Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Law Rankings

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Twins questions and answers from his chat today:

Buxton/Meyer or Appel/Correa - which duo would you prefer?

Klaw (1:25 PM)
    Appel/Correa of those choices.

Re: Rosario - it is unfortunate that MLB's silly and inconsistent recreation drug testing policy will cost him a large portion of this season.
    Klaw (1:27 PM)
    I agree with you on the principle, but Rosario's makeup isn't the greatest, and I wonder if this might be a wakeup call for the kid to clean up his act. He has way too much ability to let something like that get in between him and the big leagues.

What do you see as Hunter Harvey's advantages over Kohl Stewart, who some saw as the number 1 guy in the draft?

Klaw (1:34 PM)
    Harvey came on very strong over the summer after signing, and the Orioles managed to get big results from small tweaks to his delivery. I still love Stewart's upside, but the Twins have more cleanup work to do with him than the O's did with Harvey.

Out of your list, who would you say would be most likely to become an MVP candidate
    Klaw (1:36 PM)
    Buxton.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Did he expand on Meyer at all? Seems like a 98 mph fastball and 91 mph slider would be closer to MLB's ranking of 28.
    He worries about tall pitchers being able to find their consistency and stay healthy. He backs it up with some historical numers:

only Randy Johnson and J.R. Richard have reached 20-plus WAR among pitchers 6-foot-8 or taller, and only Johnson has made 250 starts.
    As for Stewart, he says he has incredible raw stuff but expects it will take a long time, perhaps as long as five years, for him to iron it out and move his way through the system. He calls his delivery "crude".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    He worries about tall pitchers being able to find their consistency and stay healthy. He backs it up with some historical numers:

As for Stewart, he says he has incredible raw stuff but expects it will take a long time, perhaps as long as five years, for him to iron it out and move his way through the system. He calls his delivery "crude".
    His comments on Stewart are odd seeing his coworker Christopher Crawford and BA said Stewart could be the first HS player to make the bigs. While his delivery is crude his stuff is already well above average. Law also had Stewart in his mid season top 50 which is also odd.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also find it interesting that the three guys drafted just above Stewart are ranked 11, 12 and 15. It means nothing of course, except that the perception of there being a large dropoff after those first three picks is still certainly there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=admin;193768]He worries about tall pitchers being able to find their consistency and stay healthy. He backs it up with some historical numers:

I don't know where to find stats on this, but I dont' recall many pithers 6'8 or taller in MLB. Seems like these guys were playing basketball 10-20 years ago.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Law is hilarious....check this out...

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-keith-law

Adam (LA)

Can you actually answer questions about players on the list rather than just the people whining about guys who didn't make it?
    Klaw (1:21 PM)

Maybe, if you stop hitting the Submit button repeatedly like a crack-addicted rat in a lab maze.

Devon (Some mountain)

How in the world did Edwin Escobar not make your list?
    Klaw (1:17 PM)

Because 100 other prospects were better. Seriously, that's a clown question. Give me a reason why Escobar belonged.

I was surpised by how low Stewart was but found this encouraging...

Mike (DC)

What prospect outside your top 15 or so has the best change to jump to top 5 in next years list? My bet would be on Giolito.
    Klaw (1:57 PM)

Or Bundy or Guerrieri. Those are easy calls though, due to the injuries. Could be someone like J.P. Crawford, because he's an up the middle guy with skills on both sides of the ball, or pitchers like Kohl Stewart or Miguel Almonte who flash plus stuff and could do so more consistently this year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I also find it interesting that the three guys drafted just above Stewart are ranked 11, 12 and 15. It means nothing of course, except that the perception of there being a large dropoff after those first three picks is still certainly there.
    Those three above him were all college players who are well over two years older than Stewart. It's not hard to believe they would be ranked higher since they are more likely further in their development.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I agree, and Sano's defense may impact his value at the plate. If he can't stick at 3B and moves to 1B, LF, or DH his value drops. He would still lead this team in OPS or be in the top 2, but his value takes a hit. Compare that with guys that can hit and are locks to stay at SS like Correa or Russell. Some find his K's as an issue as well.
    Correa is already 6'4" tall as a 19 year old. He is athletic for his size so he might stick but that is hardly a given at this point.

Twins have four middle infielders (3) Eddie Rosario (10) Jorge Polanco, SS/2B (11) Engelb Vielma (13) Danny Santana in their top 13 prospects of a very strong farm system.

Is that a function of middle infielders being premium value or because these guys are strong prospects? Does anyone have insight on
    Engelb Vielma? GCL batting stats look pretty weak. Is he in the Florimon mold?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by claryad View Post
    Twins have four middle infielders (3) Eddie Rosario (10) Jorge Polanco, SS/2B (11) Engelb Vielma (13) Danny Santana in their top 13 prospects of a very strong farm system.
    I just thought this while reading his Organization top 10's: "Who is Engelb Vielma, and why does Law like him so much?!"

That's one big surprise to me in his Twins notes.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Law is hilarious....check this out...
    How in the world did Edwin Escobar not make your list?

Klaw (1:17 PM)
    Because 100 other prospects were better. Seriously, that's a clown question. Give me a reason why Escobar belonged.
    I don't find this sample hilarious. What about just answering the guy's question, such as naming the weakest one or two areas of Escobar's game that stands in the way of a better ranking? Asking the guy to name Escobar's strongest area wouldn't be convincing anyway. He gave a clown answer.

13. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (01-30-2014), nicksaviking (01-30-2014), USAFChief (01-31-2014)

Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    I just thought this while reading his Organization top 10's: "Who is Engelb Vielma, and why does Law like him so much?!"

That's one big surprise to me in his Twins notes.
    I feel like I follow the Twins' system pretty closely. I would have been willing to lose a pretty huge amount if you'd have bet me he's on any legitimate top-15 Twins prospect lists.

Seth, help??

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I feel like I follow the Twins' system pretty closely. I would have been willing to lose a pretty huge amount if you'd have bet me he's on any legitimate top-15 Twins prospect lists.

Seth, help??
    I follow it very closely, and he's not even a guy close to my radar...
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I don't find this sample hilarious. What about just answering the guy's question, such as naming the weakest one or two areas of Escobar's game that stands in the way of a better ranking? Asking the guy to name Escobar's strongest area wouldn't be convincing anyway. He gave a clown answer.
    After receiving homer questions like that one for the 10,000th time, I imagine that it's hard to resist giving clown answers in return.

Fans tend to overrate their own prospects without having the slightest clue what else is out there. I'd probably get snippy after receiving that type of question over and over again, just like Law.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is the official Keith Law top ten for the Twins Minor league system. Does anybody have the list.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Twins' Top 10

Player, POS (Top 100 rank)
    1. Byron Buxton, CF (1)
    2. Miguel Sano, 3B (8)
    3. Eddie Rosario, 2B/CF (49)
    4. Alex Meyer, RHP (62)
    5. Kohl Stewart, RHP (76)
    6. Jose Berrios, RHP
    7. Max Kepler, OF
    8. Josmil Pinto, C
    9. Lewis Thorpe, RHP
    10. Jorge Polanco, SS/2B

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    After receiving homer questions like that one for the 10,000th time, I imagine that it's hard to resist giving clown answers in return.

Fans tend to overrate their own prospects without having the slightest clue what else is out there. I'd probably get snippy after receiving that type of question over and over again, just like Law.
    I agree it would get annoying, but he's supposed to be a professional. He should just ignore that question just like he did with the other 500 just like it.

I like the fact that in this day and age, these guys are able to interact with fans but he's at work, he should still act like he's in a boardroom even if he's actually lying in bed.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I'd suggest if you don't like his style, that you not read his stuff rather than say he is evil/bad/wrong, or that he should change his style. It's all entertainment, right? That's part of his schtick. You know it is coming. It's like watching a raunchy comedian, and complaining about the swearing, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

You beat me to it. I was just thinking of posting the same type of response. Out of context, Law's response seems what Barreiro would call "jacka--ian". I'm sure at least half of his questions were asking why somebody's favorite team's prospect didn't make the list. If he wants a response, give Law something to work with.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast