Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Platoon "Efficiency and Efficacy" Advantage

Nate Freiman pops into my mind, speaking of this topic. He has no business being on a typical MLB roster. Coming into 2013, his age 26! season, he had never played above AA. The dude is 6'8" and as such is limited to 1B or DH. But he hits LH pitching pretty well. He OPS'd over .800 against lefties last year and got some clutch hits for the A's.

You can afford to do things like this, but only if you have a good bullpen, a manager who will platoon or play splits, and you have to have a few other players who are versatile enough to play multiple positions.

This whole conversation was kind of a mute point because for the most part we couldn't hit period last year, regardless of how we played matchups.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 511 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alskntwnsfn View Post
    This whole conversation was kind of a mute point because for the most part we couldn't hit period last year, regardless of how we played matchups.
    Moot point. Sorry, grammar police.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Moot point. Sorry, grammar police.
    gpo.png
    "Halt. I'm from the Internet."
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 02-04-2014 at 09:20 PM.

4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (02-04-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alskntwnsfn View Post

Statistically a guy that has an OPS of .600 is better than a guy with an OPS of .580. that in theory could get you 1 win over a season of platooning three positions.
    Last edited by The Wise One; 02-04-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecgrimes View Post
    Mauer is worth nowhere near his contract at this point.
    Per FanGraphs, a site that I and many others consider to be an authority on the topic, Mauer has provided value very much in line with his contract the past 2 years when placing a dollar value on Wins Above Replacement. In 2012, he posted +4.7 WAR, which was worth $21 million. In 2013, he posted +5.2 WAR, which was worth $26 million. That will probably take a hit going forward considering he is on the wrong side of the aging curve the loss of defensive value he will provide after the move to first base, but anyone implying that Mauer's salary is hampering the team in any way is just wrong.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

7. This user likes Jdosen's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (02-05-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdosen View Post
    Per FanGraphs, a site that I and many others consider to be an authority on the topic, Mauer has provided value very much in line with his contract the past 2 years when placing a dollar value on Wins Above Replacement. In 2012, he posted +4.7 WAR, which was worth $21 million. In 2013, he posted +5.2 WAR, which was worth $26 million. That will probably take a hit going forward considering he is on the wrong side of the aging curve the loss of defensive value he will provide after the move to first base, but anyone implying that Mauer's salary is hampering the team in any way is just wrong.
    Agreed Mauer has if anything been underrated the last two years, of course we're measuring him in War rather then wins over platoon, at Catcher that makes sense, at first the difference between a replacement production and platoon could be huge. Replacement level first base stats would be very good stats at catcher, add to that with a platoon and your getting to the point of borderline all-star at catcher. I guess the bottom line you could always platoon 1st base for very little money and get very good offensive production.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One could see a strategy of starting a lefty/righty for an inning or two and then switching to a righty/lefty if you have the depth and days off the schedule in the upcoming days to counter around a heavy platooned lineup. You do use a pitcher for that game.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    The Twins already have a prime opportunity for platooning with Kubel and... anybody else. We'll see how much use Gardy makes of it, but I'm worried that Kubel will get far too many ABs against lefties again.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    One could see a strategy of starting a lefty/righty for an inning or two and then switching to a righty/lefty if you have the depth and days off the schedule in the upcoming days to counter around a heavy platooned lineup. You do use a pitcher for that game.
    Tough to do with a 25 man roster, but in a pennate chase come September 1st get every pitcher available up, and if you get to extra innings of a game that didn't go as planned worst case you have to toss a top double A starter in. Of course your minor league teams would be a joke at that point but I've never understood why the Twins should care about the minor league playoffs.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Agreed Mauer has if anything been underrated the last two years, of course we're measuring him in War rather then wins over platoon, at Catcher that makes sense, at first the difference between a replacement production and platoon could be huge. Replacement level first base stats would be very good stats at catcher, add to that with a platoon and your getting to the point of borderline all-star at catcher. I guess the bottom line you could always platoon 1st base for very little money and get very good offensive production.
    Be specific please. Which two players currently available are going to hit better than Mauer or even close? None will hit better against RHP. There may be some that will hit better against LHP, but we actually have options on the team that can do that. Trading him will result in a net loss. We actually have options on the roster that would be available to play 1B and hit from the other side.

Trading Mauer continues to make zero sense.

1. There are no players available that will make up for the loss of production in FA, nor multiple players.

2. The Twins still could still sign players if needed/want -- his salary isn't crippling.

3. The Twins aren't going to have need to sign in-house players for some time so they don't need to clear salary immediately.

Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    When multiple people want to platoon for someone with a career OPS of .790 against left handed pitching it is time to quit trying to make a point. The new buzzword is platoon. Define every situation in terms of platoon. It seems as though the sight is being lost on the actual game.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Be specific please. Which two players currently available are going to hit better than Mauer or even close?
    I understand Mauer's trade value probably isn't all that high unless we were to pay a good chunk of his salary, but this is an explore our options sort of thing. If we are so dead set in ignoring all other options because we have a player who is good enough or more then good enough it's kind of hard to get better especially when we all know in 2 or 3 years he will not be good enough and will still be paid like a superstar. A platoon won't replace Mauer, everyone knows that. However when you actually look at all options, you might find out that you come close enough. Theres gotta be a team out there that would overpay for someone like Joe Mauer, it doesn't take much to greatly improve the long term outlook if we win a Joe Mauer trade by even just a little.

But you want me to say Parmelee and Sano or something meaningless like that.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

But you want me to say Parmelee and Sano or something meaningless like that.
    No, I meant in terms of on the market (IE what we could do with his money, which is really nothing at this point).

We don't actually know that Mauer will "not be good enough" in two years. He could still be one of this team's top two or three hitters and not as replaceable as many would like to think, especially if the move to first adds to his longevity. Despite that he might not be worth that contract, he's not as replaceable (or "near enough") as people might think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12