Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 103

Thread: Article: Brewers sign Garza to deal similar to Twins' Nolasco

  1. #21
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I can't get over this price. It really makes me wonder what Garza's medical reports look like because I can't fathom how a 30 year old pitcher of his quality only gets 4/$52m in this market.
    I had him pegged in the 16-17 million dollar range

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,612
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    I can't believe the rangers wouldn't match that contract either (or a ton of other teams for that matter....)

  3. #23
    Im not sure I would like Garza over Nolasco at these numbers. Given I have a personal bias for Ricky being one of my favorite players, and always being annoyed by Garza's attitude. Even with that aside, Garza had a horrendous second half last year and has a glaring history of injury. Nolasco is basically the opposite. Am I way off here?

  4. #24
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,755
    Like
    132
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    One wonders how cheaply Santana and Jimenez can be had given the addition of the draft pick a team has to give up. Good deal for the Brewers; would have been nice for the Twins to have nabbed him.

  5. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Otwins (01-23-2014)

  6. #25
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    150
    Like
    14
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I wonder what this does to the Jimenez and E Santana market. Does that lower their value to the Kyle Loshe range? Give or take?

  7. #26
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Anyone who would argue the Twins should have waited things out to get Garza instead of Nolasco is being a little bit delusional, I think.

    Can you imagine the crap that would be raining down on the Twins FO by now if they hadn't done anything but sign Hughes and Pelfrey by now? You know Nolasco would have signed elsewhere by now if the Twins hadn't signed him and you certainly can not assume they'd have ended up with Garza anyway. More likely, they'd have ended up with neither pitcher.

    Brock's right, when you absolutely need pitching, you target the guys you want and pay what you believe is a fair price to sign them as soon as you can get them. Twins played this hand correctly and, honestly, four years from now, given the two guys' respective health histories, I think odds are pretty good that we'll look back and see Nolasco was the better choice.
    Last edited by Jim Crikket; 01-23-2014 at 01:47 PM.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  8. These 3 users like Jim Crikket's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    minn55441 (01-23-2014), Trautmann13 (01-23-2014), twinsnorth49 (01-23-2014)

  9. #27
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,612
    Like
    36
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I wonder what this does to the Jimenez and E Santana market. Does that lower their value to the Kyle Loshe range? Give or take?
    Hopefully, and it would be a good time for the twins to strike, when they only have to give up a 2nd rounder

  10. #28
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Sorry wrong thread, but someone was asking about the Twins spring training telecasts,the Trib says they will broadcast every home game this year

  11. #29
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    772
    Like
    344
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    On the surface this looks to be a high-quality decision by the Brewers. Sounds like a steal. We'll probably never know if the Twins were presented with and rejected a similar offer. I think it's fair to say that in any event it was wise to pull the trigger on Nolasco and Hughes when the opportunity presented itself.

  12. #30
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,069
    Like
    97
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I think odds are pretty good that we'll look back and see Nolasco was the better choice.
    I don't think they're very good at all. Odds are that this deal looks fantastic, so I doubt Nolasco's odds look better.

    That doesn't mean, however, that the Twins weren't right to be aggressive. It was just hard to foresee something like this.

  13. #31
    Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Posts
    995
    Like
    1
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200

    Article: Brewers sign Garza to deal similar to Twins' Nolasco

    @OverTheBaggy

  14. #32
    Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Posts
    1,093
    Like
    15
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I don't think they're very good at all. Odds are that this deal looks fantastic, so I doubt Nolasco's odds look better.

    That doesn't mean, however, that the Twins weren't right to be aggressive. It was just hard to foresee something like this.
    If Garza stays healthy all 4 years, yes, it will look fantastic. I just don't see that as a given. And if Garza misses something close to a year's worth of starts over the length of the contract, then Milw gets essentially 3 years for their $52 mil AND they have to fill a hole in their rotation that he's left during the time he's on the shelf.

    I know it's silly to argue this stuff now when none of us will know the truth for 4 years and yes, I'd have liked to have Garza at that price. I just think Nolasco's reliability is as likely to be a difference maker as any comparative preference we might think Garza has talent-wise.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

    ~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

  15. #33
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I don't think they're very good at all. Odds are that this deal looks fantastic, so I doubt Nolasco's odds look better.

    That doesn't mean, however, that the Twins weren't right to be aggressive. It was just hard to foresee something like this.
    Eh, hard to say. Garza hasn't been durable the past two years while Nolasco has been durable over the past three seasons.

    Of course, past injuries don't automatically mean future injuries will occur and all that but at the end of the day, I think Nolasco has a decent shot of being the better signing. Not 50/50 by any means but the two pitchers just aren't that far apart in talent/age/stuff when you get right down to it. Garza has an advantage in stuff (but really, his stuff hasn't been great the past two seasons) but Nolasco might have the edge in durability, as much as one can predict such a thing.

  16. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (01-23-2014)

  17. #34
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,069
    Like
    97
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I know it's silly to argue this stuff now when none of us will know the truth for 4 years and yes, I'd have liked to have Garza at that price. I just think Nolasco's reliability is as likely to be a difference maker as any comparative preference we might think Garza has talent-wise.
    I would suggest that if reliability was as important as talent, it would reflect in contracts, but it doesn't. There is plenty that could go wrong both ways, but right now the odds are that this is a much better deal. It's just crazy to expect the Twins to have known quality #2 starters are out there for 50M.

  18. #35
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    846
    Like
    9
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    If I could pick, I'd take the Garza deal by a hair. It'll be interesting to see which ends up being a better value in the end, but I'm not sure it really matters given the timing situation that others have pointed out. Same offseason, different situation.

  19. #36
    Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,069
    Like
    97
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Eh, hard to say. Garza hasn't been durable the past two years while Nolasco has been durable over the past three seasons.

    Of course, past injuries don't automatically mean future injuries will occur and all that but at the end of the day, I think Nolasco has a decent shot of being the better signing. Not 50/50 by any means but the two pitchers just aren't that far apart in talent/age/stuff when you get right down to it. Garza has an advantage in stuff (but really, his stuff hasn't been great the past two seasons) but Nolasco might have the edge in durability, as much as one can predict such a thing.
    Nolasco has been a league average starter his entire career despite pitching most of it in a pitcher's wet dream. And now he's coming over to the place NL pitchers come to die.

    Durability is great, but it's not substitute for talent. If it was, we'd all love Correia a lot more than we do.

  20. #37
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    846
    Like
    9
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'm also relieved to see the response to this so far -- rational and comprehensive of context. I was afraid it'd be more of the smash fest we see going on in other threads. Maybe those folks just aren't here yet though...

  21. #38
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Nolasco has been a league average starter his entire career despite pitching most of it in a pitcher's wet dream. And now he's coming over to the place NL pitchers come to die.

    Durability is great, but it's not substitute for talent. If it was, we'd all love Correia a lot more than we do.
    Fair enough... I guess it all comes down to whether 2014-2017 Nolasco looks more like 2013 Nolasco (league average despite being rather unlucky) or 2010-2012 Nolasco (not a very good pitcher).

    Did he figure something out? Did he just hate Miami? Was 2013 a lucky aberration, despite his peripherals suggesting he was better than his numbers? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

  22. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (01-23-2014)

  23. #39
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I'm also relieved to see the response to this so far -- rational and comprehensive of context. I was afraid it'd be more of the smash fest we see going on in other threads. Maybe those folks just aren't here yet though...
    Im here
    hehehe

  24. #40
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,146
    Like
    62
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Combining threads eat posts.

    Back to subject.

    I believe the Twins always planned to re-sign Pelfrey--it was just a tweak of the price that held things up. The approved budget probably didn't include enough to sign Nolasco and Garza plus that necessary for arbitration settlements, and a veteran catcher--but there was enough to sign Hughes and one of either Garza/Nolasco. Nolasco took the deal and Garza didn't.

    On a curious note, why is it that Milwaukee has become the collection basin for free agent pitchers with issues ​(Lohse and Garza)?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.