Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Mauer's 2009 season the best ever for an AL Catcher?

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mauer's 2009 season the best ever for an AL Catcher?

This article suggests that Joe Mauer's 2009 season was the best ever for an AL catcher. If Joe could get back to anything resembling his 2009 stats, this could be a very fun season.

Other players on the list include Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Frank Robinson.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    This article suggests that Joe Mauer's 2009 season was the best ever for an AL catcher. If Joe could get back to anything resembling his 2009 stats, this could be a very fun season.

Other players on the list include Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Frank Robinson.
    Had a power surge that year which one would have thought would have continued into this decade.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,528 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    Had a power surge that year which one would have thought would have continued into this decade.
    At first glance, yes... But then you look at all those wall-scraping opposite field homers and realize "not so much".

2009 Joe Mauer was pretty much just everyday Joe Mauer with a four leaf clover stuffed into his jock. A lot of fun to watch but hard to repeat, especially after moving to Target Field.

4. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (02-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 313 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the chances of 2009 Mauer returning have finally been deflated, along with the Metrodome roof.

Still a very good player, of course.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    At first glance, yes... But then you look at all those wall-scraping opposite field homers……
    Those count : )

If i recall, Mauer began 2009 on the DL… so perhaps he had fresh legs when he joined the team and that carried him, and if playing first base this year means fresh legs, then he could have another nice year. Lots of ifs but also something to be optimistic about.

7. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (02-12-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,528 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post

If i recall, Mauer began 2009 on the DL… so perhaps he had fresh legs when he joined the team and that carried him, and if playing first base this year means fresh legs, then he could have another nice year. Lots of ifs but also something to be optimistic about.
    They count but they're not likely to be repeated and involve a fair amount of luck. 3-4 feet closer and some of those balls are outs, not homers.

But yeah, Mauer missed all or most of April 2009 with an injury and came back on fire, hitting .400 for a couple of months, IIRC.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    They count but they're not likely to be repeated and involve a fair amount of luck. 3-4 feet closer and some of those balls are outs, not homers.

But yeah, Mauer missed all or most of April 2009 with an injury and came back on fire, hitting .400 for a couple of months, IIRC.
    Agreeing,Add in the fact that is harder for player to hit home runs at Target field ...Me thinks Joe can approach 20 (15-20) but we wont see 25+ homers again, and thats fine as long as we get his normal terrific hitting and OBP( hopefully he has more ,many more chances to drive in runs)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only other season I could think of was by Campanella (1953) Bench (named for NL season), Piazza (1997), and Pudge (1999).

Mauer is the only active player on either list.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Mauer is the only active player on either list.
    Fernando Rodney was there as a closer (Craig Kimbrel too, if you include the NL).

While his power spike that year obviously appears to be an outlier, it doesn't change the fact that Mauer was just absurdly good that year, so it's cool to see it put in this context as a best ever season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 313 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post

I recall "bilateral leg strengh" was often cited at the time as the reason behind his success.

13. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (02-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 362 Times in 184 Posts
    While I don't think he will match that 2009 season power wise, I think the move to first base will help him overall.

It should also be noted that 2013 was Joe Mauer's 2nd (tied) best year as a pro for OPS+ and third highest in OPS and Slugging. I could definitely see him having a .900 OPS this year at first base.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Mauer was over .400 until June 21(his 46th game played)
    his lowest point was .353 on Aug 1 (game 79)