Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Free Agent?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTwinky View Post
    I just can't see the Twins sacrificing any draft picks in such a deep draft. This is a whole lot of nothing. It always is with Terry Ryan.
    Except for that one time when he went out and signed $80m+ worth of pitchers.

Also called "two months ago".

2. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-24-2014), James (01-24-2014), pierre75275 (01-24-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just cannot see arroyo... just can't. Cannot really see Garza here either unless there's a trade lined up for KC... got to be a bat.. Most likely Drew, and if everyone is out on him, he might come cheap enough where Ryan's going to look like a genius... though if he comes cheap, I wouldn't be surprised if Drew wants a short term deal.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Weren't the Twins already linked to Drew?
    Were they? I remember hearing some speculation based on us not having an established SS, but I don't recall them being linked.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    though if he comes cheap, I wouldn't be surprised if Drew wants a short term deal.
    Win win win all around if that's the case.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 278 Posts
    A 162 game mentality? What does that even mean?
    I should have said, Michael Young could help bring back a 162-game mentality, because the Twins recently had some fun, strong playoff drives (like 2009).

But the new normal is a .317 W% in September the last three years. Pro-rating to a 51-111 record which just feeds the negative sentiment, which I am occasionally guilty of.

They've also made a habit of a embarking on a horrendous losing streak every April or May, followed by the trade deadline surge (are we buyers or sellers!?), and then the inevitable collapse.

Terry Ryan promised that wouldn't happen anymore. So I'd rather have him sign Michael Young, who is new blood and has a reputation for playing hard and every day. Young at third and move Plouffe to the RF platoon works for me.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It means that should there be a game 163 tiebreaker, Michael Young will Jeffrey Dahmer the opposing team in their hotel rooms.
    anything that helps win a ballgame, I'm in favor of

"Circling back" = call Tanaka one more time:

"That 7/$155m still sitting OK with you? Gimme a call if you want another crack at 5/$65m. The midwest is a great place to play."

EDIT: It's Johan and/or Pavano. They won't touch the draft picks and there's not much else out there at this point.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    I should have said, Michael Young could help bring back a 162-game mentality, because the Twins recently had some fun, strong playoff drives (like 2009).

But the new normal is a .317 W% in September the last three years. Pro-rating to a 51-111 record which just feeds the negative sentiment, which I am occasionally guilty of.

They've also made a habit of a embarking on a horrendous losing streak every April or May, followed by the trade deadline surge (are we buyers or sellers!?), and then the inevitable collapse.

Terry Ryan promised that wouldn't happen anymore. So I'd rather have him sign Michael Young, who is new blood and has a reputation for playing hard and every day. Young at third and move Plouffe to the RF platoon works for me.
    The Twins record has been awful in Sept the last three years because they are often using those games to "See what they have" with all the Sept call ups.

The reason they haven't been winning games isn't because they don't have any "winning attitudes" or whatever on the club, it's because they just haven't been talented at all.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    No, it's Drew's awful splits against lefties. He needs to be a platoon player
    Drew's Career vs. lefties: .235/.291/.390 (.681 OPS)
    Florimon's Career: .219/.278/.323 (.601 OPS)
    Escobar's Career: .228/.280/.307 (.587 OPS)

So, if Drew is a platoon player, then the other two options should never even be playing.

a guy who hasn't played 130 games in four years
    He actually played in 151 games four years ago. The three years before that: 135, 152 and 150. The only reason it's even three years is that his ankle injury happened halfway through the season, causing him to miss half of each season. He also just missed hitting 130 games this past season due to getting hit in the head by a pitch.

J.J. Hardy also had a horrific ankle injury from a play at the plate. He was also tagged with the word injury prone due to that ankle injury along with wrist and oblique issues. Two years later he's the model of consistency at the SS position.

I'd rather look at the 6+ years of good health, than assume someone is injury prone due to a couple of flukey injuries.

puts up .196/.246/.340 against lefties
    If you're going to use a one year sample, at least mention that he hit like Robinson Cano against right handed pitching (.284/.377/.498). You know, the pitchers that throw 70-75% of the time.

And by the way, that slash line against lefties is still significantly better than .180/.229/.230. Which is what he'd be replacing.

11. These 2 users like JP3700's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

pierre75275 (01-24-2014), USAFChief (01-24-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Except for that one time when he went out and signed $80m+ worth of pitchers.

Also called "two months ago".
    only time will tell if it was for Pitchers .....

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    only time will tell if it was for Pitchers .....

No, I think it's pretty safe to say they're pitchers right now.

14. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-24-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post

No, I think it's pretty safe to say they're pitchers right now.
    But, but...

7493490.jpg

16. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (01-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    Drew's Career vs. lefties: .235/.291/.390 (.681 OPS)
    Florimon's Career: .219/.278/.323 (.601 OPS)
    Escobar's Career: .228/.280/.307 (.587 OPS)

So, if Drew is a platoon player, then the other two options should never even be playing. .
    You realize you are then arguing that Drew isn't a platoon type of player simply because of the Twins incompetence at developing middle infielders? With that arguement, then Samuel Deduno is an ace because he was the Twins best starter last year.

He actually played in 151 games four years ago. The three years before that: 135, 152 and 150. The only reason it's even three years is that his ankle injury happened halfway through the season, causing him to miss half of each season. He also just missed hitting 130 games this past season due to getting hit in the head by a pitch.

J.J. Hardy also had a horrific ankle injury from a play at the plate. He was also tagged with the word injury prone due to that ankle injury along with wrist and oblique issues. Two years later he's the model of consistency at the SS position.

I'd rather look at the 6+ years of good health, than assume someone is injury prone due to a couple of flukey injuries..
    I'd rather look at the last three years to make a judgment than I would 2010 and before. Recent trends are obviously more likely to continue than trends that happened last decade.

If you're going to use a one year sample, at least mention that he hit like Robinson Cano against right handed pitching (.284/.377/.498). You know, the pitchers that throw 70-75% of the time.

And by the way, that slash line against lefties is still significantly better than .180/.229/.230. Which is what he'd be replacing.
    If you insist, I will use more than his 2013 splits. Here is his vs. lefty slash from 2012: .198/.260/.302. Trend, not outlier.

He does hit righties well (at hitter friendly Fenway Park: road splits .222/.295/.392), but if we're generous and assume he will be able to play 130 games, we're still looking at less than 100 games where he will A) be healthy enough to play, and B) be hitting against right-handed pitchers. Why would Ryan want to be on the hook for multiple years at $10 million for that kind of player?
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-24-2014 at 03:39 PM.

18. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (01-25-2014)

.681 OPS against LHP isnt fantastic, but it doesn't scream "You need a platoon partner for him"

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,184 Times in 631 Posts
    But, but...

7493490.jpg
    So you're saying he can DH on his off days?......well, who needs another bat then?! Winner!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    .681 OPS against LHP isnt fantastic, but it doesn't scream "You need a platoon partner for him"
    He hasn't had a .681 OPS against lefties since 2010. He's declining and fast. His production vs lefties has fallen off the cliff the last two years, he can't stay healthy and his K% has jumped from the teens to 23% and 24% the last two years.

If this wasn't a well known SS, which the Twins desperately need, I think almost all of us would be yelling to stay away. He's not at the beginning of his decline phase, he's well on his way to the bottom. His vs. RHP production at Fenway Park is masking huge indicators that this guy is almost through in this league. I'd bet good money this will be the last MLB contract offered to Drew, it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    He hasn't had a .681 OPS against lefties since 2010. He's declining and fast. His production vs lefties has fallen off the cliff the last two years, he can't stay healthy and his K% has jumped from the teens to 23% and 24% the last two years.

If this wasn't a well known SS, which the Twins desperately need, I think almost all of us would be yelling to stay away. He's not at the beginning of his decline phase, he's well on his way to the bottom. His vs. RHP production at Fenway Park is masking huge indicators that this guy is almost through in this league. I'd bet good money this will be the last MLB contract offered to Drew, it's over.
    You talk about him falling off a cliff, yet he puts up a very nice 111 OPS+ last season. Additionally, if you look further into his struggles against LHP in 2013, you will notice that he hit .682 against LHP who were starters, where did his numbers tank? He went 1 for 32 against non LHP starters, which points to: He struggles against "tough" lefties, simple enough, sit him against those "tough" lefties or PH for him if needed,he is still capable to start and hit against the non "tough" ones.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Or, they can play even worse players, even if Drew does decline. How does that help the team, other than having a better pick in 2015?
    Lighten up Francis....

It also doesn't scream "come pay me 50M for the next four years"

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ok with Drew. That said, there is a little bit too much adoration for his game going on around here in my opinion.

25. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (01-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Or, they can play even worse players, even if Drew does decline. How does that help the team, other than having a better pick in 2015?
    How does 12M on the 2016 team for a long-declined, no longer startable shortstop help the team?

Not every long-term problem NEEDS to be solved by April. Now if you can get him for two years? Hey, I'm in, pony up.

27. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (01-25-2014)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast