Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Berardino: Willingham wants to finish career with Twins

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Berardino: Willingham wants to finish career with Twins

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...nnesota-twins/

Mike Berardino of the Pioneer Press reports that Josh Willingham would like to end his career with the Minnesota Twins, according to his agent Matt Sosnick.

Sosnick tells him that there have been no contract extension discussions to this point.

So, Twins Fans, should the team be interested in extending Willingham? I'd say that the jury should be out until after the season. Willingham needs to prove healthy and productive again. The Twins will need to see how some of their young players develop.

2. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    It's doubtful that he plays much outfield after 2014, and I'd really like to keep the DH spot open. Maybe a one year deal for 2015 might make sense if he hits well this year and it's clear that guys like Parmelee, Kennys Vargas or DJ Hicks aren't an answer or are not ready to contribute. Still, I like that DH to be a bit flexible considering it's possible the Twins may start to develop more talent than they have positions for.

However we're looking at him as a starter right now. If he was willing to be a bench bat like the Twins had originally intended for Jim Thome and what Jason Giambi has done to extend his career the last half dozen years, there could be a spot for him.

4. These 3 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-17-2014), glunn (02-17-2014), Riverbrian (02-17-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to finish my career with the Twins as well. But.... Willingham is best suited for a band-box stadium, like US Cellular, or Texas, places where routine outs are round-trippers and defense just doesn't matter as much.

6. These 2 users like Old Twins Cap's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-17-2014), glunn (02-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope the Twins are open to extending him.

8. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (02-17-2014)

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he retires after his age 35 season, I would not mind if he finishes his career with the Twins

Who would you not have on the team in the next 1-3 years for Willingham to still be around?

Arcia, Buxton, Hicks, Kepler, Vargas, Walker, Harrison, Plouffe, Parmelee?

I'd rather see any of those guys in the DH or OF (especially) spots than a 36, 37 or 38 year old Willingham.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

10. These 2 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (02-17-2014), notoriousgod71 (02-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    No.

Hicks in RF, Buxton in CF, Rosario in LF, Arcia at DH, with several other young players ready to come up and be the 4th OF/DH/1B.....Even is Hicks can't play as a starter, you are covered with Arcia in RF and someone else at DH.

There are other ways to spend those dollars, like more SP or trading for a legit SS.
    Lighten up Francis....

12. These 4 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-17-2014), jokin (02-18-2014), Kwak (02-17-2014), Major Leauge Ready (02-18-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do not see as happening, too many good young(cheaper) players who will be as good or almost as good in 2 years and the need to reallocate the dollars to holes that will have shown up by that time.

14. This user likes beckmt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-17-2014)

I'd like to get Justin Morneau's opinion on this.

16. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-17-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Where Willingham would like to finish out his career shouldn't be a consideration.

18. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (02-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    If Willingham's health and production are that of 2012, the Twins should absolutely extend him. I imagine the designated hitter role will really help Josh's health this season, or so I hope.

20. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-17-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Best case scenario - Josh hits the hell out of the ball up to the trading deadline and the Twins deal him for a nice asset.

He can still live in Minnesota during the off-season

22. These 3 users like Monkeypaws's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (02-17-2014), mike wants wins (02-17-2014), Riverbrian (02-17-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    No.

Hicks in RF, Buxton in CF, Rosario in LF, Arcia at DH, with several other young players ready to come up and be the 4th OF/DH/1B.....Even is Hicks can't play as a starter, you are covered with Arcia in RF and someone else at DH.

There are other ways to spend those dollars, like more SP or trading for a legit SS.
    Arcia would be your 4th outfielder, or corner outfielder, with Hicks sliding over to center ,when Buxton needs a day or 2 off....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought they should have let the Orioles have him when he was claimed last August.

My biggest concern was they would do nothing to address left field if he was still on the roster. The Twins have a big left field. They need a younger player with range. With Willingham on the roster, they didn't go out and find one. Instead they signed another DH in Kubel guaranteeing the outfield with the poorest range in baseball.

There will be a lot of fly balls. Target Field suppresses home runs. They just signed two fly ball pitchers. The plan for outfield does not make sense. The decision to retain Willingham only makes sense if he is the regular DH.

25. These 2 users like jorgenswest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-17-2014), mike wants wins (02-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good for him, but I am not sure how anyone could reasonably consider extending him even one year.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 275 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the cost. If he's willing to take a discount and be primarily a bench bat.... But I don't think that is what he has in mind.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

28. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    There won't be any extension and I'm guessing his agent knows it, but it's still possible he comes back. I'd guess it would only be after he hits free agency, finds little interest and the Twins still haven't figured out the DH spot or he's willing to be a low cost bench bat.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I'm not sure why we get jazzed about these kinds of stories. Berardino has to put words down on paper (or cyberspace) -- he seems a bit more prolific than other TC mainstream press so there's lots of space to fill. Sosnick wants his client to have a good landing place after the season -- not very easy with a hitter who turns 35 today. Obviously the Twins haven't said much -- and, given last year and the prospects in the pipeline, I wouldn't really expect them to extend Willingham at this point.

In a way, it seems like a non-story to me but Happy Birthday, Josh.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Because there isn't anything else to talk about?
    Lighten up Francis....

32. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (02-17-2014), Riverbrian (02-17-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm just going to say I doubt this happens. Too many young guys that will need playing time and will cost less. If he has a great 2014 maybe they go year to year with him.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
    I wish him well, and hope he has a season that's successful enough to make the team at least think about keeping him. As much as I want the young players to all play, having a power-hitting veteran around is attractive, as a mentor as well as a player.

And if he has a great year and we can get a good prospect, that's ok with me too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast