Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 165

Thread: Emilio Bonifacio DFA'd

  1. #121
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    530
    Like
    57
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    From what I know, contracts received through the arbitration process aren't guaranteed. If the player is released prior to the season, the club only owes the player 30-45 of his salary, depending when he was released.

    So if he is released, I believe he would become a free agent and the Royals would have to pay 30 days of the $3.5 million he was owed.
    The contract was not received via arbitration, it was agreed to, to avoid arbitration. If a player is claimed through waivers, the claiming team is responsible for the player's contract. If the player clears waivers, and no one signs him, then KC pays a pro-rated amount. If he signs with another team as a free agent, they are free to renegotiate a contract for a lesser or greater amount and KC would be off the hook. Any way you slice it, the claiming or signing team would end up paying the bulk (if not all) of the contract.

  2. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (02-10-2014)

  3. #122
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    786
    Like
    14
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    The contract was not received via arbitration, it was agreed to, to avoid arbitration. If a player is claimed through waivers, the claiming team is responsible for the player's contract. If the player clears waivers, and no one signs him, then KC pays a pro-rated amount. If he signs with another team as a free agent, they are free to renegotiate a contract for a lesser or greater amount and KC would be off the hook. Any way you slice it, the claiming or signing team would end up paying the bulk (if not all) of the contract.
    I could be wrong on this, but my understanding is the team the releases the player is responsible for the contract and the buying team only pays the minimum, but the releasing team if in the offseason may only be responsible for a month of it. It makes a big difference if the Twins can sign him for $500 K and have KC pick up the rest. If it is only a month, then it could cost the Twins about 1.5 mil to sign him and he may have many better postseason opportunities to choose from.

  4. #123
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,574
    Like
    2,585
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    My Fingers are crossed with hope. It Maskes it harrrd to type.
    So far I haven't noticed the difference.

  5. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Riverbrian (02-10-2014)

  6. #124
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    595
    Like
    10
    Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    KC is responsible for the guarenteed portion of the contract. If a team picks him up as a free agent they would be responsible for the minimum wage. I would really doubt that someone would pay him more than his KC contract

  7. #125
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,206
    Like
    1,248
    Liked 1,209 Times in 702 Posts
    This seems like a pretty good summary of his status:
    http://www.royalsreview.com/2014/2/1...ilio-bonifacio

    They are saying that it is likely he will clear waivers and the new team could negotiate a new contract with him but that Royals would owe him 1/6th of previously agreed on salary ($500,000+).

    Not sure why the 1/6th rather than some other fraction.

  8. #126
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,206
    Like
    1,248
    Liked 1,209 Times in 702 Posts

    7:12 AM - 11 Feb 2014

  9. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (02-11-2014)

  10. #127
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,672
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Price Tag seems to be the issue as it is in all walks of life.

    I'd pay it but I don't have that kind of cash on me.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  11. #128
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,760
    Like
    648
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    What's the over/under on his new contract? I'll wager 2 bills. Possibly 2.5 if the Yankees and Dodgers get into a bidding war and box out teams like the Twins.

  12. #129
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,535
    Like
    61
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    What's the over/under on his new contract? I'll wager 2 bills. Possibly 2.5 if the Yankees and Dodgers get into a bidding war and box out teams like the Twins.
    I would hope 2.5 isn't enough to box anyone out in this day and age of baseball, but refusing to overpay for a utility player may be more of an issue of principle.

  13. #130
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,588
    Like
    830
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I would hope 2.5 isn't enough to box anyone out in this day and age of baseball, but refusing to overpay for a utility player may be more of an issue of principle.
    Except for Jamey Caroll....

  14. #131
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,564
    Like
    3
    Liked 313 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Not sure why the 1/6th rather than some other fraction.
    I think it's supposed to be one month's salary, which is effectively 1/6?

  15. #132
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,564
    Like
    3
    Liked 313 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Will be interesting to see what kind of "bidding war" there could be. He's been traded a few times, but never as a centerpiece, always an auxiliary part. And last year, the Royals got him from the Blue Jays for cash, not even a PTBNL. (And they only "committed" to his $3.5 mil salary for 2014 knowing full well they could cut him later for $500k. And, they're the Royals, so questionable roster/financial decisions are standard operating procedure )

  16. #133
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I doubt he gets over a mil at this point. Anyone could have had him for 2.5. Apparently his services are not in such demand after all. Could it be he is not the second coming of Cesar Tovar?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  17. #134
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,535
    Like
    61
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Will be interesting to see what kind of "bidding war" there could be. He's been traded a few times, but never as a centerpiece, always an auxiliary part. And last year, the Royals got him from the Blue Jays for cash, not even a PTBNL. (And they only "committed" to his $3.5 mil salary for 2014 knowing full well they could cut him later for $500k. And, they're the Royals, so questionable roster/financial decisions are standard operating procedure )
    No kidding. Other teams will be looking at his full body of work last year but why would the Royals? Most aquiring teams would likely evaluate a player based on what they did for THEM after the trade, and in only 42 games he put up a 1.2 WAR with a .352 OBP and .700 OPS. That kind of production from a jack-of-all trades utility player seems pretty reasonable to me if I'm a member of the Royals front office.

  18. #135
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,535
    Like
    61
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I doubt he gets over a mil at this point. Anyone could have had him for 2.5. Apparently his services are not in such demand after all. Could it be he is not the second coming of Cesar Tovar?
    The second coming of Nick Putno snagged $4 mill per year. The third coming of Nick Punto even got $2.75 mill per and he just signed in November.

  19. #136
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    530
    Like
    57
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Bonifacio has cleared waivers

  20. #137
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,500
    Like
    188
    Liked 511 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    MLBTradeRumors (via Doogy) reports that the Twins have displayed no interest in Bonifacio. I am disappointed, but not surprised.

  21. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (02-13-2014)

  22. #138
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,672
    Like
    4,726
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    This is why I'm not GM material. 30 teams passed on someone I would have been all over.

    I would have traded for Bonofacio. I still don't understand how he isn't a perfect fit for us.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  23. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (02-13-2014)

  24. #139
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,535
    Like
    61
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Wolfson may be right, but he has been all over the place this offseason. I can't remember if it was Hughes or Nolasco that he said the Twins weren't in on, then only a couple of days later they signed.

    Then last week we had him saying the Twins were expressing zero interest in Aledmys Diaz:
    https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/st...06167293865984
    Then said the exact opposite six days later:
    https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/st...82653555798016

  25. #140
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm not at all surprised. If you're a utility guy and you are not a wiz with the glove, you better carry more lumber than he has in his career. Plus, at age 30, he's in decline. Better to give opportunities to guys with upside, even if it means you're marginally worse than you would have been with the veteran. Maybe a minor-league deal?
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.