Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: TD Top Prospects: #3 Alex Meyer

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    They broke camp with Aaron Hicks on the roster just last season. I'd say that service time matters less to the Twins than it does many other teams, much to my chagrin.
    Except that we had no one else , unless you think of Antoan Richardson ....

Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    Shoulder soreness is not a malady or disease. Shoulder soreness that last months is a symptom of a condition. What Alex Meyer has is an medical condition that the Twins were unable diagnose to treat with any precision that magically went away after 2+ months of inactivity.
    Huh? What did you hear? I thought they did the diagnosis and the resulting treatment was rest. Although I never did hear a diagnosis.

"Of course service time means a great deal. If he does come up he apparently has the stuff to be the staff ace. That's why if they are within shouting distance of contention that is when he should be brought up. If they are contending and Meyer is doing well then I would not be as content to let him stay in the minors."

Yes thank you. If you are in contention take your best shot with your biggest guns even if they aren't broken in.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ncgo4 View Post
    Has Meyer been invited to training camp? I assume he has but have not been able to confirm anywhere.
    I assume that you mean "Major League" Training camp. Yes. A non-roster invitee.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wabene View Post
    Huh? What did you hear? I thought they did the diagnosis and the resulting treatment was rest. Although I never did hear a diagnosis.

"Of course service time means a great deal. If he does come up he apparently has the stuff to be the staff ace.

That's why if they are within shouting distance of contention that is when he should be brought up.

If they are contending and Meyer is doing well then I would not be as content to let him stay in the minors."

Yes thank you. If you are in contention take your best shot with your biggest guns even if they aren't broken in.
    But that begs the question the other way and is challengeable from one line of logic- how do you get to be a contender, if your best players that are your main best hope in becoming contenders are being purposely held back from being "broken in?"

What if the Twins aren't within shouting dstance of being contenders in 2014, or then yet again, in 2015? Would you be willing to wait to call up a guy who "apprently has the stuff to be the staff ace" until 2016?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    "What if the Twins aren't within shouting dstance of being contenders in 2014, or then yet again, in 2015? Would you be willing to wait to call up a guy who "apprently has the stuff to be the staff ace" until 2016? " The original post I was responding to said if the Twins are contending then he was content if he stays in the minors. I disagreed with that sentiment. I have no problem with Meyer coming up right off the bat. I also have no problem in him working on what he has to work on at the minor league level and earn his way up and it is a bonus if we get an extra year under control. We all expect to see him in 2014. He did well in AA but only 70 innings. I am ok with him proving himself at AAA before the call up. No one is suggesting that if he is 1.5 ERA in AAA that we hold him back til 2016 or even 2015.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 854 Times in 550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    "What if the Twins aren't within shouting dstance of being contenders in 2014, or then yet again, in 2015? Would you be willing to wait to call up a guy who "apprently has the stuff to be the staff ace" until 2016? " The original post I was responding to said if the Twins are contending then he was content if he stays in the minors. I disagreed with that sentiment. I have no problem with Meyer coming up right off the bat. I also have no problem in him working on what he has to work on at the minor league level and earn his way up and it is a bonus if we get an extra year under control. We all expect to see him in 2014. He did well in AA but only 70 innings. I am ok with him proving himself at AAA before the call up. No one is suggesting that if he is 1.5 ERA in AAA that we hold him back til 2016 or even 2015.
    But what about if his ERA is closer to 3.50 with good underlying peripherals? Of late, the club has been a big proponent of "mastering" a level before promotion. What about on the closer calls? Other clubs have no problem ignoring minor league stats if they're sold on a guy's big league potential.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The rarest and most coveted type of prospect in the Minnesota Twins' system has been the hard-throwing, dominant starting pitcher.

I don't think that this type of pitcher was particularly 'coveted' by the Twins. For years they attached more importance to a pitcher's height than to his SO/9 (or SO%, if you prefer). I believe they only recently have started to value the strikeout, and not a moment too soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12