Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins' Terry Ryan battling treatable form of cancer

Wow, why so snippy, I apologize for my comments if they bothered anyone. I'm a dermatologist and deal with squamous cell carcinoma of the skin everyday. I was just noting that it seemed like more than just a localized skin cancer to have Oncology and Mayo Clinic involved and have press release. I'll leave my commenting to my amatuer baseball knowledge.

2. This user likes goliath's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Badsmerf (02-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    Wow, why so snippy, I apologize for my comments if they bothered anyone. I'm a dermatologist and deal with squamous cell carcinoma of the skin everyday. I was just noting that it seemed like more than just a localized skin cancer to have Oncology and Mayo Clinic involved and have press release. I'll leave my commenting to my amatuer baseball knowledge.
    Believe me, I don't think Nick's comment (or mine) were directed towards you (since you know what you are talking about) it's the armchair Doctors who often come out of the woodworks.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get well soon, Terry.

5. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SpiritofVodkaDave (02-10-2014), thetank (02-10-2014)

Liked 1,268 Times in 733 Posts

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, didn't mean to be snippy. We just want to be very careful about having people form medical conclusions based on a 4-paragraph press release, especially with a sensitive matter such as this.

And yes, the comment wasn't really directed at you.

Basal cell carcinomas are the mildest and most common form of skin cancers. Squamous cell carcinomas can be more aggresive and metastasis. It's unclear from the press release if the squamous cell carcinoma originated in the skin (they can also arise in mouth, throat, and other body areas lined by squamous cells like the chest, bladder, etc). It says lump in the neck. It may have been a lymph node. So, he may be getting further work up from Oncology for the primary lesion (they imply it is localized-confined to the neck) and possible need for further treatment like radiation and/or chemotherapy.
    I wish him a full speedy recovery.
    Based on Bollinger's tweets, it looks like your interpretive comments were right on. I just wish I had known you were a dermatologist when I first read them.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 02-10-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Liked 2,280 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sincere Best Wishes to the GM of my baseball Team. I'm Hoping someone is looking out for Terry Ryan in whatever lies ahead.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

That's fine, if you've read my other comments in the past, you know I don't have anything intelligent to contribute, so it was an opportunity to give some insight.
    Anyway, we all wish Mr. Ryan the best.

12. These 3 users like goliath's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (02-10-2014), Riverbrian (02-10-2014), USAFChief (02-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    That's fine, if you've read my other comments in the past, you know I don't have anything intelligent to contribute, so it was an opportunity to give some insight.
    Anyway, we all wish Mr. Ryan the best.
    Yeah, apologies again. Wasn't directed at you at all. Things have just gone off the rails in the past when health is involved and everyone seems to become a doctor(thus drowning out the real doctors like you who can contribute quality posts)

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    Praying for a swift return to his job of turning this team around. Best of luck Mr. Ryan

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    Many of us have had similar skin cancer problems and are capable of providing a better diagnosis than the guys who gave us "bilateral leg weakness".
    But what if it really was "bilateral leg weakness". Would the amateurs have ever come up with that?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The press release sounds optimistic in its prognosis and I will hope for even better than that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Good luck to Terry and hoping to see him down here later this spring.

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am glad to see the support for Terry Ryan's recovery, and share in the hope for his speedy recovery.

Prayers for a quick recovery sent your way, TR! Pretty sure MLB Network and some Twins fleece were part of Dr. Eyunni's prescription. Where can I send it?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.

Just weighing in as a medical oncologist. Based on the report in likely represents Squamous Cell Cancer of the Head/Neck, not skin cancer. It can present in neck lymph nodes, later being found on tonsils, larynx, or base of tongue as primary site. Given the plan for surgery followed by radiation, there may be some high risk features to the cancer (i.e. extracapsular extension, LN>6 cm) that require adjuvant radiation although that will be known once the surgery is complete. It is highly treatable, but if radiation included will keep him detained in treatment for approx 10 weeks from surgery to radiation complete.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just a positive note about expert and "armchair" doctors... This is a developing story and a developing thread. Both are occurring simultaneously. As this story unfolds, it offers all of us an opportunity to learn about various forms of cancer.

Some may post from a position of ignorance. I would say that is far better than silence. It give us all an opportunity to learn, be better informed, and vigilant against cancer. When we are sitting at our office cubicle, or when we are taking a shower, or putting sunscreen on ourselves or someone else later this summer, and we discover something unusual, we might begin to know what to do. Thanks to our dermatologist friend for chiming in, by the way. That's a fitting example of what I'm trying to explain.

There has been another thread on this site concerned about over moderation. My take is that Terry Ryan's unfortunate diagnosis offers all of us another opportunity to learn, grow, be vigilant against cancer, and give each other a break.

The game of baseball has brought us into Terry Ryan's world. Now he may be giving us an opportunity to learn about the game of life.

Prayers, Terry. We wish you well.

23. These 2 users like Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (02-11-2014), Riverbrian (02-11-2014)

I am not a doctor. I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn last night. (I am a CPA). Anyway, hopefully this is not too bad and Terry Ryan can be back opening day. Our prayers are with him. And yes, as somebody said, family and health come first, the Twins and baseball come second.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast