Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Capuano

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote from today's MLB Traderumors, hopefully Terry Ryan factors this type of further statistical grist to the mill to the point that he is still considering Capuano as an option:

The Steamer projection system, however, projects that Capuano will be approximately as valuable as Bronson Arroyo...... Tim Hudson ....... or Phil Hughes!
    Time to scoop up the bargains as the prices are falling?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...tiz-appel.html
    Last edited by jokin; 02-01-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    That is a rhetorical question I am sure but just who was it?
    Joel Zumaya, late of the Tigers. And the flamethrower didn't get into a game, he blew out his arm warming up in the bullpen after having had two surgeries. He'd been out of baseball all of 2011 and was attempting to come back with the Twins in 2012.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Now that Paul Maholm has signed with the Dodgers for a one year base salary of $1.5M plus incentives to $6.5M, that leaves Capuano as a prime candidate left in the bargain range for LHSP still available. It seems that prices are falling further and Capuano is available at a discounted price to Maholm. Still no indication that the Twins are interested. Can they really be finished shopping, what with all of that talk that they still were willing to spend big $$$ and that they were going to get a higher-end 4th FASP?

I don't see them in on any of the high-end guys. Seems that if you can get Capuano on a $1.5M base salary + incentives you can't go wrong- and they really need a Lefty.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would have signed Capuano instead of Pelfrey. For what that's worth (nothing).

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've always liked Capuano... When the Dodgers added their 23rd starter before 2013 began and nobody knew what they would do with superfluous starters like Capuano and Lilly... I wanted the Twins to try and trade for him last year.

Now... Well... I'd love to have him but I don't want to lose Deduno, Worley or Diamond just yet.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I've always liked Capuano... When the Dodgers added their 23rd starter before 2013 began and nobody knew what they would do with superfluous starters like Capuano and Lilly... I wanted the Twins to try and trade for him last year.

Now... Well... I'd love to have him but I don't want to lose Deduno, Worley or Diamond just yet.
    The Bronson Arroyo=Phil Hughes=Chris Capuano projections from multiple services for 2014 boggles my mind. 60-day DL Deduno, let Worley get a shot in the Pen and see if the Braves want Diamond back.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The Bronson Arroyo=Phil Hughes=Chris Capuano projections from multiple services for 2014 boggles my mind. 60-day DL Deduno, let Worley get a shot in the Pen and see if the Braves want Diamond back.
    There are days that I wish I had your confidence and conviction.

Diamond was a pleasant surprise in 2012. That shakes my let him go world.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The prudent thing to do is to let the out-of-options guys fight for a roster spot, hoping that someone likes what they see and makes a decent offer for one of them. So much can happen that could impact roster spots for them.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    From MLB Traderumors: More breakdown on Arroyo and his contract relative to other pitchers out there http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...ng-market.html

In a nutshell, the theory is, the offseason market has fallen so low for mid-/back-end-rotation starters, that LHSP Chris Capuano might now be available for LHSP Jeff Francis-type guaranteed money ($1.5M in 2013).

"If not, though, Maholm's deal doesn't bode well for a pitcher like lefty free agent Chris Capuano. Capuano's value has been similar to Vargas or Maholm the past three seasons (with 4.8 total fWAR)................

Given Capuano's tendency to pitch reasonably strong innings when healthy, though, he could give his next team great value. Maholm's contract could be a bargain for the Dodgers, and the team that picks up Capuano could be in line for a bargain as well."

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    The Red Sox replace the 2013 $13.25M Ryan Dempster-debacle with a dumpster-dive-plunder in Chris Capuano- for only 1 yr/$2.25M base with incentives to $5M.

With Paul Maholm getting potentially $6.5M, and Capuano projected to comp more closely to Arroyo, Hudson and Hughes, it's a shame that a team short a LHSP, didn't more seriously consider this low-risk option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12