Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Chuck Knoblauch Elected to Twins Hall of Fame

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Chuck Knoblauch to be Inducted into Twins Hall of Fame

2. These 2 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (01-28-2014), North Dakota Twins Fan (02-02-2014)

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Chuck Knoblauch Elected to Twins Hall of Fame

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
    Maybe Twins fans can atone for their worst day ever.

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chuck Knoblauch was one of my favorite Twins growing up. I remember when my sister and I were on a train from New York to Boston when he was playing for the Yankees. We started talking to this guy from New York and when I mentioned I was a baseball fan from Minnesota he said, "I just have one question- what the heck happened to Chuck Knoblauch?" It will be interesting to see if he shows up in August...

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I was at that game and it was embarassing. Still, who wastes a Domedog?

I would be equally embarassed if Twins fans boo Knoblauch at this ceremony. He's a wife beating tax fraud but I'm guessing Bremer won't mention that at his induction. If you don't like Knoblauch (who does) I hope people simply abstain from showing much emotion.
    Hmm... I seem to recall some allegations of sexual assault against a certain Mr. Puckett.

I'm not saying Knobby is a saint, but his reputation in this town has been unfairly trashed.

Did anyone happen to buy a few DomeDogs at the last football game or auction and save them? I'd pay for them

Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Hmm... I seem to recall some allegations of sexual assault against a certain Mr. Puckett.

I'm not saying Knobby is a saint, but his reputation in this town has been unfairly trashed.
    Yes, Knoblauch may have made some rather poor decisions in his life after leaving the Twins, but his election to the Twins HOF is long overdue. He is easily the best second baseman the Twins have had since Carew and produced some legendary seasons (as noted by Parker), in addition to being a key member of the 1991 World Series team. The Twins of the last few years and 2014 desperately need a player of his caliber and intensity.

I was glad to hear he is planning on attending the ceremony as he has not participated in other ceremonies, such as the all Metrodome team and 50 best Twins team. Perhaps he has overcome his previous issues, so please stop with the dome dog references as we all remember that.

9. This user likes puckett1992's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (01-27-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    About time. There would be no 1991 without him.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

11. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (01-27-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am glad to read that Knoblauch is back in the mind's of Twins fans. I did some research on his rapid decline as a baseball player and it seemed linked to his father's dementia. After the game he has seemed to retreat into his shell, wanting nothing to do with MLB which is his prerogative, of course. I looked at a picture of him from a couple of years back and he looks much worse for wear than his age would indicate. Let's hope a little fan recognition from the Twins will bring him back to life a little bit. I know this contains a lot of speculation, and I apologize for that.

13. These 3 users like ScrapTheNickname's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Longdistancetwins (01-24-2014), snepp (01-27-2014), Thrylos (01-25-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 748 Times in 392 Posts
    Reminds me of the sad tale of Jeff Reardon. It sounds like Knoblauch has said he's looking forward to attending the ceremony, so maybe the relationship can be salvaged.

This article notes Rod Carew's 1977 season as the best for a Twin second baseman. Rod's last season at 2B was 1975, and by '77 was fully ensconced at 1B. He played very little at second in 1977, and if that qualifies, then maybe we need to look at Puckett's best year as a second baseman.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    This is long overdue. He was a favorite of mine growing up and a hell of a player. I was upset when he left but I never blamed him. He was a great player on a terrible team. Who wouldn't want to leave? And yes he was kind of a tool, yes he went to the Yankees, but seriously...the fans who are still holding a grudge need to get over it. There are hundreds of comments on the Twins facebook page from people furious over his election. It's embarrassing.

17. This user likes Ben B's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (01-27-2014)

This guy was a great baseball player. Remember when he faked catching a relay to hold Lonnie Smith? What a heady play for what a first year player? 4 world titles, the guy should be happy. Sometimes we can't get out of our own way. Surprising that he could play the game with such moxie but show so little in other areas.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This article notes Rod Carew's 1977 season as the best for a Twin second baseman.
    No, it does not indicate that Carew's 1977 season was the best for a Twins' second baseman. It was the best season for a Twins player PERIOD.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Having also been at that game, I would be too embarrassed to show my face in the same place as him. Could I look him in the eye today??? No way. That had to have been one of the worst moments ever for MN sports. It's just hard to think of him as a Twin anymore.

I actually watched Game 7 of the 91 Series on youtube the other day (sloooooww tuesday!) and must admit that he was a heck of a player in those days. Twins Hall??? Hard to take anyone from the mid to late 90's for me, other than Radke.

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It will be interesting to see if he shows up and what he says. I heard on Saturday Morning Sports Talk today that he was surprised, grateful, and plans to attend. There is a recent interview with him about how he wants nothing to do with his baseball days and has everything stores in a separate apartment he doesn't visit, and seemed quite happy distancing himself from baseball.

I have fond memories of watching him play, but his personal life is negative and strange to say the least. Fan reaction might be interesting too, although I'm not sure how much of Target Field's crowd remember him.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    No, it does not indicate that Carew's 1977 season was the best for a Twins' second baseman. It was the best season for a Twins player PERIOD.
    Depends how you are counting, and for position players only; arguably some pitchers had better seasons, but it is hard to compare
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Depends how you are counting, and for position players only; arguably some pitchers had better seasons, but it is hard to compare
    His 1996 season in which he posted 8.6 wins above replacement (via baseball-reference.com) still stands as the Twins' second best season as measured by that statistic (Rod Carew's 1977 season was the highest).

Seems pretty clear- 2nd highest WAR season in Twins history.
    There are a lot of ways to measure a successful season. WAR is one.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PopRiveter View Post
    His 1996 season in which he posted 8.6 wins above replacement (via baseball-reference.com) still stands as the Twins' second best season as measured by that statistic (Rod Carew's 1977 season was the highest).

Seems pretty clear- 2nd highest WAR season in Twins history.
    There are a lot of ways to measure a successful season. WAR is one.
    single season bWAR:

Blyleven 1973: 9.9
    Carew 1977: 9.7

(Franchise highest: Walter Johnson 1913: 16; and Johnson had 8 seasons of bWAR highest than 10)

fWAR:

1973 Blyleven 11.2
    1977 Carew 8.6

(Johnson 1910: 10.0, 1912: 9.6, 1916: 9.2, 1915: 8.8)

Thus, the depends who you include and how you measure comment...
    -----

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    A great Twins player with some serious personality defects. (anyone else remember his "take a lot of drugs" interview? Great advice, Chuck!) But his record on the field with the Twins makes this a well-deserved honor, despite the baggage.

Hopefully he's getting his life together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast