Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Second Chance for Aaron Hicks

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting he worked on strength. Hope that doesn't make him slower.
    Is he going to continue being a switch hitter?

Hopefully, he will just do whatever the hell Sir Rodney tells him to do!

4. This user likes Gene Larkin Fan Club's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-11-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone else see a lot of similarities between Hicks and Dozier? Both had really bad rookie years, got sent down and did not get called back in September. Dozier was being written off last year at this time just the way Hicks is now. Dozier came out and had a really solid 2nd year. I have high hopes that Hicks will do the same. He has the talent to do it. I would love to see an outfield in August of Hicks, Buxton and Arcia.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like Hicks has his feet firmly planted on the ground. I know he caught some flak over not playing winter ball, but I have no problem with what he decided. This is his career and who can argue that spending 3-4 days a week working with Carew is not as beneficial as playing what are essentially meaningless games in foreign countries for teams interested solely in winning games, rather than working on improving his skills.

Stumbling in your first exposure to MLB isn't new, nor is it fatal for your career. Denard Span, Michael Cuddyer and others have had false starts, regrouped and gone on to successful careers. Maybe Hicks will, too. If so, it would be huge for the Twins in 2014 and beyond.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Of course.... it's never really been a question... only with fans.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Larkin Fan Club View Post
    Hopefully, he will just do whatever the hell Sir Rodney tells him to do!
    Because of Carew's track record as a hitting coach? I'm kidding, but it's great to have someone to just bounce things off of, and to be able to talk to... especially when the guy is a Hall of Famer.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supfin99 View Post
    Does anyone else see a lot of similarities between Hicks and Dozier? Both had really bad rookie years, got sent down and did not get called back in September. Dozier was being written off last year at this time just the way Hicks is now. Dozier came out and had a really solid 2nd year. I have high hopes that Hicks will do the same. He has the talent to do it. I would love to see an outfield in August of Hicks, Buxton and Arcia.
    There certainly are a lot of similarities... It's probably not fair to either of them to assume the results will be the same, but I think giving up on Hicks based on 2013 would be completely silly.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a lot of hope for Mr. Hicks, I think he will be very good and figure things out. Last year didn't work out for him. Doesn't mean this year won't . Sounds like he has a bit of chip on his shoulder which is always a good thing for an athlete to have. I think he will be a lot better then people give him credit for
    Last edited by pierre75275; 02-11-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Hicks's experience should serve to sober the enthusiasts of Twins' prospect's MiL statistics--"it's a whole new game" as they say.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    Hick's seemed to have a hole in his swing last year as i remember saying to myself I hope he just makes contact when he was up to bat. Just making contact would be an improvement. I was surprised by his power last year and if he is bulking up that should only help that even more. Is the bulk up an admission that he likely will need to play a corner position and need to hit for more power? I really like his athleticism and if he makes it I believe he will be good for a long time and a big part of maybe the best outfield the Twins have ever had. This truly is a big year for him.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

A Major Problem with Hicks...

Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Is what if he has a superman spring...he will still be sent down to AAA because once again we wont know if its real...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I still have a lot of hope for Hicks, and would really like to see him in the Twins OF this season. I think the team will need his defense and to be brutally honest I'd really like it if I didn't see Willingham rumbling around out there. Hopefully, he's made some adjustments and will have a better approach at the plate.

While I liked his patience and willingness to take pitches, it seemed like he put himself too far in the hole and really paralyzed himself up there until he eventually would flail at something. Mentally he was a mess at the plate. Hopefully, Carew & Brunansky can get him settled down so he can use his talent.

I really think Hicks is going to be a mainstay in the OF. He can hold down CF just fine until Buxton is ready, and I think he'll hit enough to slide over to a corner slot and give the team a solid defensive alignment even with Arcia in one of the other corner slots. It's worked for the Twins before, when Gomez & Span covered 3/4 of the OF on their own and gave Kubel or Cuddyer some relief from having to chase down everything.

15. This user likes jmlease1's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (02-12-2014)

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supfin99 View Post
    Does anyone else see a lot of similarities between Hicks and Dozier? Both had really bad rookie years, got sent down and did not get called back in September.
    I seem to remember reading stories that Dozier had reached out to Hicks to encourage him after he got sent down in kind of "been there, lived through it and made it back" kind of way.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear about him and Carew.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Of course you don't give up on the guy. Ideally, he would have to earn his way back to the majors by succeeding in the minors but Pressley doesn't excite me at all. We know hicks still plays good D and we know he has good power. I suspect he will start in the minors but even a month of hitting .270 or better will get him back up.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Hicks's experience should serve to sober the enthusiasts of Twins' prospect's MiL statistics--"it's a whole new game" as they say.
    Another way to see it, Kwak, is that guys like Hunter and Cuddyer stumbled out of the gates. It's a common occurance. Therefore there's little logic in taking a sober view towards Hicks just yet.

Someone (cmath?) posted BA's top 10 Twins prospects from 2008 in another thread, juxtaposing it with our 2014 top 10. Virtually everyone will agree that the 2014 group is vastly superior. And yet, every single prospect on the rather unimpressive 2008 list had at least a cup of coffee in MLB. So, when I see the stats and read the scouting reports on the 2014 group, it doesn't sober me, it excites me. Hick's experience is completely irrelevant to me.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still hold out quite a bit of hope for him, though I do think that regardless of how he does this spring, he starts in Rochester and gets the call after he's earned it. I'd rather not have a repeat of last year.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Hicks took batting practice the last 2 days. They take 4 rounds of 5 swings. Yesterday his first three rounds were from the left side and the last the right. Today I only watched his first which again was from the left.

I'd really like him to pick it up and start with the Twins. We need all the sticks we can get.

22. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks should get a ton of reps this year at AAA and MLB to see what he can do. There came a point last year where everything got in his head. The way I see it, if he has good speed and a great arm. If he can be a .260 BA/.330 OBP guy with those assets he is a starting CF in this league and would at a minimum could be traded. If he is a .280/.350 guy with 20-30 SB, and a great arm and range he could probably be worth a shot in LF or RF.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast