Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attendance, Season Tickets: St. Peter (via Berardino)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    I'm just fine with the Twins not being the Cubs. I have no problem with attendance being tied directly to the performance on the field, that should keep everyone honest and competitive. Jobs may finally be tied to performance if performance is also tied to attendance.

2. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (02-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Season ticket sales usually reflect the previous year's results, not upcoming expectations. That's what the research says. I expect next year's sales to be below this years, because they are likely, imo, to be under 75 wins again......And, I believe that most fans should stay away if the product is bad, if they sell 3 million tickets, they have little incentive to get better.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 595 Times in 322 Posts
    It's a double edged sword, I get showing your displeasure by not showing up and it's everybody's right to make that choice. However it can become a vicious circle if shrinking revenues begin to hamper the teams ability, or will to become competitive again.

I realize the Pohlads and the Twins have the ability to spend more money but the organization has done a good job potentially setting the team up to be successful on the field in the next 1-2 years. I would think the fan base would support that despite what the results may reflect, knowing that it is headed in the right direction.

Member Single-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I support my Twins. I will be going to the games in San Diego when they come AND $20 on the Twinkies to WIN the World Series this year @ 80-1....yeah LETS GO TWINKIES

6. This user likes rickyriolo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-08-2014)

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    It's a double edged sword, I get showing your displeasure by not showing up and it's everybody's right to make that choice. However it can become a vicious circle if shrinking revenues begin to hamper the teams ability, or will to become competitive again.
    There are a few things in play here:

-There is a set of fans who really are Twins fans and follow the games and go to the games and watch the games because they love baseball and they love the Twins. These folks will be there rain or shine and some of them will likely be at the ballpark more during rain (When I was living in the Cities, I saw more games at the Dome in 1990 than I did in '87 and '91. Reason: Cheaper tickets.)

- There is another group of corporate fans. These folks will get their tickets (and suites) year after year after year.

- There is another group of "experience" fans. For these folks baseball competes with the likes of movies, concerts, amusement parks etc. They go there for the food and the races between innings and the such. These folks will go there as well (and might score some concert tickets too and do the wave too and clap their hands, when the music asks them to do so). Modern stadiums have ensured that.

-The only group that it's attendance is affected by bad performance is the bandwagon fans... How big is that group compared to the previous? I don't know. But I think that lots of these folks are "experience fans" as well...
    Last edited by Thrylos; 02-07-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 190 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's definitely a weather factor too. 5 of their 6 worst attended games last year were in April. Those tickets were sold. Nobody's making that mistake this year, still lots of good tickets for the dang home opener.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/t...opener_tix.jsp

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    The only group that it's attendance is affected by bad performance is the bandwagon fans... How big is that group compared to the previous? I don't know. But I think that lots of these folks are "experience fans" as well...
    I think this is way too overgeneralized to be taken seriously. There are plenty of die-hard baseball fans who just choose to watch on TV over spending serious money on an inferior product. Cable TV has made going to a game a luxury rather than a necessity.

For those of us that going to a game can be an hour or more travel time, that's also a major impact. (The weather angle is a big part of this) I think those living in the cities underestimate how much the out-state fans support the game attendance. And we just don't want to pay and drive all that way to watch a game that's over by the 2nd inning.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    If I lived closer to Target Field, I would be going to as many games as possible no matter how good the team is. I love baseball and I love the Twins. If other people don't want to show up because they think it will help put a better product on the field, I will gladly take their spot.
    I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

11. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-08-2014)

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,246 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    And we just don't want to pay and drive all that way to watch a game that's over by the 2nd inning.
    In 2017 when the Twins start blowing out the opponents these out of towners will not go?

13. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-08-2014)

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    In 2017 when the Twins start blowing out the opponents these out of towners will not go?
    Well...the Summit tastes way better in that scenario...no?

15. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (02-07-2014), twinsnorth49 (02-07-2014)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well...the Summit tastes way better in that scenario...no?
    Everything tastes better in that scenario.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

17. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-08-2014), TheLeviathan (02-08-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Outdoor baseball will never be new again. Remember 2010 was not only a new ballpark, not only the second of back to back division titles, the weather on game days was great from April all the way until the playoffs. In the last two years pretty much everybody from the person that goes to to 3 games a year to season ticket holders has had to put up with bad weather or postponed games. If the forecast opening day is 75 degrees good luck finding face value tickets on the street. If it's 55-60 but the Twins are 4-2 or 5-1 and Sano has 3 HR's good luck getting face value tickets. And of course come a midsummer series against Boston the Yankees or the Brewers these factors get multiplied even more. Don't underestimate the power of a run of 75-80 degree days when the Twins are in town in May will do for overall attendance for the year. I expect to be able to go to a game for $20 or less anytime I want, but I hope by midsummer enough is going right that I am forced to buy directly from the Twins again.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eLee612 View Post
    I guess now is not the time to ask if anyone is interested in sharing season tickets in 3?* Parker, you can make the Pizza face a 40-game occurrence in 2014!

Minn55441 said it right - I / you / 'we' will be there regardless. I might be scalping more than splurging, but I'll be there.

But riddle me this… the Cubs, also 66 and 96 this year, have a season ticket waiting list. They've had one for a long, long time. They've had loosing records consistently for many more years than the Twins (no WS in 105 years), but even comparing just W/L record averages from 2000 to 2013:

Twins: .547
    Cubs: .513

I get that Cubs fans are loyal until death do they part. I don't exactly want to be known as the team that always looses but has damn devoted fans anyways. But when the going gets tough, the indifference of the majority of most Minnesotans [TwinsDaily is of course not a representative sample ] is disheartening.

*True story, if anyone is interested please let me know asap!
    Interesting to note that the Cubs haven't had back to back 90 win seasons since the late 1920s. I won't ever forget my 1st Wrigley Field game on bat day in 1993 with my nephew getting a bat.

Isn't it great the Twins are finally going to Petco! I can't wait, and I'm really hoping a couple of the young guys are up by then. Though it's a bit of a pipe dream, I'd love to see Sano.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    The effect of the newness of Target Field on attendance was going to peak at some point. In comparison to the rest of the league, dome attendance was poor even when the team was winning. There are still plenty of casual fans at Target Field as compared to the dome.
    That the All Star game has not had an effect on ticket sales does not surprise me. If all you were interested in was the AllStar game it would be cheaper to buy scalped tickets than a season ticket package you do not want.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    The effect of the newness of Target Field on attendance was going to peak at some point. In comparison to the rest of the league, dome attendance was poor even when the team was winning. There are still plenty of casual fans at Target Field as compared to the dome.
    That the All Star game has not had an effect on ticket sales does not surprise me. If all you were interested in was the AllStar game it would be cheaper to buy scalped tickets than a season ticket package you do not want.
    Uhh, the peak was going to happen at some point? But that point usually doesn't happen in the First Year Of The New Ballpark! Not following you on your All Star game theory, what was all that ticket hawking going on last year from the MN Twins themselves, plus the TV and Radio guys tied in with the All Star game all about?

2010: 3.224M
    2011: 3.168
    2012: 2.776
    2013: 2.478
    2014: 2.205???*
    * Based on Dave St Peter's probably rosy forecast of an expected 11% decline in Season Ticket Sales...that would be down over 1M+ fans from the true "peak" and some 32% overall. Ouch!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Does anyone have an idea of how much the All-Star ticket strips are gonna cost?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Each strip comes with the following:
    one MLB All-star Program
    Two tickets to fanfest
    One ticket to futures game
    One ticket to Home run Derby
    One ticket to the All-Star game

Dugout Box --------- $991
    HomePlate Box ----- $791
    Diamond Box ------- $711
    Field Box ------------ $651
    Left Field Bleachers $581
    Powerball Pavillion $581
    Overlook ------------ $581
    Legends Club ------- $891
    Skyline Deck -------- $604
    Home Plate Terrace- $536
    Field terrace --------- $486
    Home Plate view --- $486
    Skyline View -------- $401
    Homerun Porch Ter $466
    Homerun Porch view $426
    Grandstand--------- $ 426
    Last edited by minn55441; 02-09-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    Each strip comes with the following:
    one MLB All-star Program
    Two tickets to fanfest
    One ticket to futures game
    One ticket to Home run Derby
    One ticket to the All-Star game

Dugout Box --------- $991
    HomePlate Box ----- $791
    Diamond Box ------- $711
    Field Box ------------ $651
    Left Field Bleachers $581
    Powerball Pavillion $581
    Overlook ------------ $581
    Legends Club ------- $891
    Skyline Deck -------- $604
    Home Plate Terrace- $536
    Field terrace --------- $486
    Home Plate view --- $486
    Skyline View -------- $401
    Homerun Porch Ter $466
    Homerun Porch view $426
    Grandstand--------- $ 426
    It'll be interesting to see what it will cost to get in the futures game in the scalper market. Thats really the only event that I might be willing to pay Ok money to see in person.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    With the advent of cell phones I wondered what will they do with all of those telephone poles? Apparently they use them for selling ASG tickets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast