Thread: Souhan Article on Rob Antony

Liked 208 Times in 110 Posts
    Blog Entries

Souhan Article on Rob Antony

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/241113151.html

Jim Souhan wrote an article in the STrib on Twins Assistance GM, Rob Antony.

From PR intern to Assistant GM. Pretty good story! Antony does a ton for the team!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Makes one a bit jealous when he describes it as a dream job he actually didn't aspire to. Surely he is underselling the difficulties he's had throughout his career, but Anthony is almost selling it like all he had to do was ask for an internship, after that he has just been given promotions unrequested ever since.

Souhan/Anthony probably could have provided some anecdotes or allusions to "hard work" and "dedication" found in most profile pieces because surely Anthony wouldn't have risen to this position simply by showing up to work every day.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Surely he is underselling the difficulties he's had throughout his career, but Anthony is almost selling it like all he had to do was ask for an internship, after that he has just been given promotions unrequested ever since.
    I don't know if I'd go that far. It's a pretty short piece that mostly outlines Antony's career without going that in-depth--it doesn't explore it all why he moved from the top of the Media Relations department to near the bottom of the Baseball Operations department, which was surely a move Antony decided to make and a decision that could speak a lot to his make up and mindset.

I would agree the article suggests Antony has always been more focused on doing his current job well than on climbing the next rung of the ladder, and it was others who saw something in him that they thought made him well-suited for a promotion.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiee of the Year View Post
    I don't know if I'd go that far. It's a pretty short piece that mostly outlines Antony's career without going that in-depth--it doesn't explore it all why he moved from the top of the Media Relations department to near the bottom of the Baseball Operations department, which was surely a move Antony decided to make and a decision that could speak a lot to his make up and mindset.

I would agree the article suggests Antony has always been more focused on doing his current job well than on climbing the next rung of the ladder, and it was others who saw something in him that they thought made him well-suited for a promotion.
    I inferred something else--Anthony needed experience in the operations side of baseball in order to become a GM. Since he wasn't (like Ryan) a former MiLBer, he had to be trained to evaluate skills and project them.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm confused. Is this story saying he's moved from assistant GM to VP? So from baseball operations side to business side? Did I forget this happened?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Just remember he is the guy who brought us Nishi ...nuff said

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Just remember he is the guy who brought us Nishi ...nuff said
    Huh, what? When did Antony scout Japan? I must have missed that in the column. Wasn't Bill Smith the GM? Not that I blame him either but he was sitting in the big chair.