Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Brayan Villareal DFAd

  1. #21
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Again, meh. His overall ML numbers have him as a 4.59 ERA guy, and in 3 seasons in AAA his ERA was 3.91 and his k:bb ratio was pretty....bad. Nothing he has done in either AAA or MLB indicates he isn't going to walk a ton of guys, sure I guess it can't hurt to sign him and stash him in the minors or whatever, but I think the Twins prob would be better served giving playing time to a youngster with upside if/when Burton/Fien etc etc falter.
    Well as long as we have a plan A,B,C,and D....Just dont want to get caught with our pants down again this year

  2. #22
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    107
    Like
    50
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Meh, color me unimpressed with his numbers than a somewhat fluky looking 2012. I'm not sure who I would prefer he replace in the current pen, which is stacked, nor would I want him taking a spot from a guy like DeDuno/Diamond who potentially could be stashed and counted on starting down the road.
    Stacked bullpen?? The Twins bullpen is basically league average. I think there is a misconception they are "stacked" because the starting pitching has been historically awful, their defense is atrocious, and they have a Bottom 5 offense.


    The real answer to the question of who Villareal could replace is anyone except Perkins.

  3. These 2 users like savvyspy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (01-23-2014), jokin (01-23-2014)

  4. #23
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,892
    Like
    74
    Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Well as long as we have a plan A,B,C,and D....Just dont want to get caught with our pants down again this year
    They have guys like Jones, Tonkin etc who I think deserve a chance prior to Villareal, additionally I think you have to have one spot open for Diamond/DeDuno etc as well to at least start the season.

    If you can stash him in the minors, then no harm no foul, but I don't think they need to give a guy like him a spot in the rotation.

    Right now the way I see the pen-
    1. Perkins
    2. Burton
    3. Fien
    4. Duesing
    5. Swarzak
    6. Diamond/DeDuno/Worley
    7. Theilbar

    IMO are all locks due to either success: Burton/Perkins/Theilbar/Fien/Swarzak or contract/need for roster space: Duensing/Diamond etc

    After that you have to imagine Tonkin has to be the next in line (if he doesn't crack the pen out of ST), followed by Jones and possibly even Dakota Watts. Additionally, I think the Twins need to go down to a 6 man pen at some point as well, especially once Sano and some of the other youngsters force their way onto the roster.

  5. #24
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,613
    Like
    1,117
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    I'd much rather have Tonkin, but that's because I believe he's a better pitcher than Fien, and he's younger, and it is time to build for the future.....as for the guy who is available, if he'll sign a minor league deal, what is the downside? Rolling the dice is what a team that won't sign the most expensive FAs needs to do.
    Lighten up Francis....

  6. #25
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,892
    Like
    74
    Liked 355 Times in 178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'd much rather have Tonkin, but that's because I believe he's a better pitcher than Fien, and he's younger, and it is time to build for the future.....as for the guy who is available, if he'll sign a minor league deal, what is the downside? Rolling the dice is what a team that won't sign the most expensive FAs needs to do.
    Not sure why people would want to get rid of Fien, who had a 10.2/1.5 k/BB ratio last year....which is fantastic and a whip of 1.016. He just had an unlucky year with a low strand rate, his xFIP clocked in at 2.71 which is damn nice for a RP

  7. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    johnnydakota (01-23-2014)

  8. #26
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,613
    Like
    1,117
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    for me? It is about using your assets the best possible. A team that keeps their budget in check should not be spending hardly any money on the bullpen. And, Tonkin is cheaper and younger. But really, it is a nit. My post was more about rolling the dice, and I should have started with that part.
    Lighten up Francis....

  9. #27
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,531
    Like
    60
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    The Twins currently do have some good pieces in the pen, which is all the more reason to flip some of them for non-40 man prospects.

  10. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (01-23-2014), mike wants wins (01-23-2014)

  11. #28
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Again, meh. His overall ML numbers have him as a 4.59 ERA guy, and in 3 seasons in AAA his ERA was 3.91 and his k:bb ratio was pretty....bad. Nothing he has done in either AAA or MLB indicates he isn't going to walk a ton of guys, sure I guess it can't hurt to sign him and stash him in the minors or whatever, but I think the Twins prob would be better served giving playing time to a youngster with upside if/when Burton/Fien etc etc falter.

    Gee 4.59 career ERA is about the same as Hughes and Pelfrey right?
    I understand we want a better option, but if there isint any , why not do like we did last year with a couple pitcher who didnt make it out of the minors, I already forgot the starters name , but the lefty perez, was the other.To me there is not a problem dumpster diving , as long as it isnt the only avenue of getting players

  12. #29
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Not sure why people would want to get rid of Fien, who had a 10.2/1.5 k/BB ratio last year....which is fantastic and a whip of 1.016. He just had an unlucky year with a low strand rate, his xFIP clocked in at 2.71 which is damn nice for a RP
    I didnt say get rid of Fien, but last year we saw them both struggle at times(Burton and Fien), and if we can find a couple of relievers who are just as good and cheaper, then we have tradable assets,Right?
    to me this offense is not good, and the defense is just as bad in some areas, and we could use a Garza type starter, so like last year why not trade from our strength?

  13. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (01-23-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.