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    How about 'sane'
    It's "sane" to pick the guy who has never played minor or major league ball in the US over the guy who has, and successfully to boot, to throw money at?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    The Twins may take Trea Turner, a speedy college junior SS, in the 2014 draft. He projects to be a SS if he makes it to MLB. He's a potential leadoff hitter who can steal bases (which would allow the Twins in 2016 to bat Buxton #3, Sano #4 and Mauer at 2 or 5 depending on his power numbers after the move to first and considering his age). No need to panic at SS. There are a lot of options including trading for one.
    Why would you trade for one if there are options other than having to give up a prospect? Also any GM who doesn't consider a free agent SS because he MAY draft one in six months should not have a job. For one, Turner may go before the Twins pick, for another, he may not be that good and may not be worth the #5 pick. Plenty of people have Turner a lot further down the draft boards.

20. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    It's "sane" to pick the guy who has never played minor or major league ball in the US over the guy who has, and successfully to boot, to throw money at?
    It's sane to go after the younger guy you may be able to include in future plans, who is more likely cheaper and doesn't require a draft pick. It seems much less sane to give three years at $10 mill per to an injury prone, 31-year-old who skated by on RHP and home splits which mask a clear and quick decline into what should be a bench/utility role.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 02-12-2014 at 01:50 PM.

22. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (02-12-2014), twinsfan34 (02-12-2014)

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Go for it. We have extra money for the next few years and this would bring another player into the system that would have an upside. Not all will work, but any extra talent can always be used(even as a trade chip)

24. This user likes beckmt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-12-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Why would you trade for one if there are options other than having to give up a prospect? Also any GM who doesn't consider a free agent SS because he MAY draft one in six months should not have a job. For one, Turner may go before the Twins pick, for another, he may not be that good and may not be worth the #5 pick. Plenty of people have Turner a lot further down the draft boards.
    This, this, this.

The upcoming draft should have zero bearing on the construction of this year's MLB roster. Take the BPA in the draft (as one should in every draft) and then base your MLB roster decisions on your current roster, available trades/free agents, and a couple of guys in the upper minors.

26. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-12-2014), mike wants wins (02-12-2014), nicksaviking (02-15-2014)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast