Thread: A Bucket of Baseballs vs. One Nick Blackburn Start

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries

A Bucket of Baseballs vs. One Nick Blackburn Start

Which has more value?

There are legends about players traded for a bucket of baseballs or the like. The Twins gave up Luke Hughes for one Nick Blackburn start. Last week the Twins had a few pitchers with sore arms. Nick Blackburn missed a start. Glenn Perkins was on the shelf. They needed a pitcher and Marquis was ready to join the team. They had a few options.

1 - Place Nick Blackburn on the DL. The risk was that he would not be able to start tonight's game. They would lose 1 start from Nick Blackburn. He would be eligible return for the next start.

2 - Outright Luke Hughes - The risk would be losing him to another organization. Last night they couldn't pinch hit for Plouffe because they didn't have a healthy reserve infielder. Plouffe did well in the spot, but they couldn't use Burroughs.

They valued one Nick Blackburn over the value of keeping Luke Hughes in the organization.

What did they get for Luke Hughes?

One start. 3 innings, 8 hits, 5 earned runs, 1 walk and 2 strikeouts. The game isn't over yet but it sure looks like a loss.

A bucket of baseballs would have more value.

It is hard to see the logic in the Twins thinking.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I am totally lost in the world of the twins right now

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogrulz30 View Post
    I am totally lost in the world of the twins right now

It looks like the Twins are lost, too.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    They valued one Nick Blackburn over the value of keeping Luke Hughes in the organization.

Great post. But in truth, it's even worse than that. At the time they made the decision, they didn't even know if Blackburn would make tonight's start. That decision wasn't made until a few days ago, after his "great bullpen" this past weekend. So truth be told, they valued one possible Blackburn start over keeping Hughes.

I don't disagree with the sentiment regarding the Twins decision making process, but if it's any consolation, Hughes was 0-3 with 2 errors in his debut for the A's.

What is more concerning is Ryan's comments before the season that the starting pitching was a strength. This is the guy we think can fix things? I hope we've just had bad luck and it turns around, but I'm not very confident.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Well Blackie's a gutty performer, his guttiness really solidifies this teams cohesive energy. I heard Australians were immune to the Oklahoma gutiltiness that Blackie and Gardy exude to propell this team's extreme gutlitudal solidarity.

Edit: It has been pointed out that guttiness is comparable in spelling to gutlessness, please do not get the two confused and start calling Oklahomans gutless.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 04-24-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    "Blackie is a gamer" " He gets after it" " He will be better next time, there is no doubt about it"

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whydidnt View Post
    I don't disagree with the sentiment regarding the Twins decision making process, but if it's any consolation, Hughes was 0-3 with 2 errors in his debut for the A's.

What is more concerning is Ryan's comments before the season that the starting pitching was a strength. This is the guy we think can fix things? I hope we've just had bad luck and it turns around, but I'm not very confident.
    If you put any value in what the GM says for public consumption, I feel sorry for you.