Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Article: Pelfrey Excited about Meyer, Twins Future

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 277 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I liked the signing too, on the merits of Pelfrey's 2nd half.

I don't care if he brings a beret or a do-rag to the clubhouse culture.
    Compare Pelfreys contract and stats to Bruce Chen, who just signed a one year deal at $4.25M, with a mutual option at $5.5M and a $1M buyout.

Chen and Pelfrey have essentially the same career ERA. Chen's ERA over the last four years:

4.17, 3.77, 5.07, and 3.27.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regarding culture:

Robert Putnam's book "Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community" is an interesting study in social capital, defined as a form of social networks: "whereas physical capital refers to physical objects and human capital refers to the properties of individuals, social capital refers to connections among individuals – social networks and the norms of reciprocity and trustworthiness that arise from them."

A major league clubhouse, dugout, and playing field are fascinating places to study social capital. The popularity of Roger Kahn's "The Boys of Summer" and "October Men: Reggie Jackson, George Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, and the Yankees Fantastic Finish in 1978" are two lyrical examinations of the bonds and bridges that develop--or are torn down--when a group of men form a baseball team.

Putnam identifies "bridging" and "bonding" social capital as two distinct types of human relationships. Bonding capital occurs among people of similar religious, cultural, or social groups. So, when I went to the Midwinter Meltdown, I met a lot of white, baseball loving guys in their twenties and thirties. At 47 I felt a little old...

Bridging social capital is discovered when a veteran pitcher befriends a younger pitcher. It's also a form of bonding, since Pelfrey and Meyer have so much in common as starting pitchers with high talent.

Think, for instance of Pedro Florimon and Miguel Sano on the left side of the infield. Both are from the Dominican Republic. Florimon has lateral range, whereas Sano has soft hands and a cannon arm (provided that ulnar collateral ligament holds up), but his size may limit his side-to-side mobility. Florimon and Sano might develop a nice bond, aided by Dominican culture, and a reciprocal relationship in the field.

The same could be said for Venezuelans Oswaldo Arcia and Eduardo Escobar, or Brian Dozier and Byron Buxton who hail from the Deep South, while Buxton and Hicks are former first round drafted outfielders who happen to be African American.

Mauer, Theilbar, and Perkins talk Minnesotan, don'tcha know...

It's an interesting team, with some fascinating aspects of bonding and bridging social capital built into an emerging roster. What does that mean? Maybe not that much, but it's interesting to speculate--or wistfully imagine--that guys like Pelfrey might be bridge builders as this team takes shape in the coming months.
    Last edited by Don't Feed the Greed Guy; 02-01-2014 at 08:06 AM. Reason: eliminating some redundancy; an added paragraph.

3. These 3 users like Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (02-01-2014), twinsfan34 (02-01-2014), wagwan (02-03-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baseball teams can be very interesting because I too believe that team chemistry, or whatever you want to call it, can contribute to winning. This talk about culture is a little different than what a baseball clubhouse is likely to be. Many corporations try to create their own "cultures" which tend to exclude people, no matter how competent, who don't "fit" the culture. I know some people who were let go or downsized by one the big employers here in Fargo. Some were close to brilliant in their field. I know one who became a contractor like what Mike had described in an above post.

One of the problems I have with these kind of cultures is that it is a sort of prejudice that I am pretty uncomfortable with. When you start firing people who are good at their jobs, merely because they don't "fit" quite well enough with a particular group, well that doesn't seem quite right to me. That you have "measures" that let you justify it, almost makes it worse.

Now, I don't believe baseball organizations operate that way. Baseball is so competitve that performance tends to be the overriding factor. Clearly, if you have 2 individuals whose performances are likely to be very close, management is going lean toward the individual who brings certain intangibles to the mix such as leadership, ability to mentor, etc. Trying to establish some sort of "culture" like some corportations do what likely be impossible given the everchanging nature of a clubhouse.

Nevertheless, most teams do try to establish something like the "Twins Way" which is in part, a way to bring people from widely disparate backrounds together to work toward a common goal. How important the "Twins Way" is, well, that is open to debate. Clearly, talent is an awfully big factor here. Doing things the Twins Way won't help much if the players aren't talented enough.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Compare Pelfreys contract and stats to Bruce Chen, who just signed a one year deal at $4.25M, with a mutual option at $5.5M and a $1M buyout.

Chen and Pelfrey have essentially the same career ERA. Chen's ERA over the last four years:

4.17, 3.77, 5.07, and 3.27.
    Pelfrey just turned 30 and has a 94-95 mph FB, Chen is around 37 and spots a 86 mph fastball.

This is like saying that the Twins should go after Barry Zito (who is still a FA btw and had better FIP & xFIP than Chen and is a year younger) because he would only likely cost a MiLB contract
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Thrylos, you made a number of points in this thread that I applaud, but I'll never understand your disdain for Michael Cuddyer. Every mention of his name seems to rub you wrong.
    I sure wouldn't have complained about having his 2013 production in right field over Parmelee's. I guess you got your wish on that one.
    But more to the point, having your "mentor-type" SP be a 30 yr old with a sturdy track record and 90-94 velocity is a win in my book. The clubhouse chemistry angle is nice, but it's not like he's earned this job on his personality alone.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Pelfrey just turned 30 and has a 94-95 mph FB, Chen is around 37 and spots a 86 mph fastball.

This is like saying that the Twins should go after Barry Zito (who is still a FA btw and had better FIP & xFIP than Chen and is a year younger) because he would only likely cost a MiLB contract
    So we are going with fastball velocity over actual results? That 94 mph fastball has gotten Pelfrey a 4.48 era over 1,048 innings. That 86 mph fastball got Chen a 4.49 era. Chen's K rate per nine is 6.7 compared to Pelfreys 5.2. Over the last full four years they have pitched, Chen has a 4.20 era compared to Pelfreys 4.61.

Maybe a lack of secondary offerings for Pelfrey offsets the velocity and mixing pitches has worked well for Chen? We have a lot of different stats available, but we should always look at actual results as well, especially when you have two established guys with north of 1k innings.

My original point is the second year and annual amount was high given comparable guys like Chen who signed for fewer dollars and years.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 02-02-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Cuddyer and Pelfrey are totally different people in the way they are interacting with the public and within the clubhouse. Cuddyer was a mouthpiece, Pelfrey is a clubhouse guy. Pelfrey would have not been all smiles on the TV saying "we'll get them next year" moments after the Twins lost game 163 in Chicago (and they lost that game in part because Cuddyer did not slide to break the play at the plate.)

Not fair to Pelfrey to compare those 2.
    Actually, my dear friend thrylos, what's unfair is for you to characterize Cuddyer in the way you have. You have been hugely critical of Cuddyer for years, haven't you? Both his personality and his proficiency as a ballplayer.

Answer this question: what evidence can you give us that Cuddyer is not "a clubhouse guy" in the same vein as Pelfry?

I'm callin' bias.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moderator note -- let's be careful here. It's getting a little too personal.

10. This user likes glunn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (02-02-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    There has been much written over the last few years that Cuddyer is very self-serving and not the great clubhouse influence that he appears to be. This is a somewhat offensive statement I realize and if the moderators decide to delete it I am fine with that, just wanted to mention something about Cuddyer's attitude that has been purported over the years and that I have read previously. I do not know how else to put this delicate situation

I think Cuddyer has grown as a person since he left the Twins. I think he has grown as a player, into even more of a clubhouse leader.

I wish him only the best.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK, if this thread is considered hijacked, so be it. I never met the man, but I have always loved Cuddy's attitude and appreciated his effort. There may have been whispers that Cuddy loves the camera etc., but he's always given maximum effort on the field and never complained where he was in the lineup or in the field. I've seen lots of compliments about how he's played the game and dealt with younger players. No one is going to be loved by everyone in the clubhouse, but I think Cuddyer is a great example of how a MLB player should go about his business.

14. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (02-02-2014)

I agree

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cuddyer was (and is) about as classy an individual as there is in baseball. Question the value of leadership in the clubhouse. He got credit because he was willing to step up and talk to the media even when things got bad. Nothing wrong with that. But, having talked to some of the guys that were on the teams, Cuddyer is a tremendous person in the clubhouse.

17. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (02-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Cuddyer was (and is) about as classy an individual as there is in baseball. Question the value of leadership in the clubhouse. He got credit because he was willing to step up and talk to the media even when things got bad. Nothing wrong with that. But, having talked to some of the guys that were on the teams, Cuddyer is a tremendous person in the clubhouse.
    It is not a surprise to me that people within the clubhouse would say he is a good guy. In the clubhouse he seemed well respected and consistently moved around in the field when his team needed him to. From 2B, 3B, LF, RH, then to 1B. That is not a prima-donna type.

All I ever heard about Cuddy was how involved he was in the community too. I believe he won a Twins charity award for all the work he and his wife did and he was on the Twins community fund board of directors.

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Moderator note -- let's be careful here. It's getting a little too personal.
    And please also be careful as a moderator. The only comment I see in this thread that was "too personal" was an attack on the character of someone who is not here to defend himself, Cuddyer.

Can anyone give us even anecdotal evidence that Cuddyer was not respected, even admired, by his teammates? Any "whispers" that Cuddyer was self-serving have come from right here, in my opinion, and from one person in particular. Cuddyer may be comfortable in front of the camera, and the media gravitates towards guys like him. Same with Puckett and now Dozier.

I'd encourage the moderators to treat unfounded assaults against a person's character with the same vigilance regardless of whether the victim is a commenter or a celebrity who is not present. It is not alright to do that just because he/she is a public figure.

20. This user likes birdwatcher's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (02-03-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    There has been much written over the last few years that Cuddyer is very self-serving and not the great clubhouse influence that he appears to be. This is a somewhat offensive statement I realize and if the moderators decide to delete it I am fine with that, just wanted to mention something about Cuddyer's attitude that has been purported over the years and that I have read previously. I do not know how else to put this delicate situation
    Sorry, I don't buy this at all, oldguy. Can you please name one place, other than right here, that you've read anything that even hinted that he was self-serving and less than a positive clubhouse guy? Are you sure that the "much has been written" isn't all from this forum?

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    There may have been whispers that Cuddy loves the camera etc.,
    My favorite is that he loves being BEHIND the camera. I love looking through his photo album on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fivebball/

23. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (02-03-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Putnam identifies "bridging" and "bonding" social capital as two distinct types of human relationships. Bonding capital occurs among people of similar religious, cultural, or social groups. So, when I went to the Midwinter Meltdown, I met a lot of white, baseball loving guys in their twenties and thirties. At 47 I felt a little old...
    At 57, I feel a little older at those functions. Then again, sometimes spending time with so many younger fans makes me feel younger, too. (At least for one evening.)

I do think maybe it's time for TwinsDaily to start offering a "senior discount" to the events, so we get a few more of us old farts in the room!

Yes, I know, I hijacked the hijacked thread. My bad.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

25. These 3 users like Jim Crikket's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

crarko (02-03-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (02-03-2014), JB_Iowa (02-03-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    And please also be careful as a moderator.

I'd encourage the moderators...

I'd encourage you to please review the Comments Policy, specifically the section about the discussion of moderator actions where they don't belong.

http://www.twinsdaily.com/showthread...l=1#post164885

There is a place to discuss the moderation of the forum, but it's not in the middle of a baseball thread.

http://www.twinsdaily.com/forumdispl...ut-Twins-Daily

27. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (02-04-2014)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123