Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Chuck Knoblauch Elected to Twins Hall of Fame

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    I think it's fantastic news.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

2. This user likes snepp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (01-27-2014)

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am reminded of the concept that he who is without sin should throw the first stone.

Under TD's no insult policy, it is important to be factual. Whatever past problems Knoblauch may have had, there is no evidence that such problems still exist. And after the dome dog incident, I would hope that people can be as classy as possible in this thread.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What did the Yankees sign him for $1.3 million more than he made in his last year with the Twins? Needed a few more years in Minnesota and then could be elected.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    What did the Yankees sign him for $1.3 million more than he made in his last year with the Twins? Needed a few more years in Minnesota and then could be elected.
    If guys like Greg Gagne are in the Twins Hall of Fame, then guys like Chuck Knoblauch deserve to be in there twice.

6. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

thetank (01-28-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm working on a compilation of the best baseball movies of all time. I had not seen "Fear Strikes Out" the story of Jim Piersall and his tumultuous rise through the Red Sox organization. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050383/

The movie is about mental illness. Now, I am not a shrink, and I am not qualified to diagnose Mr. Knoblauch, but he displayed some unique behavior patterns, including the inability to throw the ball to first base, and a reclusive retirement from the sport. Reports of domestic assault and divorce are generally good indicators that the problems on the playing field extended beyond the foul lines.

When the name "Chuck Knoblauch" came up in the Mitchell Report and the use of performance enhancing drugs, all Knobby could say was, "I don't want anything to do with baseball."

All I know is this: the guy has been through hell. Wouldn't it be great if Minnesotans could shower him with cheers, instead of Jeers, Duracells and Dome Dogs? We can do this.

8. These 4 users like Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (01-29-2014), glunn (02-02-2014), North Dakota Twins Fan (02-02-2014), snepp (01-29-2014)

Well deserved. It's time for Twins fans to cheer for Chuck Knoblauch again.
    All you need to know about North Dakota:

Economy is among best in nation because of Oil Boom.
    You can play Blackjack for real money in bars here.
    NDSU Bison good at football.
    University of North Dakota good at Hockey.
    Roger Maris and Phil Jackson (NBA coach) are from here.

10. These 2 users like North Dakota Twins Fan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-02-2014), snepp (02-02-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Knobby was my favorite player growing up. If I were to dig up my old baseball cards, I'm pretty sure there is still several pages in an album full of his cards. I was on a mission at one point to get every rookie card of his ever made. For 1991 alone, he was worth it. I was depressed when asked to be traded, and I still to this day do not understand the dome dog incident. It turns out that he wasn't as classy a guy as I had originally thought, but truth be told, that's probably true of a lot of athletes. In all, he deserves this honor.

I was starstruck when I ran in to Knobby at the old Moore Lake Norwest Racket, Swim and Fitness when I was 10. I was leaving the locker room when I saw Chuck walking in arriving for a workout. I stopped him to wish him luck in the upcoming season and told him how much of a fan of his I was and then I asked for his autograph. Except I had nothing for him to write with or write on. I asked him to wait right there while I ran and got a pen and piece of paper from the coat closet attendant. I ran back and found Chuck in the same spot waiting for me to return. I remember him being very kind and patient. He signed the paper and went on his way but in the process completely made my day and week. I couldn't believe I just got Knobby's autograph! In later years I was disappointed when he asked to be traded and felt even worse when he seemed to falter under the pressure of Yankee stadium and lost the ability to throw from 2nd to 1st. These things don't overshadow his 7 years of outstanding play for the Twins. This is an award Knobby deserves.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Maybe Twins fans can atone for their worst day ever.
    I remember sitting in left field that game. It was a bad combo of a perfect storm with a weekday game, so seats were $3 for local college students, and it was dollar dog night. No matter how bad the Twins were in those days, left field was packed on Wednesdays while college was in session. Add on top of that the stress of it being finals week at the U, and there were a lot of college kids who wanted to let off steam. The groupthink was strong in that whole section that night. I was about 10 rows up close to the pole, and I got hit by a flying beer bottle from the upper deck section (it was a dang good throw even to get it to me, not sure how he thought he'd hit Knoblauch). I can see a lot of things about that night clearly, from the very-scared look that the normally calm Jeter had on his face as he ran toward Knoblauch to tell him to come into the dugout, to Bob Casey's plea to the fans as this was "the championship game of the series", and Tom Kelly coming all the way out to the left field section to plea with fans to calm down. I had no issue the second time things started flying on the field pointing out the offenders to security. I was hit by a baseball, multiple beer bottles, and my white tshirt worn that night became a workout-only shirt due to the mustard and ketchup stains on the back of it. It truly was a shameful day to be a Twins sports fan, and the most embarrassed I've ever been to refer to myself as a baseball fan - even worse than the Braves infield fly reaction, and they're "my team".
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

14. This user likes biggentleben's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (02-03-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    Trading Knoblauch away acquired the pieces the Twins needed to finally break their decade-long losing ways and turn into the team that was a threat all through the 2000s in the AL Central. His trade brought back Eric Milton, Cristian Guzman, Brian Buchanan, and Danny Mota.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12