Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Shock (Sarcasm): Tanaka to Yankees

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    So if the minor league system is barren, they should NOT sign free agents? I'm confused how that would make them better.....
    Lighten up Francis....

2. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-22-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 779 Times in 410 Posts
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run."

Senior Member MVP
    To me, judging success only on Titles is off....they have been in teh playoffs A LOT. When did they last lose 90+ games three years in a row?
    Lighten up Francis....

5. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    This is a great move in my book. I was all for signing Tanaka but as the off-season went on and his price started rising as did reports about how much abuse his arm has taken, I became happy the Twins weren't going to be in on him.

He could work out and be servicable, but there's likely an equally decent chance his arm gives out. Let the Yankees keep cycling these bad contracts. I wouldn't be surprised if both this and the Ellsbury contract look terrible by 2016.

Senior Member MVP
    So what? In them meantime, they had 3 or more good years from the players. Again, why does the money matter if it does not keep them from signing players? Do people think salaries are going down over the next 3 years?
    Lighten up Francis....

8. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

FWIW, 7/$155M works out to $22M per year, not $25.
    It's still a ton of money but that difference is not meaningless.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Why should we be upset with what the Yankees spend? Their fans spend a great deal of money to watch the Yankee BB team to be entertained and the owners invest much of that money in players so their fans can maximize (their) enjoyment. Are you advocating that Yankee owners slash their player budget and pocket as much of that cash as possible?--So other teams can win and have other fans be happy? Hmm, sounds rather short-term thinking to me.

11. These 3 users like Kwak's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-23-2014), mike wants wins (01-22-2014), Winston Smith (01-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whosafraidofluigirussolo View Post
    FWIW, 7/$155M works out to $22M per year, not $25.
    It's still a ton of money but that difference is not meaningless.
    + 20 mil posting fee.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    Glad the Twins weren't in on this one. That's a lot of money and time for a guy who's never pitched in MLB. Not a bad signing for a team like the Yankees but I the kind of deal that could hamstring a team like the Twins in the future.

Liked 1,291 Times in 745 Posts
    It is just money. And taking each team as a separate business (no comments about the relative wealth of the owners), the Yankees can simply afford to take a lot bigger $$$$ risks than the Twins. So can the Dodgers, Angels, Rangers and a number of other teams.

Could the Twins have afforded to pay Tanaka? Yes.

Would it have been a smart risk? No.

It may work out for the Yankees. It may not. Even if it doesn't, a bad $155 million ($175 million investment w/posting fee) isn't back-breaking for them given their revenues. It would be awfully hard to stomach for the Twins (and their fans).

15. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (01-22-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    You don't have to like (or dislike) the Yankees just because they (often unwisely) spend massive amounts of money on their team. Championships are championships, but personally I have a lot more respect for teams like the Cardinals or Giants that win through making shrewd moves rather than throwing money at players and hoping for the best (Dodgers, Yankees).
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member MVP
    Really? I have great respect for businesses that use their various assets to achieve their goals. I don't get why there is some mythical "right way" to build a baseball team.

To be clear, what you like is your right. I just don't get why you care. All of this is irrational fandom anyway.....
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 01-22-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Really? I have great respect for businesses that use their various assets to achieve their goals. I don't get why there is some mythical "right way" to build a baseball team.

To be clear, what you like is your right. I just don't get why you care. All of this is irrational fandom anyway.....

I never said there was a right way. You are talking about owners, I am talking about GMs. I have more respect for a front office that creatively leverages its resources to make the most out of its means. It requires more creativity and thoughtfulness, in my opinion. There is no right way to win championships. That doesn't mean that you should be upset with the "irrationality" of someone who might appreciate the more subtle aspects of managing a professional baseball organization.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    LOL. Do not want.

What a horrible contract. Paying a guy Zack Greinke money who hasn't pitched in MLB.

20. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-22-2014)

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know this will seem very conspiratorial. It feels like MLB just bought Tanaka for the Yankees. The first year is paid for already. I hate A-Rod, but I have a feeling that the Yankees are not going to have to pay the remaining 60ish million on his contract. I expect some other suspension or event will cause it to be voided. If this happens then Tanaka is basically free for the Yanks for the first 3-4 years of his contract. And the Yanks have seemed to care about money, lately at least. Teams should have to live with the bad signings they make and the Yankees have a bit of history trying to weasel out of them.

22. These 2 users like COtwin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

dgwills (01-22-2014), johnnydakota (01-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The cherry on an outstanding offseason by Cashman. Lots of smart signings IMO

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    The cherry on an outstanding offseason by Cashman. Lots of smart signings IMO
    "Smart" is not the term I would use. Aggressive? Sure. Smart? Um, no.

25. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (01-22-2014), PseudoSABR (01-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    In the MLB world of no salary cap, "smart moves" are relative to the team that makes them. This is a smarter move for the Yankees to make than the Twins.

The Yankees were smart enough not to give Cano the ridiculous money that Seattle is going to have to fork over.

The opt-out after 4 years seems like a novel idea. That doesn't typically happen with MLB contracts.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    The opt-out after 4 years seems like a novel idea. That doesn't typically happen with MLB contracts.
    They're becoming more common. The opt-out makes a bad deal even worse for the Yankees.

Tanaka is completely unproven. He could be Hideo Nomo as easily (or more easily, probably) than he could be Yu Darvish.

And if he becomes Yu Darvish? He gets to opt out after four seasons and play the field as a 28-29 year old.

Just a terrible deal all around for the Yankees.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,305 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    + 20 mil posting fee.
    And if Tanaka does opt out after 4 years, the amortization of that posting fee makes the yearly cost even a bit higher. As with any "interesting" contracts, we don't actually know what the true cost will be until one or more decisions get made down the line.

/ edit - I see Brock and I were on the same wavelength.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast