Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Article: TD Top Prospects: #5 Eddie Rosario

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    That looks like a $35-40M lineup, at least for a little while. Makes you wonder what kind of a rotation we can put together with Nolasco here and potentially Meyer/Kohl/Gibson, etc. under control. Assuming two of those three stick, we could sign two very good pitchers to complete the rotation.

    Definitely very early, but if Turner's write up is accurate, I think that guy is gone prior to us picking. Very good defensively and will stick at SS, good on the bases, hit for average with some pop.
    Yeah, I chose Turner because I couldn't see the shortstop of the future within the organization. I've seen mock drafts with him slipping as far as sixth. Fingers crossed.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  2. #42
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,768
    Like
    889
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Yeah, I chose Turner because I couldn't see the shortstop of the future within the organization. I've seen mock drafts with him slipping as far as sixth. Fingers crossed.
    Any word on who is agent might be? If he's clearly the BPA, I hope they pick him, but I could see the Twins missing out on signing him if it's someone like Boras representing him, ala Appel.

  3. #43
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,094
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Call out to Jim Crikket for his more knowledgeable review of Niko.
    Goodrum could be a bit of a tweener. He's still pretty slender so you wonder if his body will fill out more, even at his age (almost 22). If it doesn't, will he always trail Dozier/Polanco/Rosario in terms of XBHs? If he does fill in, will he "outgrow" SS and need to move to 3B? Will say I agree on the athleticism. He looks like he gets good jumps when he does steal and has decent speed.

    If the organization is set on making Polanco a SS, I'm not sure how Goodrum gets innings at the position this year since they should both probably be with the Miracle. Going to be intersting to see how this plays out.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  4. #44
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,163
    Like
    103
    Liked 278 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Any word on who is agent might be? If he's clearly the BPA, I hope they pick him, but I could see the Twins missing out on signing him if it's someone like Boras representing him, ala Appel.
    Like I said before, I am putting stock in a scouting report here and it is early. But I read 80 speed (57 SB as a freshman). Arm for 3B but footwork for SS, will likely stick there. Profiles as a 12 HR a year guy, enough extra base hits.

    .336/.432/.459 as a freshman
    .393/.476/.613 as a sophomore

    If these reports are accurate, he will likely challenge Rodon or be a clear #2 pick. I would more than welcome a slip to #5.

    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...r-ss-n-c-state

  5. #45
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    288
    Like
    0
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Of course he was ranked #4 in the upcoming draft. They say this draft is really deep though so we should get someone good anyway. When Sano was ranked the #2 prospect there were two shortstops in the top 5 I would have been happy to trade him for though we have had as many issues at 3rd as we have at short in the recent memory.

  6. #46
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,768
    Like
    889
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Like I said before, I am putting stock in a scouting report here and it is early. But I read 80 speed (57 SB as a freshman). Arm for 3B but footwork for SS, will likely stick there. Profiles as a 12 HR a year guy, enough extra base hits.

    .336/.432/.459 as a freshman
    .393/.476/.613 as a sophomore

    If these reports are accurate, he will likely challenge Rodon or be a clear #2 pick. I would more than welcome a slip to #5.

    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...r-ss-n-c-state
    I am aware of how good Turner is and I'm looking forward to the chance of snagging him in the draft.... and I don't dispute your assessment, whatsoever. But there have been rumblings that he could drop a little in the draft, whether that's primarily because of other players (pitchers besides Rodon?) moving up or if the leverage he has as a junior might be used to force himself onto a team more to his liking and a much-higher-than-slot bonus.

  7. #47
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,768
    Like
    889
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Goodrum could be a bit of a tweener. He's still pretty slender so you wonder if his body will fill out more, even at his age (almost 22). If it doesn't, will he always trail Dozier/Polanco/Rosario in terms of XBHs? If he does fill in, will he "outgrow" SS and need to move to 3B? Will say I agree on the athleticism. He looks like he gets good jumps when he does steal and has decent speed.

    If the organization is set on making Polanco a SS, I'm not sure how Goodrum gets innings at the position this year since they should both probably be with the Miracle. Going to be intersting to see how this plays out.
    Thanks JC. Let me add this intriguing extra tidbit on Goodrum from your PM to me:

    "Has some range and decent speed. Gets a good jump (better than Buxton, honestly) when he does try to steal a base."

    So it appears that the jury is going to be out on all 3 of the top SS prospects for the time being- 2 "tweeners" and one "Florimon +??" Very interesting indeed, both longer-term on who might win out, but also with the draft coming up and Turner available.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I think he ends up in LF at some point. Here's a hypothetical lineup in 2017:

    1. Buxton (8)
    2. Rosario (7)
    3. Mauer (3)
    4. Sano (5)
    5. Arcia (DH)
    6. Pinto (2)
    7. Polanco (4)
    8. Turner (6)
    9. Hicks (9)
    I think that Target Field makes a late 80's Cardinals type team a better option. Guys with high onbase % and steals may play better than long ball and it can still translate to other ballparks. With the crackdown on PED's the long ball is becoming less a part of the game and small ball is coming back. Speed guys in Buxton, Rosario, Hicks, Polanco, with possible bombers Sano and Arcia might turn out allright.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Posts
    470
    Like
    220
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Goodrum could be a bit of a tweener. He's still pretty slender so you wonder if his body will fill out more, even at his age (almost 22). If it doesn't, will he always trail Dozier/Polanco/Rosario in terms of XBHs? If he does fill in, will he "outgrow" SS and need to move to 3B? Will say I agree on the athleticism. He looks like he gets good jumps when he does steal and has decent speed.

    If the organization is set on making Polanco a SS, I'm not sure how Goodrum gets innings at the position this year since they should both probably be with the Miracle. Going to be intersting to see how this plays out.
    My guess that they will rotate Polanco at SS on Goodrum's days off, as well as each of them rotating between 2B as well.

    I have to believe Turner would be an instant grab for the Twins to grab if available, and if he continues to shine. But the draft is still way off, and players rise and fall in value before then. Despite questions as to our SS prospects, they themselves will no doubt answer some of those questions with the season ahead. While Turner would seem a tantalizing pick, in the unsure world of draftable prospects, I subscribe, usually, to the BPA, and don't agree necessarily with drafting just by position.

    Further, I'd keep Rosario at 2B just as long as possible to see what kind of 2B potential we truly have there. He could undoubtedly flip back to the OF very easily if he can't play the position well enough, or is blocked by Dozier, or someone else. Further, if he proves himself at the position well enough, he provides either greater trade value, or allows Dozier to perhaps being traded.

    And while I have great faith that Hicks will yet prove himself as an excellent defensive corner OF who can fill in at CF, and provide power and speed, and feel the rather athletic Arcia will continue to improve to at least decent in the OF, Rosario is a very talented OF option should Hicks not cut it, or Arcia need to be moved to DH and part time OF.

    As an OF, Rosario may never provide the true HR power one hopes for in a corner OF, however, his overall game/talent level would indicate an exciting player with multiple skills who can cover a lot of ground, hit, spray various XB hits, take extra bases and steal bases. If his OB can improve even a little, with his skill set, he could be a valuable top of the order player, and at worst, a dangerous lower spot hitter regardless of position.

    I have doubts he will hit 20 plus HR as he did early in his career, but don't forget his quick hands and athleticism, as well as his youth and rather rapid ascension up the milb latter. You might yet see better power once he acclimates to his level.

    And as a side note, with all due respect to the talent and abilities of Santana and Polanco, and by no means dismissing them as potential quality offensive as well as defensive SS's, Goodrum just might surpass anyone in the system at SS. He is one of my "picks to click" on the milb level this year. He doesn't need to explode in to his frame, just muscle up a bit more, and have the proverbial light start to come on. Something I think we began to see last season.

  10. #50
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,768
    Like
    889
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBauer View Post
    My guess that they will rotate Polanco at SS on Goodrum's days off, as well as each of them rotating between 2B as well.

    I have to believe Turner would be an instant grab for the Twins to grab if available, and if he continues to shine. But the draft is still way off, and players rise and fall in value before then. Despite questions as to our SS prospects, they themselves will no doubt answer some of those questions with the season ahead. While Turner would seem a tantalizing pick, in the unsure world of draftable prospects, I subscribe, usually, to the BPA, and don't agree necessarily with drafting just by position.

    Further, I'd keep Rosario at 2B just as long as possible to see what kind of 2B potential we truly have there. He could undoubtedly flip back to the OF very easily if he can't play the position well enough, or is blocked by Dozier, or someone else. Further, if he proves himself at the position well enough, he provides either greater trade value, or allows Dozier to perhaps being traded.

    And while I have great faith that Hicks will yet prove himself as an excellent defensive corner OF who can fill in at CF, and provide power and speed, and feel the rather athletic Arcia will continue to improve to at least decent in the OF, Rosario is a very talented OF option should Hicks not cut it, or Arcia need to be moved to DH and part time OF.

    As an OF, Rosario may never provide the true HR power one hopes for in a corner OF, however, his overall game/talent level would indicate an exciting player with multiple skills who can cover a lot of ground, hit, spray various XB hits, take extra bases and steal bases. If his OB can improve even a little, with his skill set, he could be a valuable top of the order player, and at worst, a dangerous lower spot hitter regardless of position.

    I have doubts he will hit 20 plus HR as he did early in his career, but don't forget his quick hands and athleticism, as well as his youth and rather rapid ascension up the milb latter. You might yet see better power once he acclimates to his level.

    And as a side note, with all due respect to the talent and abilities of Santana and Polanco, and by no means dismissing them as potential quality offensive as well as defensive SS's,

    Goodrum just might surpass anyone in the system at SS. He is one of my "picks to click" on the milb level this year. He doesn't need to explode in to his frame, just muscle up a bit more, and have the proverbial light start to come on.

    Something I think we began to see last season.
    Well said Doc, and pretty much where I stand on Turner, but I also think that Goodrum is due for a break out and this could be the year. Hopefully Michael gets pushed up to AA for one last chance and Goodrum and Polanco can start out in Ft Myers and ride the wave together up the organizational ladder pushing each other and inevitably pushing others out of their way.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.