Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB.com's Top 50 Prospects Show

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts

MLB.com's Top 50 Prospects Show

Tonight at 9 central the MLB Network will be unveiling MLB.com's top 50 prospects for 2014. I know Mayo hosted it last year, since then they added Jim Callis, so I'm not sure if just one or both will be on. Jim Callis mentioned on twitter that prospects will be live tweeting during the show. Buxton will be one but who knows where everyone else will fall!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll be watching as well.

I was thinking it was going to be the top 100 though...

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I'll be watching as well.

I was thinking it was going to be the top 100 though...
    The show will only be going over the top 50 but the top 100 list will be released after the show.

I'm hoping to see 4 twins in the top 50.

4. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (01-23-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article//mlb...nt_id=66929504

Only Berrios in 50-100 at 90.

Just tuned in to see Stewart at 40.

Blog Entries
    Wow...Kohl Stewart at #40?!

Only 19 years old...

Maybe MLB has more faith in the Twins staff than most...wouldn't think it's just on what Stewart showed last year...

Blog Entries
    Wow...only Berrios in 50-100.

That means...Meyer, Stewart, Sano, and Buxton...does Rosario make the top 40 then too?

Doubt it.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Meyer @ 28. Rosario missed the cut. Didn't he make it last year?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Meyer @ 28. Rosario missed the cut. Didn't he make it last year?
    Yeah...and he ended up #63 at the year end.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/

unless he is in top 3?

11. This user likes Twins Twerp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (01-23-2014)

I know who Jim Callis and John Mayo are, very good, reputable prospect writers. Who is the guy on the right and does he have the intel to be with the other two? This is WAY better than watching the joke the MLB draft has become on MLBNetwork.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    1 Buxton
    4 Sano
    28 Meyers
    40 Stewart
    90 Berrios

Blog Entries
    Paraphrasing Callis...

When it's all said and done, concerning this class, Buxton might be the best defender, have the best arm, be the best base stealer, have the best bat, and his weakest tool? Power, he might hit more than 25+ hr per season.

Unreal.

It sure is nice to see all the Twins on this list. A couple years back we didn't have much. The Cubs and Boston sure have a lot in the top 100. I'm suprised that I don't hear people saying they have the best farm systems. Pretty scary when you think of how could Boston now. I'm sure the Cubbies will find a way to screw up though.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rosario probably did not make it because of the 50 game suspension. I would guess there are several Twins between 100-150, but the 101-200 list would be interesting to see. Should have seen this coming for Rosario when he was only ranked the 8th best 2nd Baseman. Still Twins have several pitchers who probably are going to be ranked at the end of this year. Should be interesting

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Wow...Kohl Stewart at #40?!

Only 19 years old...

Maybe MLB has more faith in the Twins staff than most...wouldn't think it's just on what Stewart showed last year...
    Normally the top 10-15 picks in any draft make the top 100 lists the following year due to talent alone. Stewart is a beast. His overall skill set is truly insane for a HS kid.

Senior Member All-Star
    Callis was asked via Twitter to rank the past #1 prospects of the last 4 years and he ranked them Buxton, Trout, Moore, Profar. That DOES NOT mean he thinks Buxton will be a better player than Trout. Trout is the best 20-22 year old MLB player ever. Just a better prospect when looking back. Pretty nice compliment.

19. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (01-24-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dgwills View Post
    It sure is nice to see all the Twins on this list. A couple years back we didn't have much. The Cubs and Boston sure have a lot in the top 100. I'm suprised that I don't hear people saying they have the best farm systems. Pretty scary when you think of how could Boston now. I'm sure the Cubbies will find a way to screw up though.
    And maybe the Astros, too. I'm surprised that the Cardinals aren't in the Top Ten MLB.com list of clubs (see below), and I'm stunned that the Red Sox and Dodgers ARE in this list***

***(or maybe not, I guess building a farm system doesn't require losing for 20 years like the Pirates and Royals, after all).

What a difference from the Baseball Prospectus Top 101 which showed 8 Twins on their list. Is the Twins farm system really #1 as so many claim? And as much as I like Berrios thus far, how does a guy who projects as a likely RP have more "projectbility" than other guys in the system (Thorpe, Gonsalves, et al)?

We had a 5-man Wave in 2013 with mixed results (Hicks, Arcia, Pinto, Tonkin, Gibson). The 2014 "2nd Wave" of 5, should crest noticeably higher as it could finally begin featuring some of the elite guys: Sano, Meyer, Buxton?? (Rosario, May). If the season goes as expected, with 70-74 wins, I would hope that the roster is cleared out via trade and DFA so that these 5 join the Twins between June 1 and September 1.

After that, though, the arrival time of the "Third Wave" is highly problematic: Stewart, Berrios, 2014 1st Rd. Pick, (Santana, Walker, Polanco, Kepler, Thorpe, Gonsalves, Vargas). And since there is a study out there that shows that only 1 out of 4 legit pitching prospects become effective major leaguers.....It sure seems there's still a lot of work to do (and surplus $$$ employed for additional better players acquired- through FA, International and new-found willingness in taking on unexpired contracts).

Prospect points

Teams Players in
    Top 100
    Pts.
    Astros 7 439
    Red Sox 9 436
    Cubs 7 393
    Pirates 6 364
    Twins 5 342
    Royals 4 215
    Dodgers 4 207
    Mets 3 185
    Orioles 3 184
    Rockies 4 179
    Last edited by jokin; 01-24-2014 at 04:23 AM.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Huh the Twins are 5th? funny deal

Wouldn't mind knowing how the prospect points break down based on BP's top 100 (Twins have 8 in theirs that were generally ranked higher as well, so I'm assuming the system would be ranked higher than 5th), and which has a better track record for graduating MLB talent over the last several years. This may be out there somewhere already, if not, somebody probably has some down time at work tomorrow, right?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you'd like to see the ceiling for Buxton praise, check out Callis' Twitter feed from last night. After lasting for what seemed like more tham four hours of excitement over Buck, I bet Callis had to be seen by a doctor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast