Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Mauer Making a Statement?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Mauer Making a Statement?

Senior Member Triple-A TwinsGuy55422's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Having Mauer on the field everyday is great. Even when he is not playing at an MVP level, he is still far better than most. I think he will continue to heat up as the season goes along.

Is there a non-zero chance the Twins could trade Mauer's albatross contract???? Without trading the contract, this team will have little chance of competing until Joe is gone. Terry Ryan needs tons of payroll flexibility to make up for his laundry list of mistakes due to his old school thinking.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mauer making a statement is only part of this. Of course you want a top tier offensive player in the lineup as much as possible. Gardy is doing what he can to ensure he is in the lineup every day. Looking at the flexibility of the bench is a key component to this.

Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    Is there a non-zero chance the Twins could trade Mauer's albatross contract???? Without trading the contract, this team will have little chance of competing until Joe is gone. Terry Ryan needs tons of payroll flexibility to make up for his laundry list of mistakes due to his old school thinking.
    Terry Ryan's laundry list of mistakes? I think he did pretty well with the money he had this off-season...It would of been nice to get a solid starting pitcher addition, but that's just not easy to do on the free agent market dealing with the money and years they want to give.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Is there a non-zero chance the Twins could trade Mauer's albatross contract????"

Is there a non-zero chance that Twins fans will ever stop complaining about this contract when the guy was highly UNDERPAID for years and years and then had ONE bad year at the beginning of the contract?

"Without trading the contract, this team will have little chance of competing until Joe is gone."

This is just false. The Twins could compete spending as much as they are now . . . the problem is that they are spending too much on terrible-to-average pitchers.

Is there a non-zero chance that Twins fans will ever stop complaining about this contract when the guy was highly UNDERPAID for years and years and then had ONE bad year at the beginning of the contract?
    For a small-market team part of winning is underpaying guys and then moving on. Overpaying him now to somehow make up for the value we got from him early in his career may be good for Joe, but it's bad business for us.

Having said that, I don't really mind that much overpaying one excellent franchise player. But there's no point in pretending that he is likely to earn every dime of that contract, even if he plays well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I think it is great he's on the field, and his legs do look fresh. Quite a bit of his WAR is due to his running better. His XBH however, needs some work. He's being outslugged by 8 qualified catchers, I don't even want to look at dh/1B stats....He needs to hit better for the money, he just does. At this price (more than 20% of the entire budget), he needs to be better. But, I agree, great, great sign that he's on the field every day.

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    $23m/per and he gets praised because he's managed an iron man streak of three weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
    For a small-market team part of winning is underpaying guys and then moving on. Overpaying him now to somehow make up for the value we got from him early in his career may be good for Joe, but it's bad business for us.

Having said that, I don't really mind that much overpaying one excellent franchise player. But there's no point in pretending that he is likely to earn every dime of that contract, even if he plays well.
    We're not a small market team any longer, from a $$ perspective. We're decidedly in the upper half, even with this year's lower (starting) payroll.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's hitting .389 with RISP. And slugging .667. Do those numbers mean nothing to the Mauer haters? There are four guys hitting well on this team. Why not focus negative attention towards the rest of the batters and the vast majority of the pitching staff.

Senior Member All-Star
    shanewahl, 8 catchers are outslugging him, does that mean nothing to you? And, I'm not a hater, I'm a fan...
    Lighten up Francis....

Let's be clear - Joe Mauer is and will be the face of this franchise for the balance of his contract. He knows it, Gardy knows it and management knows it. While probably every piece will change around him in the next two years, I fully expect him to be in the lineup almost everyday as the one constant that will bridge this franchise to the future. Like Killebrew, Carew, Puckett/Hrbek before him - Mauer is who people will come to watch, win or lose, as the Twins rebuild. I am not surprised in the least that he is playing everyday and playing at a high level.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    He's playing quite well, although it would be nice to see a little more power production. It's still early, and I expect we'll see more doubles flying around the park. But the anti-Mauer folks (Dan Barreiro, please pick up the white courtesy phone) will cherry-pick any failure as proof that he's crap and unworthy of his contract. He's a great player and with his legs under him this season, i think he's going to prove it all year. With Doumit available to catch, it's far less painful to have Joe plays a little 1B, DH, etc. and hopefully it will keep him able to play a lot more games.

That said, if Mauer is trying to prove anything, it won't be seen by a lot of the haters until a) he drives in a ton of runs (still too many people who rely on the RBI to show who a "good" player is), b) hits more home runs (chicks dig the long ball?), and c) plays a full season appearing in 140+ games. But I'll be perfectly happy if he plays a lot, hits like Joe Mauer, and quietly gives a big ol' middle finger to the critics.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The key point isn't where he ranks right now in SLG (and that's not his stat to watch anyway, he's a BA/OBP guy). It's that he's healthy and Gardy is finding a way to get him in the lineup every day. My contention might actually be that they are making a statement that they shouldn't. I would have no problem with him missing a game every 20. He is still catching at least half the time, so a true day off would not be a bad thing.

Senior Member All-Star
    I do agree with Seth, that he should not try to play every game. I don't agree with Seth that walking and hitting singles adds up to $23MM worth of player, not on a team with a $100MM or less payroll. He does need to SLG more also.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I do agree with Seth, that he should not try to play every game. I don't agree with Seth that walking and hitting singles adds up to $23MM worth of player, not on a team with a $100MM or less payroll. He does need to SLG more also.
    +1 all around.

Blog Entries
    olHe'll get his SLG via doubles. He's 29. to a large extent, he is what it is at this point. I don't think it's fair or right to expect him to be something that he isn'tjust because of the contract that was signed 2 years ago. I don't want him to change the approach that has made him a future hall of famer.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    It's clear at this point that Mauer is not going to be worth $23M to the Twins. There's not much use in further hand-wringing about his salary. I'm not sure why every discussion about him invariably needs to circle back to that complaint.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    It's clear at this point that Mauer is not going to be worth $23M to the Twins. There's not much use in further hand-wringing about his salary. I'm not sure why every discussion about him invariably needs to circle back to that complaint.
    That is correct!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast