Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: TD Top Prospects: #10 Trevor May

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm almost convinced he's going to end up on a Glen Perkins career path, ultimately ending up in the Bullpen.

He'll certainly (hopefully) start games for the Twins, but I am convinced he will be a dominant reliever if he ends up there.

Perkins averaged around 91 MPH with his fastball as a starter, and has averaged nearly 95 in relief. Same type of thing with Duensing. Applying this methodology gives May elite velocity in the 'pen.

My only issue with the write-up is this statement:

"Some have said if he can’t gain enough control, he could make a transition to the bullpen. That may be true, but I don’t know how many late-inning relievers are counted on if they can’t throw strikes in key situations."

I love May's profile as a reliever, and hope it can work as a starter. There are examples of good relievers everywhere who have high walk rates, and I'm inclined to say his 4.0 BB/9IP is not an alarming rate in a reliever sense. It's still high, but if you're combining a walk rate near that with K-rate around 9.0+K/9IP, you'll find a lot of successful relievers in the Majors with those numbers. Many of whom who don't have the pure stuff May does.

But the thinking is correct, there's no point in turning him into a reliever now.

Send him to Mr. Meyoghi (sp obviously hahaha) to learn the art of focus; although, his yoga should help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimv2 View Post
    I've been hoping Meyer would inherit that.

Hopefully this is happening this year, right?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    There are as many as a dozen prospects that are the equal of or better than May. That's really encouraging.

Oh, 13 if you count Engelb Vielma.
    Couldn't it work just as well if we just call him "Glen"? (Glegne Amleiv)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimv2 View Post
    I've been hoping Meyer would inherit that.
    Forget any notion of "inheriting", Meyer should be aspiring to taking Hughes' or Pelfrey's spot.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    There's a 'B' missing there. "Blen"?

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Felix Jorge is above him in my prospect rankings. I'm just not very impressed by a guy that repeated a level and showed little improvement. Sure the potential is there (otherwise he would be brushed under the rug with a mid-4 ERA in AA). I'm just down on him like I was down on Hicks after a few sub-par seasons (P.S. Hick's seasons were still decent, May's have not been).

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    It's difficult for me to dismiss the change in organization. The Twins expect guys to do certain things, I'm sure there was a period of cultural adjustment, and moreover for the Twins tutelage to show up in the results. The home away splits in Mays profile from last year are uncanny--Hughes like.

Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    It's possible he showed up here in Ft Myers yesterday. There were new faces here and I thought one of them was him. Also here were Burton and Perkins. It's good these guys show up early.
    Hopefully Perkins can teach him a few things about the mental side. The article about Perkins and Greg Maddox last year was fascinating.

Also as a big fan of yoga (5x a week myself too) hopefully some of the mental aspects of that (focus, being present, etc.) will help Mays too.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had May at #12 this year, down 2 spots from a year ago but that's primarily due to strong years by others more so than anything negative with May. He certainly didn't dominate AA in his second year at that level, but as Seth writes, you can certainly make the argument that he progressed.

This feels like a make or break year for May, in terms of his future as a rotation member. You absolutely exhaust every effort to create a productive starting pitcher before you resort to putting him in the bullpen, even as a closer. I believe if Perkins could have become even a #3 starting pitcher, he'd have been more valuable to the organization than as a closer. I wouldn't switch a guy to the pen until I became convinced that his ceiling is a back of the rotation guy, or worse. Nobody whose ceiling is that low would even be considered close to a top 10 organizational prospect.

Hoping to see good things from May in Rochester and won't be at all surprised if he's debuting in Minnesota by mid year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of Mayday Malone.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was a lot of fun interviewing Trevor May earlier this off-season, to hear the full interview check out www.taktocontact.com

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pleiss View Post
    It was a lot of fun interviewing Trevor May earlier this off-season, to hear the full interview check out www.taktocontact.com

It should be linked in the article itself too... I hope!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12