Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Shock (Sarcasm): Tanaka to Yankees

Liked 1,168 Times in 685 Posts

Big Shock (Sarcasm): Tanaka to Yankees

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Wow, a 7-year contract at what amounts to $25 million/year!

That is quite a bit more risky that I am comfortable with, and am glad the Twins didn't take that gamble.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 46 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The good news is the free agent market should come to life again. Garza, Santana and company will finally find homes - and there will be actual baseball news stories to read again!

4. These 2 users like iTwins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (01-22-2014), cmathewson (01-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 237 Times in 171 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Wow, a 7-year contract at what amounts to $25 million/year!

That is quite a bit more risky that I am comfortable with, and am glad the Twins didn't take that gamble.
    This is the same deal Felix Hernandez received when you add in the $20M post fee, I think only Verlander and Kershaw make more. For a guy that has never pitched here and who scouts say does not compare to Darvish

Felix Hernandez has a career 3.20 in 9 seasons. 3 seasons with an ERA under 2.67. 8.4 K per 9.

The other thing that hasn't been talked about, Yu Darvish's success here certainly made this guy more attractive, but Yu has only been here two years. Nomo and Dice-K had two very good years as well.

Nomo first two years 2.90 ERA, he ended at 4.24
    Dice-K first two years 3.73 ERA, he ended at 4.52
    Yu's first two years, 3.34 ERA, he ended at ?????

We should be applauding this. I think this guys opt out may be laughable in four years.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 01-22-2014 at 09:13 AM.

6. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (01-22-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    whoda thunk it ?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    It's just money. Some teams spend it to win. Others, not so much. Anyone still think Ellsbury's contract will keep them from adding players?
    Lighten up Francis....

9. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-22-2014), notoriousgod71 (01-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 307 Times in 149 Posts
    Twins were in on him until it went over 2 years @ 8 mill. Terry just couldn't get him to take his money!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

11. These 5 users like Winston Smith's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (01-22-2014), johnnydakota (01-22-2014), notoriousgod71 (01-22-2014), rikker49 (01-22-2014), Willihammer (01-22-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    This is the same deal Felix Hernandez received when you add in the $20M post fee, I think only Verlander and Kershaw make more. For a guy that has never pitched here and who scouts say does not compare to Darvish

Felix Hernandez has a career 3.20 in 9 seasons. 3 seasons with an ERA under 2.67. 8.4 K per 9.

The other thing that hasn't been talked about, Yu Darvish's success here certainly made this guy more attractive, but Yu has only been here two years. Nomo and Dice-K had two very good years as well.

Nomo first two years 2.90 ERA, he ended at 4.24
    Dice-K first two years 3.73 ERA, he ended at 4.52
    Yu's first two years, 3.34 ERA, he ended at ?????

We should be applauding this. I think this guys opt out may be laughable in four years.

If you have a billion a year in tv revenue, what does the money matter? They just showed the $189MM number has no meaning. So, they bought a number 2-4 pitcher. I don't get how that is bad/wrong/evil for them. I bet they go sign another pitcher now too. They have money, they had an open position, they spent money to fill the position. Seems like a good idea to me.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    As noted, it's their money, and this is how the Yanquis roll, so whatever.
    Finally unblocking the FA logjam seems more interesting by far.

We face them in May, June & July, so let's hope for an "interesting" & extended transition.
    Not to be negative, but I'm sick of being their whipping boys.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    This thread illustrates the difference between "NY way of thinking" and "Minnesota way of thinking". Wildcatters do have dry holes--but the winners make up for them.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Yankees have spent half a BILLION dollars this winter & still have Kelly Johnson likely starting at 3B & Brian Roberts at 2B, plus the farm system is a mess and nearly everyone is an injury waiting to happen in their lineup. This signing is just another bad move for a franchise that clearly has no idea what it is doing year in and year out.

16. These 3 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

B Richard (01-22-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (01-22-2014), thetank (01-22-2014)

It seems like a lot of money, but if he doesn't live up to the contract the Yankees know ways of getting out of it.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Twins were in on him until it went over 2 years @ 8 mill. Terry just couldn't get him to take his money!
    I know. It's so frustrating, this parsimony we have here in this organization. A mere $160 million and we could have had him...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A few of the Yanks signings won't pan out. Beltran slumped in the 2nd half the past 2 years. Tanaka will be interesting.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    This thread illustrates the difference between "NY way of thinking" and "Minnesota way of thinking". Wildcatters do have dry holes--but the winners make up for them.
    I think it's more about budgets and revenue flows....There's just simply no way the Twins can compete with the Uber-markets like New York and LA. Those teams get more in their TV deals than the Twins bring in total per year. It's just simply not a level playing field.

I'd love to see a hard salary cap in baseball, but know it has no chance of happening anytime soon.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 307 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Yankees have spent half a BILLION dollars this winter & still have Kelly Johnson likely starting at 3B & Brian Roberts at 2B, plus the farm system is a mess and nearly everyone is an injury waiting to happen in their lineup. This signing is just another bad move for a franchise that clearly has no idea what it is doing year in and year out.
    Yes in the playoffs 17 out of the last 20 years with 5 world series titles they clearly have no idea of what they are doing!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

22. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (01-22-2014)

Liked 1,168 Times in 685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    I'd love to see a hard salary cap in baseball, but know it has no chance of happening anytime soon.
    Nope. And despite all the earlier chatter in the media about the Yankees staying under the luxury tax threshold, that was apparently blown apart, too:

• Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
      Yankees were already slightly over the $189m luxury tax threshold before Tanaka signing... so, that # is in the rear-view mirror.

7:56 AM - 22 Jan 2014

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Nope. And despite all the earlier chatter in the media about the Yankees staying under the luxury tax threshold, that was apparently blown apart, too:

• Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
      Yankees were already slightly over the $189m luxury tax threshold before Tanaka signing... so, that # is in the rear-view mirror.

7:56 AM - 22 Jan 2014
    Slightly over means they still could have found a way to get under the threshold. That is the crazy thing about the Tanaka signing, its not costing them $25 mil a year, its costing closer to $35 million a year with the luxury tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Yes in the playoffs 17 out of the last 20 years with 5 world series titles they clearly have no idea of what they are doing!
    Let's talk recent history, they are clearly falling behind. What lead to the 5 world series titles was an infusion of in house talent that came through the minors and became the key pieces to those teams: Rivera, Pettite, Jeter, Cano, Posada etc. Now the cupboard is bare and other teams are starting to reap the benefits of TV deals (LA Dodgers, LA Angels, Seattle Mariners etc) so now they can't simply "sign everybody"

Also they have won only 1 title in the last 13 years...yes that is better than the Twins, but let's not pretend the Yankees have somehow been DOMINATING baseball the past decade or so.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great move for the Twins! I've watched him and not a big fan of him. Glad he will be pitching for he Yankees at a super high price.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

27. This user likes Badsmerf's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-22-2014)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast