Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would be a successful 2014 for the Twins?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it will be a successful season. That level is at least 90+ wins.

I fear that the cycle of mediocrity will continue. Too many plate appearances or innings will be given to decline phase players. Last year was only the second time since 1998 that the average pitcher and hitter age was over 28. 2010 was the other season. It seems the Twins are headed for a third. The Twins took an intentional change in direction in 1999 where they stopped filling the gaps with decline phase players where the average hitter/pitcher ages were both under 27. I was hoping 2014 would take on that same change in direction. If that happens, the season won't be a success, but it will be a step towards success.

The last two pockets of seasons where the Twins went young were 1982-1983 and 1999-2000. In those seasons the average age for hitters/pitchers was below 27. Both pockets were a step towards the successful runs from 1987-1992 and 2002-2010.

2. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Thrylos (02-09-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm... success:

1) Willingham bounces back and fetches a nice piece at the deadline.
    2) Nolasco and Hughes both pitch like what we hope they will do.
    3) Gibson is eventually able to claim a spot in the rotation.
    4) Dozier proves the last 4 months of 2013 were not a fluke.
    5) Hicks breaks out in AAA and forces the trade of Willingham.
    6) One of Parmelee or Plouffe really breaks out with the bat.
    7) Pinto has a successful rookie season.
    8) Sano and Meyer transition quite well into starting roles, forcing a trade of KC.

The Twins break the .500 mark and give a reason for everyone to be excited in 2015.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    Perhaps if, after the All-Star game, people have a better impression of Minneapolis than they do of Sochi.

5. These 3 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-09-2014), mike wants wins (02-10-2014), Riverbrian (02-09-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    This team won't be sucessful in the sense of being competitive for the playoffs. I'm not sure they would've been even if they had gone nuts in FA either.

What I want is a this season not to be wasted, I want progress. Watching losses is hard enough - watching it with little to nothing progressing for the future? Unbearable.

7. These 3 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-09-2014), Physics Guy (02-09-2014), stringer bell (02-09-2014)

I used to find good reading material and good comments here but now ....I don't know. Maybe the fact that there's really no hope for a World Series anytime in the Terry Ryan/Ron Gardenhire/Joe Mauer led Twins. It's not that this team has been bad it's been fundamentally unbearable and these clowns all keep their jobs. What is a life long Twins fan really supposed to see that they like in this Twins team? Top to bottom everything about the Twins stinks.

9. This user likes OldTwinky's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (02-10-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    success = making the postseason and getting deep into the post season.

Nothing else. And if that does not happen, the Pohlads should make wholesale changes, starting with the GM.

(Some) Twins' fans & press called the mediocrity of the 00s (after the awfulness of the late 90s) "success". Better does not mean great. And if you are ok with mediocrity, you will never see real greatness. No incentive.
    Couldn't disagree more.

If that type of uber-elitist, condescending, results>>>>journey attitude is all you can muster then why not just go be a Yankees fan? And this isn't just aimed at Thrylos, half the posters on here only seem happy when they are pointing out how awful the Twins are and how they should be like a big market team like LA, NY, or Boston. They will spend big for you, they will claim any season without a world championship is a failure of a season, and they will put more successful teams on the field that the fan base could care less about as long as they are winning. That, IMO, is not what Twins baseball should be about. And thankfully, that is not what Twins baseball has historically been about. I will take the journey of rough years and good years instead of the shallow "success" they have in New York or LA.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    I will take the journey of rough years and good years instead of the shallow "success" they have in New York or LA.
    So you would rather have what the Twins had from 1992-2013 compared to what the Yankees had? You'd rather have cycles of awfulness and mediocrity vs championship caliber teams every season?

I just don't get it.

And what exactly is "shallow success" on the Yankees WS run during the early Torre years? I hope that every Twins' fan would rather see the Twins have such a "shallow success"... or like the one the Cardinals recently have. Or is St. Louis a bigger market than the Twin Cities?
    Last edited by Thrylos; 02-09-2014 at 07:37 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

12. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    I will take the journey of rough years and good years instead of the shallow "success" they have in New York or LA.
    While I appreciated, and agreed with, the spirit of the message that success alone shouldn't be measured in titles.....you completely lost me here. A team should always expect to contend as a goal, there is nothing shallow about that.

14. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So you would rather have what the Twins had from 1992-2013 compared to what the Yankees had? You'd rather have cycles of awfulness and mediocrity vs championship caliber teams every season?

I just don't get it.

And what exactly is "shallow success" on the Yankees WS run during the early Torre years? I hope that every Twins' fan would rather see the Twins have such a "shallow success"... or like the one the Cardinals recently have. Or is St. Louis a bigger market than the Twin Cities?
    The Yanks had great success in developing key players including Williams, Pettite, Rivera, Jeter and Posada. The Twins farm system didn't do so well.

16. This user likes thetank's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 485 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That the Twins teams have won only one postseason series since the extra level of playoffs was added is a black eye to an otherwise high point in Twins history--2001-2010 was exciting and there were a number of great players and good teams, but they couldn't get it done in postseason. I would love to see another decade (say from 2015-2024) where the Twins were constant threats to win their division and also have some success in the playoffs, hopefully winning one or more World Series.

As far as success this summer, I think one prerequisite would be a better W/L mark, an improvement of 10 game or more. Secondly, the future must be served--Hicks, Pinto, Sano, Arcia, Meyer, Gibson, and Tonkin all need to go beyond getting their feet wet--and maybe we could see a cameo for Buxton and/or Rosario. I really want to feel optimistic about 2015 and beyond after this season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    I would call this season a success if by mid season there were no more threads here about adding the latest player DFA.

19. These 2 users like old nurse's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (02-09-2014), Siehbiscuit (02-10-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    success = making the postseason and getting deep into the post season.

Nothing else. And if that does not happen, the Pohlads should make wholesale changes, starting with the GM.

(Some) Twins' fans & press called the mediocrity of the 00s (after the awfulness of the late 90s) "success". Better does not mean great. And if you are ok with mediocrity, you will never see real greatness. No incentive.
    Again, you need to look up the definition of "mediocrity" because you continue to misuse it.

Six playoff appearances and five 90 win seasons in a decade cannot be considered mediocrity. Period. End statement.

21. These 8 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-10-2014), gunnarthor (02-10-2014), Joe A. Preusser (02-10-2014), Physics Guy (02-09-2014), snepp (02-09-2014), twinsfan34 (02-09-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-09-2014), USAFChief (02-09-2014)

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    I would call this season a success if by mid season there were no more threads here about adding the latest player DFA.
    Why not ask for the moon and stars. It would be easier for the Twins to win the World Series!!!
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Couldn't disagree more.

If that type of uber-elitist, condescending, results>>>>journey attitude is all you can muster then why not just go be a Yankees fan? And this isn't just aimed at Thrylos, half the posters on here only seem happy when they are pointing out how awful the Twins are and how they should be like a big market team like LA, NY, or Boston. They will spend big for you, they will claim any season without a world championship is a failure of a season, and they will put more successful teams on the field that the fan base could care less about as long as they are winning. That, IMO, is not what Twins baseball should be about. And thankfully, that is not what Twins baseball has historically been about. I will take the journey of rough years and good years instead of the shallow "success" they have in New York or LA.
    While I agree with your way of looking at things, this board is very fair in that respect. Yes some are sick of certain things be it management or certain players, that can be annoying but as long as they make rational arguments fair. These are real Twins fans with possibly a small handful of exceptions. These are people who know the roster forward and backwards, are for the most part hopeful about Buxton, Sano and other prospects.

I can very easily if I want say I'm done with Gardenhire or sick of certain players. I can very easily see 90 losses again this season. I choose not to have that attitude as I have the option of not watching and if I did have that attitude I wouldn't watch. I love the Twins a franchise that won the world series at the age of 8 and 12. A franchise that I have never seen fire a manager, and a franchise that has given us a lot in seasons expectations have been low. It will take a heck of a lot more then 3 90 loss seasons to get down on this franchise, but for others thats fair. In baseball there is always a path to greatness if enough things go right so I'll worry about what might go wrong if and when it actually happens.

24. This user likes mikecgrimes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Nate Haseman (02-09-2014)

There is nothing elitist or condescending about wanting a team to win championships. I love this team through thick and thin, and I enjoy watching or listening to all the games. But not wanting your team to win the World Series every year is just freakin un-American! I think if the Twins make a run at winning the central I'll consider it a success, and I subscribe to the school of thought that thinks "this is a baseball and anything can happen." If we make the playoffs anything can happen in a seven game series.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,200 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    I take this as a hope that the bottom-feeding days are nearly behind us. A player of borderline value to another team being the guy we need? I hope not, and soon!
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 02-09-2014 at 11:13 PM.

27. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-09-2014)

Blog Entries
    half the posters on here only seem happy when they are pointing out how awful the Twins are and how they should be like a big market team like LA, NY, or Boston.
    Moderator's note: please avoid characterizing groups of TD posters. Few have opinions in lockstep with one another, but this kind of thing leads to increasingly polarized arguments for no reason.

29. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-09-2014), USAFChief (02-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I take this as, not a comment about fellow posters, but a hope that the bottom-feeding days are nearly behind us. A player of borderline value to another team being the guy we need? I hope not, and soon!
    It was not a comment about posters, only the quality of the players that was assembled.

31. This user likes old nurse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (02-09-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I, too, measure success by the W/L column. A successful season to me means games that matter, all the way through the regular season. A playoff chase deep into September would be a successful season.
    We could probably achieve that by trading Buxton/Sano/Meyer for established players in the final year of their contracts who intend to explore free agency no matter what. Would 88 wins that way be success?

I'm not in favor of any single metric - as a previous poster stated, I'd like to see progress in multiple directions at once, while keeping any backsliding to a minimum. Appreciably closer to a .500 record, with yet more additions to the talent pipeline, will suit me.

33. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (02-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Haseman View Post
    There is nothing elitist or condescending about wanting a team to win championships. I love this team through thick and thin, and I enjoy watching or listening to all the games. But not wanting your team to win the World Series every year is just freakin un-American! I think if the Twins make a run at winning the central I'll consider it a success, and I subscribe to the school of thought that thinks "this is a baseball and anything can happen." If we make the playoffs anything can happen in a seven game series.
    It was condescending to call 90 win teams mediocre. They got to the playoffs. Anything could happen as you said. Not enough players rose up in enough series to carry the team. It would be hoped going forward when the team needs to add players when they are at a division championship level they pick up better than the Ponsons and Ortiz's from the available free agents.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast