Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Drew

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,512 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    The fact that the Sox would rather have the pick than Drew is telling, though. But, to be fair, they do have a better replacement.
    That's a huge understatement. Keeping Drew in Boston over Bogaerts would be like retaining 2013 Trevor Plouffe so you could keep 2015 Miguel Sano in the minors.

Drew's ability has very little to do with the Sox' qualifying offer. It has everything to do with Xander Bogaerts' ability.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I don't think anyone wants Drew long-term, but a one or two year deal, plus all the consequences surrounding a favorably flippable SS asset.... and.... given the Twins history in the 2nd round, you can probably get a more proven prospect on the flip, or a Sandwich 1st Rd. Pick after a declined QO.
    Boston is having a hard time getting a team to bite on their comp pick right now after his best and least injury filled season in three years. I don't think the Twins can count on getting much for him at $10M per unless you think he's actually going to improve off last season. That would seem to be quite a longshot considering his splits away from Fenway.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 242 Times in 175 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    3 years with a 4th player option, get it done TR.
    I like Drew at 3/30 or less. Two with an option would be preferred. If we are going to pick a potential 4th or 5th starter with our second round pick like Eades, this would not be worth much in my opinion.

Also, things can change over the next year that can turn a draft from deep to average or worse. Players get hurt, struggle, fail tests, get suspended, etc. Sean Mannea was supposed to be a candidate for 1-1 and he went in the second round. Jonathan Gray was not a first round pick and not even a Friday starter at the beginning of the year. Gonslaves went from the first round to the fourth. It is early.

Making the list and making it and staying in the show are two different things.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Cant say it enough Diaz....a young guy to grow up with the team ....not someone who will decline when we need them the most..but that is only me

go Twins
    Why not both? You're making the assumption Diaz is major league ready, which there is considerable doubt on. Additionally there are quite a few out there that project him more as a 2nd baseman.

6. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-30-2014)

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to make a prediction. Drew will sign somewhere for even less than we're talking about now. A fair portion of TD will vomit in disgust and the Drew topic will surpass the 5,000 post mark.

8. These 5 users like jay's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (01-30-2014), mike wants wins (01-30-2014), snepp (01-30-2014), twinsnorth49 (01-30-2014), USAFChief (01-30-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    Let's face it, 2014 is not going to be a year that we're in contention. You sign Drew now, even to a 3 year deal, and for 1/3 of the contract he'll do us no good. Personally, I'd rather muddle through a couple of seasons with Florimon and Santana, and draft Trea Turner in June, along with a high-upside HS pitcher in the second. Turner could be ready as soon as 2016 and would be a great addition to a future core of Buxton, Sano, Arcia, Pinto, Hicks, Meyer, Gibson, Berrios, Dozier, Rosario, etc. I'd much prefer that scenario than signing Drew. I have a feeling in the future, Drew might consider accepting a QO rather than go through the headache he's gone through this winter.

10. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (02-04-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I'm going to make a prediction. Drew will sign somewhere for even less than we're talking about now. A fair portion of TD will vomit in disgust and the Drew topic will surpass the 5,000 post mark.
    And then, as is usually the case in such situations, reality will hurt and Drew will have been utterly meaningless to the team that signed him. Ultimately negating the entire debate in the first place.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I like Drew at 3/30 or less. Two with an option would be preferred.
    I was half joking, if that wasn't clear. The market is so weak for SS's I doubt a guaranteed 3rd year is in the cards for Drew.

That said I still like him as a definite upgrade in the short term and long term. LH-swinging middle infielders who can hit don't come around every year.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Let's face it, 2014 is not going to be a year that we're in contention. You sign Drew now, even to a 3 year deal, and for 1/3 of the contract he'll do us no good. Personally, I'd rather muddle through a couple of seasons with Florimon and Santana, and draft Trea Turner in June, along with a high-upside HS pitcher in the second. Turner could be ready as soon as 2016 and would be a great addition to a future core of Buxton, Sano, Arcia, Pinto, Hicks, Meyer, Gibson, Berrios, Dozier, Rosario, etc. I'd much prefer that scenario than signing Drew. I have a feeling in the future, Drew might consider accepting a QO rather than go through the headache he's gone through this winter.
    If Turner is the BPA available to the Twins in next year's draft, pick him up.

But MLB roster decisions should not be made based on a draft that hasn't happened yet.

If you think Florimon is a "good enough" stop-gap, so be it... But planning 3-4 years out and basing decisions on players that aren't even under your control is a good way to be a really bad team for a really long time... or in perpetuity, really.

14. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-30-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do people want depth or not? There is probably no thinner position in the system than SS.

http://twinsdaily.com/content.php/26...dle-Infielders

Escobar > Bartlett > Bernier

Geewizh, Bartlett and Bernier are 34 and 33. Too old to play SS.

16. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-30-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Do people want depth or not? There is probably no thinner position in the system than SS.

http://twinsdaily.com/content.php/26...dle-Infielders

Escobar > Bartlett > Bernier

Geewizh, Bartlett and Bernier are 34 and 33. Too old to play SS.
    I would say the depth chart is closer to: Florimon > Santana > Bartlett > Escobar > Bernier

TR has said Santana is a dark horse candidate to win the job outright out of spring training.

It's still not as good as Drew. But it's not desperate. I'd say the Twins already feel they've signed their shortstop and are looking for a bench bat at this point. Part of a gentleman's agreement on a minor league deal is not to sign a starter on a major league deal. It would shock me if they signed Drew. We are wasting keystrokes talking about it.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

18. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (02-04-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    It's still not as good as Drew. But it's not desperate. I'd say the Twins already feel they've signed their shortstop and are looking for a bench bat at this point. Part of a gentleman's agreement on a minor league deal is not to sign a starter on a major league deal. It would shock me if they signed Drew. We are wasting keystrokes talking about it.
    In the case of Jason Kubel, sure, I think that agreement applies.

But in the case of Jason Bartlett, a guy that hasn't played an MLB game in nearly 24 months? Probably not so much.

And if it does exist, it shouldn't.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I'm waffling on Drew. Maybe the Twins are also. Does having Drew help them be better? I think so, I'm pretty sure. Does drew help them enough for it to "matter". Well, I think a team should always get better if they are not blocking a young guy and not tying up roster spots and money, generally. OTOH, I am not sure I would go to more games if Drew is there, or if Santana is there half way through the year (or Escobar).

I don't see a good SS solution this year, and maybe not next year, other than Drew, unless they are dealing a good asset for a good player/prospect.

So, do you try to get better, since you probably aren't blocking a legit prospect? Do fans want to watch older players on a bad team, or are they more likely to buy tickets to watch young guys struggle on a bad team? Last year was the worst. They were bad, and had few prospects up here (Hicks and Arcia and eventually Gibson). It wasn't some young team you felt you could grow with, imo.

So, what do you do? Not sure. I think I'd sign him, but I can see why they might not.
    Lighten up Francis....

21. These 3 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-04-2014), SydneyTwinsFan (01-30-2014), USAFChief (01-30-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'm waffling on Drew. Maybe the Twins are also. Does having Drew help them be better? I think so, I'm pretty sure. Does drew help them enough for it to "matter". Well, I think a team should always get better if they are not blocking a young guy and not tying up roster spots and money, generally. OTOH, I am not sure I would go to more games if Drew is there, or if Santana is there half way through the year (or Escobar).

I don't see a good SS solution this year, and maybe not next year, other than Drew, unless they are dealing a good asset for a good player/prospect.

So, do you try to get better, since you probably aren't blocking a legit prospect? Do fans want to watch older players on a bad team, or are they more likely to buy tickets to watch young guys struggle on a bad team? Last year was the worst. They were bad, and had few prospects up here (Hicks and Arcia and eventually Gibson). It wasn't some young team you felt you could grow with, imo.

So, what do you do? Not sure. I think I'd sign him, but I can see why they might not.
    This mirrors how I feel about Drew, really. I lean toward signing him but it won't break my heart if they don't... But I really doubt Florimon is going to be an adequate shortstop. I expect little to no improvement from him. If the Twins are going to shore up the position, it will have to be from Escobar (almost as unlikely as Florimon) or Santana (still pretty unlikely).

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Why not both? You're making the assumption Diaz is major league ready, which there is considerable doubt on. Additionally there are quite a few out there that project him more as a 2nd baseman.
    Me making assumptions? didnt I say a young guy to grow up with the team?
    Well guess what, right now today , we aint got much of a team...when the 1st and 2nd wave of kids get here we will start to have something, so maybe 2014 -2016 he is ready , and that is when we will see most of our kids here , so I would make the assumtion that would be growing up with the team. As for Drew , not sure he will hit enough to make up for the defensive ability of florimon, and Me likes having the 2nd round pick this year(41-46th), hopefully our last drafing in the top 3rd of the draft, but if you believe the experts we have at least another year of losing 90+ games
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 01-30-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Just to do a little Devil's Advocate here...

1) cmatthewson makes a good point about future depth... maybe we just have to ride it out a bit? What if Florimon does something with the bat in 14?

2) With the Arroyo gripes about no offers fresh in mind, what IF the go-nowhere market for Drew gets in his head and his price drops to bargain-basement levels? Sure, there's still the pick, but- Devil's Advocate- at what price level/years do you get seriously tempted to the point that you can justify giving up that pick?

Seems like this kind of math is where things are headed.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've made my statements on Drew on many occasions. I don't see the big deal either way.

That said, am I the only one who thinks we shouldn't be discounting Escobar? The guy has shown flashes in his career of being able to hit quite well, and he's young enough that it could still translate in the majors...

/and I really really really want to be able to run the Liriano trade into Sox fans.

26. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (02-04-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Nope, I listed Escobar as someone that might be blocked by Drew/Bartlett. I'd rather have Escobar up here than Bartlett.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,189 Times in 694 Posts
    Roster now at 39. (Good Luck in Korea, Andrew Albers).

Time for the Twins to show which way they are headed with another signing this off-season.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast