Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twins Sign Matt Guerrier to Minor League Deal

Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    Not sure there is much too it, but Gardy did mention in one of this interviews around Twinsfest, something to the effect of wanting to change the attitude of the club. I think he said "bring in winners" or "bring in guys that know what it is like to win". Most of these former Twins were part of a number of winning seasons. The same can't be said about most of the roster that has been turned over since 2010.

We did lose some vocal clubhouse guys in Cuddy, Punto and Nathan. Perhaps they are trying to change the attitude and know what they are getting in some of these older but known commodities. They don't have to make the 40 man roster to have an impact on the roster and the approach the young guys have to the game.
    I can get on board with this explanation. Gardenhire shouldn't be shy about drawing on his own experience of winning, however (or Mauer for that matter).

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    63-48 4.14 ERA better career numbers then the 4 pitchers you are touting
    And he's spent the last 2+ seasons on the DL. Baker knew full well he was going to get a minor league contract. He knew full well that he was going to need to sign a 1 year deal with a team that is going to give him a realistic shot to start... so it isn't going to be with his former team who has already signed 3 FA SPs and have a 4th under contract. The Twins options were to not sign one of the other three or give Baker a major league contract. Would you be applauding them for doing either? I think there would be a lot more people upset here... and for good reason. No one wants to see the return of PJ Walters, and very few people would have been happy had Baker been considered a FA signing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Mediocre old guy, or young guy with upside who still has to learn....which would you rather watch in MN or Rochester? If he's mediocre/bad, and goes to Rochester, does a young guy stay in AA that could move up? Does that delay his appearance in MN when he's needed? Those are the possible downsides, imo. Not sure any of them come to fruition, but to imply there is no downside to filling AAA with old guys, as opposed to younger players with upside, well, that seems off to me. There is always downside risk in any move or non-move.
    Lighten up Francis....

4. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-29-2014), Kwak (01-29-2014)

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, if this was anyone else, this is no news. I don't see what the problem is here. Minor league signings happen every year. Every team does them. The fact that we go with a guy with upside that we know doesn't bother me at all.

6. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsnorth49 (01-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Baker signed with Seattle. Can't bring back that winner.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Matty Guerrier...for whatever reason....was always I guy I felt trust with when he came to the mound. Probably one of my favorites from that bullpen group - glad to see him in the mix.

9. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Mediocre old guy, or young guy with upside who still has to learn....which would you rather watch in MN or Rochester? If he's mediocre/bad, and goes to Rochester, does a young guy stay in AA that could move up? Does that delay his appearance in MN when he's needed? Those are the possible downsides, imo. Not sure any of them come to fruition, but to imply there is no downside to filling AAA with old guys, as opposed to younger players with upside, well, that seems off to me. There is always downside risk in any move or non-move.
    If Guerrier ends up organizational filler see Brandon Boggs. Minor league contracts are no guarantee of staying with the team. There still is no downside. If you were confident everyone was stepping up you wouldn't sign him. If Guerrier steps up great, if he doesn't AAA. Nobody steps up from AA, you have your hole filled. If someone does, there is no cost to cut.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN talked with Twins manager Ron Gardenhire yesterday and was told the team is circling back with one more notable free agent. "[Assistant GM] Rob [Antony] just called me the other day and told me they were gonna make another run at a guy, and I'm like, 'Wow that's pretty good,'" said Gardenhire.

I certainly hope Guerrier isn't the guy to make Gardenhire this excited.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    IF they cut him.....or do they keep a guy around that is ok, because they young guy "still has to earn his way".....I mean, should they fill all of AAA with AAAA guys, because then Rochester is better, or should it also have some guys that are maybe AA right now, but will be AAA and then MLB?

Again, I'm not saying it will happen, but to say "no possible downside", that's not how the world works, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    TR: We're putting the band back together.
    Johan Santana: Forget it. No way
    Gardy: We're on a mission from God.
    There was an article yesterday about Bartlett and Kubel's return and Bartlett said, "Tyner called me up the other day and asked if there was an old-timer's game. Where do I sign up?"

14. These 2 users like notoriousgod71's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-29-2014), mike wants wins (01-29-2014)

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN talked with Twins manager Ron Gardenhire yesterday and was told the team is circling back with one more notable free agent. "[Assistant GM] Rob [Antony] just called me the other day and told me they were gonna make another run at a guy, and I'm like, 'Wow that's pretty good,'" said Gardenhire.

I certainly hope Guerrier isn't the guy to make Gardenhire this excited.
    I just hope its not Arroyo.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    And he's spent the last 2+ seasons on the DL. Baker knew full well he was going to get a minor league contract. He knew full well that he was going to need to sign a 1 year deal with a team that is going to give him a realistic shot to start... so it isn't going to be with his former team who has already signed 3 FA SPs and have a 4th under contract. The Twins options were to not sign one of the other three or give Baker a major league contract. Would you be applauding them for doing either? I think there would be a lot more people upset here... and for good reason. No one wants to see the return of PJ Walters, and very few people would have been happy had Baker been considered a FA signing.
    I take Baker over Pelfrey..yup, at least we dont wait 4.37 minutes between pitches, even if we only get 27 starts instead of 32

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    it is nothing more then bringing back a known name in hopes of selling a couple more tickets.
    it adds nothing to the future.
    I'm trying to envision a scenario in which the Matt Guerrier signing leads to increased ticket sales. Friends and family members?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    I'm trying to envision a scenario in which the Matt Guerrier signing leads to increased ticket sales. Friends and family members?
    The Matt Guerrier fan club, all of four members, two of whom are just radio listeners since they went into the home.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Downside would be something like Mike Trombley circa 2002.

20. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

notoriousgod71 (01-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Downside would be something like Mike Trombley circa 2002.
    YES! That is exactly what I thought when I heard the news. Or Guardado 2008.

Not every signing has to fill a future need. Sometimes you have to fill needs in the present. Most people here would like to see the Twins do better. I would like to see them do better sooner rather than later. If there is a hole in the Twins bullpen this year and Guerrier can fill it, so be it. If it doesn't that's ok as well.
    Look at the big picture. If Deduno, Worley and Diamond don't make the 25 man roster as starters OR relievers and they are waived and claimed, there will be openings in the organization at the AAA level for major league experienced pitchers to fill in for injuries. The Twins are only doing their due diligence and planning for the loss of experienced pitchers. They appear to have enough potential high level starters, they also need high level experienced relievers.
    If he pitches well, but doesn't make the team, he would also make a good tradable asset. If they could get something for Butera, they could get something for Guerrier.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 289 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    IF they cut him.....or do they keep a guy around that is ok, because they young guy "still has to earn his way".....I mean, should they fill all of AAA with AAAA guys, because then Rochester is better, or should it also have some guys that are maybe AA right now, but will be AAA and then MLB?

Again, I'm not saying it will happen, but to say "no possible downside", that's not how the world works, imo.
    OK, there are always risks. But the risk is about the same as the risk of not signing him. What if we don't sign him? Well, then it's possible injuries at AAA will force us to move an arm up who isn't ready and it practically wrecks his career. If the risk of signing him is the same as the risk of not signing him, for all intents and purposes, there's no risk.

Now, please don't get me started on the risk of failing to not sign him.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pat Neshek is a free agent too
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts
    Good Lord - this is the kind of stuff that drives people away from TD. There is no downside to this in any way, shape or form. They can cut the guy tomorrow if they want. Opposition to signings like this are petulant potshots at TR.

26. These 6 users like Linus's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

70charger (01-30-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (01-29-2014), diehardtwinsfan (01-30-2014), Halsey Hall (01-29-2014), jimv2 (01-29-2014), Seth Stohs (01-29-2014)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast