Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Article: TD Top Prospects: #4 Kohl Stewart

  1. #1
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,286
    Like
    1
    Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    231

    Article: TD Top Prospects: #4 Kohl Stewart


  2. #2
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,097
    Like
    367
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Up to 6 years to begin (to only possibly) getting dividends on a high-end first round pick?

    For an athlete of this level?

    The fact that he wasn't a baseball-first guy was sold as a good thing.

    Something seems askew here with this transaction- definitely not the type of high-end pick in the Twins standard MO. I don't remember any discussion of this "crudeness" in his form leading up to, and right after, draft day- this whole deal now sounds a lot more speculative than last June. And a comp with Trevor May? By Trevor's own admission, he isn't the greatest athlete.

    Again, a truly great athlete like Stewart should respond more quickly to a training regimen than 6 years to refine and master his motion and strengthen his arm, especially if he already has 4 pitches in his repertiore to varying degrees of success and effectiveness. Let the grumbling begin.....and apparently, start looking for yet another high-upside arm next June
    Last edited by jokin; 02-11-2014 at 08:24 AM.

  3. #3
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    715
    Like
    82
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Jim Callis in his Wednesday draft chat a month before the draft, said Stewart would be up by 2015. Who knows?

  4. #4
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,097
    Like
    367
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Jim Callis in his Wednesday draft chat a month before the draft, said Stewart would be up by 2015. Who knows?
    At this point, I'd settle for splitting the difference, but thanks for something more positive to dwell on.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    472
    Like
    30
    Liked 99 Times in 74 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Jim Callis in his Wednesday draft chat a month before the draft, said Stewart would be up by 2015. Who knows?
    That is definitely tough to predict. I think the Twins will be cautious, given that he has basically never focused solely on baseball.

    Either way, I think this was a good pick by the Twins, your system can't ever have enough high-end starting pitching prospects and this is where I would rate him as far as our prospects go. If we add another this draft and only one turns out to be an ace, I will take it over low end position players who will be more immediate gratification.

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,156
    Like
    19
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    I'd guess Law wouldn't normally even rank a player in the top 100 if he truely thought they would take six years to make it. I suspect that his extended timeline prediction was at least in part due to his perception that the Twins are ultra-conservative with their players. In other words, would Law still be predicting six years if Stewart had been drafted by the Mets? Probably not.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    472
    Like
    30
    Liked 99 Times in 74 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'd guess Law wouldn't normally even rank a player in the top 100 if he truely thought they would take six years to make it. I suspect that his extended timeline prediction was at least in part due to his perception that the Twins are ultra-conservative with their players. In other words, would Law still be predicting six years if Stewart had been drafted by the Mets? Probably not.
    That is a good point. He would be up in 3 and guess who would criticize that? Keith Law.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    150
    Like
    14
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    It would be exciting to see him and Kolek going back to back in a few years wouldn't it?

  9. #9
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,097
    Like
    367
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'd guess Law wouldn't normally even rank a player in the top 100 if he truely thought they would take six years to make it. I suspect that his extended timeline prediction was at least in part due to his perception that the Twins are ultra-conservative with their players. In other words, would Law still be predicting six years if Stewart had been drafted by the Mets? Probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    That is a good point. He would be up in 3 and guess who would criticize that? Keith Law.
    Excellent points, both.

    You could also look at it from another developmental perspective, the Rays drafted James Shields in the 16th round and it took 6 years for him to debut, which seems about right. Does anyone think they would have to tinker with a higher upside arm like Stewart for anywhere near that long?
    Last edited by jokin; 02-11-2014 at 08:55 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    I can't get too worked up over ETA projections for 18 year olds who haven't played a year of full-season baseball, yet.

    Go back a year ago. How many people were projecting Byron Buxton to be knocking on the MLB door by 2014? He obviously had potential, as the #2 pick in the draft, but there were questions due to his age and relatively little experience facing tough pitching in his rural HS. He had off the chart "tools" but we hadn't seen him use those tools for a full season. Now we have.

    This is a similarly telling season for Stewart. A year from now, we'll have a much better idea whether he's going to be a "one step at a time" prospect or whether his ascension will be more Kershaw-like.

  11. #11
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I think that Stewart being a full-time baseball guy is very good news, but with any high school pick, there are risks, especially pitchers. Consider, he was shut down for the final two weeks of the season last year and didn't pitch in Instructs either due to the sore shoulder.

    Would there be any negative in him spending the spring in EST and then either getting two months in Cedar Rapids or Elizabethton, just to ease into the full time baseball thing? People worry too much about ETA. The key is to make him the best he can be and figuring out the best way for him to do that.

    I suspect he'll start in EST and move up to Cedar Rapids in May or so. He'll have to be on an innings limit. CR will likely have a 6-man rotation.

    But, when it comes to upside and talent, he's in the elite category. His upside is tremendous, but I personally think caution is a good thing. I still think he starts 2015 in Ft. Myers at 20 and could be up by 22. That's pretty young, pretty impressive. I think 2016 is somewhat realistic, and yet still very aggressive.

  12. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Monkeypaws (02-11-2014)

  13. #12
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,097
    Like
    367
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I think that Stewart being a full-time baseball guy is very good news, but with any high school pick, there are risks, especially pitchers. Consider, he was shut down for the final two weeks of the season last year and didn't pitch in Instructs either due to the sore shoulder.

    Would there be any negative in him spending the spring in EST and then either getting two months in Cedar Rapids or Elizabethton, just to ease into the full time baseball thing? People worry too much about ETA. The key is to make him the best he can be and figuring out the best way for him to do that.

    I suspect he'll start in EST and move up to Cedar Rapids in May or so. He'll have to be on an innings limit. CR will likely have a 6-man rotation.

    But, when it comes to upside and talent, he's in the elite category. His upside is tremendous, but I personally think caution is a good thing. I still think he starts 2015 in Ft. Myers at 20 and could be up by 22. That's pretty young, pretty impressive. I think 2016 is somewhat realistic, and yet still very aggressive.
    Caution is one thing. What John was alluding to was quite another thing, as he was making Keith Law sound like somehow the Twins getting Stewart to the majors "before this decade is out" is akin to the enormous gamble that this country and John Kennedy took in attempting a landing on the Moon.

    I do prefer the prospect of a 2016 debut.... so I can come down from the ceiling now?
    Last edited by jokin; 02-11-2014 at 09:11 AM.

  14. #13
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    As Jim Crikket pointed out so eloquently... we don't have any idea at this point what he can become. let's see how he does in his first full season as a pro. I respect Law, but no one knows for sure, myself include. It's fun to read all kinds of opinions and we'll just see what happens.

  15. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    tobi0040 (02-11-2014)

  16. #14
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    472
    Like
    30
    Liked 99 Times in 74 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    As Jim Crikket pointed out so eloquently... we don't have any idea at this point what he can become. let's see how he does in his first full season as a pro. I respect Law, but no one knows for sure, myself include. It's fun to read all kinds of opinions and we'll just see what happens.
    We also can't put too much stock in his rookie league numbers. Berrios had a 1.17 ERA and 49 K in 30 IP in rookie league. Then had a 3.99 ERA with basically a K per inning in low A. His K to BB went from 12.5 to 2.5. Certainly ripping up rookie league is better than not, but he was not the first pitcher to come back to reality in A ball.

  17. #15
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,097
    Like
    367
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    As Jim Crikket pointed out so eloquently...

    we don't have any idea at this point what he can become.

    let's see how he does in his first full season as a pro. I respect Law, but no one knows for sure, myself include. It's fun to read all kinds of opinions and we'll just see what happens.

    I would quibble a bit with this conclusion. We do have an idea of what he can become.....or the Twins wouldn't have taken a shot at him with such a lofty pick...... at this point, what we don't know is if he will become that potential Ace/#2 arm. I can live with that and with what we know about his background/makeup and still fairly anticipate a shorter development process than 6 years. Certainly, our expectations for a quicker return on investment with Stewart are reasonable, compared to say, another high upside arm like Louis Thorpe, with whom we can be far more comfortably patient over a longer time frame.

  18. #16
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    159
    Like
    4
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Regarding the “a good five years away from the majors.” quote from Law, there is this little tidbit from Baseball America back in October:

    Closest To The Majors
    High School Players
    1. Kohl Stewart, rhp, Twins (1)
    2. Tyler Danish, rhp, White Sox (2)
    3. Hunter Harvey, rhp, Orioles (1)
    4. Austin Meadows, of, Pirates (1)
    5. Clint Frazier, of, Indians (1)

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...draft-classes/

    I think the take home message here is that no one knows how quickly Stewart is going to progress.

  19. #17
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I would quibble a bit with this conclusion. We do have an idea of what he can become.....or the Twins wouldn't have taken a shot at him with such a lofty pick...... at this point, what we don't know is if he will become that potential Ace/#2 arm. I can live with that and with what we know about his background/makeup and still fairly anticipate a shorter development process than 6 years. Certainly, our expectations for a quicker return on investment with Stewart are reasonable, compared to say, another high upside arm like Louis Thorpe, with whom we can be far more comfortably patient over a longer time frame.

    Fair enough.

  20. #18
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    459
    Like
    135
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    13
    If Stewart is a top prospect, I've ran some queries for high school pitchers and it would seem if he's going to be a 4+ WAR a year type of pitcher, he'll be up in 3.7 years or less. If he's going to be below 4 WAR it'll take longer than the 3.7 years. If he takes more than 6 years, he'll be lucky to put up 8 career WAR and would most likely be a reliever/spot starter. The 6 years also factors in lost time to injury (left it in as it often affects pitching performance). 3.7 years is May 2017 for those of your keeping track at home.

  21. #19
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    472
    Like
    30
    Liked 99 Times in 74 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Very interesting. Maybe adjust a little for the fact that he has never been a full time pitcher, but good work.

  22. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,520
    Like
    0
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by markos View Post
    Regarding the “a good five years away from the majors.” quote from Law, there is this little tidbit from Baseball America back in October:

    Closest To The Majors
    High School Players
    1. Kohl Stewart, rhp, Twins (1)
    2. Tyler Danish, rhp, White Sox (2)
    3. Hunter Harvey, rhp, Orioles (1)
    4. Austin Meadows, of, Pirates (1)
    5. Clint Frazier, of, Indians (1)

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...draft-classes/

    I think the take home message here is that no one knows how quickly Stewart is going to progress.
    Not only BA but Law's ESPN draft covering partner Christopher Crawford said the same thing. I find it odd that Law suggested it would take that long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.