Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: VOTE: Most Iconic Twins Moment

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

VOTE: Most Iconic Twins Moment

Earlier this week, the Sporting News released their list of the most iconic moment for each MLB team. Kirby Puckett's Game 6 home run topped the list for the Twins.

Here's your chance to rank some of the other iconic moments in franchise history. If you want to read a little bit more about the moments, click here.

CLICK HERE to rank the moments

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me, the 1987 "Welcome Home" Rally, when the Twins returned from defeating Detroit was an iconic moment--largely because of how it influenced the players. Here's an excerpt from Doug Grow's work "We're Gonna Win Twins."

I love this exchange between Hrbek and a security guard:

"It was almost 10 o'clock on a Monday night and yet there was activity everywhere. There were people on the overpasses waving banners. And the closer the buses got to the Dome, the more people there were.

The buses made it to the loading dock area behind the Dome. There were people, yelling and waving.

"Why aren't they inside?" Twins first baseman Kent Hrbek asked a security man on the bus.

"There's no room inside, Herbie," the security man said."

http://www.minnpost.com/politics-pol...nt-87-twins-te

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Half a century is a pretty long time. This season we will be a year short of 50 years since Allison made his catch.
    There was a runner on 1st. The Dodgers had the great Koufax pitching for them.

The catch doesn't look all that impressive, perhaps, but it was really big.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    That pic of Kirby running the bases after his game winning homer, screaming at the top of his lungs and clenching his fist, is forever etched in my memory.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would say it's a tough call between Kirby's game 6 home run and Morris' performance the following day.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There have been some good responses so far. Keep them coming.

Senior Member Triple-A VATwinsFan's Avatar
    Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
    Baylor's and Hrbek's HRs in game 6 of the 87 World Series have to be up there.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Iconic franchise moment to the franchise's fans, or to baseball fans in general? If you ask an average fan in Peoria or Walla Walla, "what moment do you think of when I say Minnesota Twins", the tag of Gant probably ranks awfully high. (And for that reason, because it gets some people's goats, it ranks pretty high for me as well.)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VATwinsFan View Post
    Baylor's and Hrbek's HRs in game 6 of the 87 World Series have to be up there.
    Agreed! I think Baylor's HR gets overlooked.
    He was a real asset to the team.

I remember when they got him in late August of '87.
    It was a sign that they were really going for it.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Casillia Hit I was at the Dome for, so that will always be special to me, but it is not the most important twins moment, I think after the Puckett home run, what everybody knows the twins for is Hrbeks infamous tag on Ron Gant

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kirby's catch is currently leading the rankings. Larkin's hit, Hrbek's grand slam, ALCS celebration, and Game 163 round out the top five.

I watched Game 6 of the 1987 World Series in a NYC bar because I had just gotten out of work. When Herbie hit the grand slam, it took my breath away. When I had recovered it, all I could say to the complete stranger next to me was, “That was the best thing I ever saw, ever.” I’m sure it sounded overdramatic, but, skipping up Broadway on my way home after the game, I was listening to Jim Kaat commenting on the radio on my headphones. He described Herbie’s slam as the best moment in the history of the Twins. I thought, “Wow, who better than Kitty to know that? He’d been there for every other possible best moment.” Yes, it has since been overshadowed by Kirby’s Game 6 in 1991, but don’t forget how big it was.
    Last edited by Longdistancetwins; 02-06-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Too many typos

13. This user likes Longdistancetwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-06-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Puck wearing the snoopy hat, and Berenguer's brief case.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Iconic franchise moment to the franchise's fans, or to baseball fans in general? If you ask an average fan in Peoria or Walla Walla, "what moment do you think of when I say Minnesota Twins", the tag of Gant probably ranks awfully high. (And for that reason, because it gets some people's goats, it ranks pretty high for me as well.)
    It is a shame that the Twins are remembered for that moment...
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

16. This user likes biggentleben's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Herbie's Game 6 slam was huge. Nobody outside the Twins community would remember or care, but his homer in Yankee Stadium debut (1981) was a pretty big moment too, the first little point of light for that group signaling better things to come.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,265 Times in 677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I would say it's a tough call between Kirby's game 6 home run and Morris' performance the following day.
    Ditto, my thoughts exactly......slight edge to Kirby's game 6 HR though, just because it was a single moment, where Morris' was played out over the entire game.

Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Let me speak for the over 60 crowd. I don't think the two oldest entries ('65 catch and '67 520 ft homer) equal Killebrew's '65 bottom of the ninth, two out home run in the last game before the all star game. That homer that beat the Yankees, perennial league champions, signaled that the Twins just might be for real. In an earlier day, that homer was voted the greatest moment in Twins history (25 year celebration?). I also have a personal attachment as I was in the left field bleachers near where the line drive homer landed.

I also think Carew's 4 hit June 26 game that left him with an avg over .400 during his 1977 MVP year should have been on the list.

20. These 2 users like Obie's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-06-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-06-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Herbie's Game 6 slam was huge. Nobody outside the Twins community would remember or care, but his homer in Yankee Stadium debut (1981) was a pretty big moment too, the first little point of light for that group signaling better things to come.
    Yes, I can directly testify to that: As I’ve mentioned countless times, I live in New York City. I was not at Yankee Stadium that evening, as my interest in the Twins was at its lowest in the late 1970s and very early 1980’s. I was watching the game on TV, but for one of the first times in my life, turned it off to go to sleep in the 11th inning. Nonetheless, I was so excited by what I heard the next morning that it single-handedly revived my interest in the Twins (the New York press did make a big deal of it). Thereafter, I followed the “Terrible Twins” of 1982 very loyally and could feel the full satisfaction of seeing things come to fruition in 1987.
    Last edited by Longdistancetwins; 02-06-2014 at 09:52 AM.

22. This user likes Longdistancetwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-06-2014)

I know I am getting old when I can remember most of the iconic moments for the other MLB teams. I guess that's part of the joy of being a fan.

24. This user likes Longdistancetwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (02-06-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,904 Times in 1,113 Posts
    I had a tough time ranking that list and wanted to make everything #1.

While I wouldn't put it as #1, the ALCS celebration at the Dome in '87 was an awesome moment. As soon as we heard it announced my roommate and I dashed over there and were close to the front of the crowd that just kept coming. When they opened the doors we knew exactly where we wanted to be and made a dash and were right rows over the dugout. That crowd was amazing, the spirit of it, the camaraderie. Heh, and to think my roommate and I wondered if very many people would show up as we were dashing over there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast