Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Avoid Arbitration with Duensing, Plouffe, Swarzak

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins and Arbitration

At about noon today is the deadline for arbitration-eligible players and teams to reach an agreement before their numbers are exchanged publically. Brian Duensing, Anthony Swarzak and Trevor Plouffe are the Twins players in this situation...

So, get your final projections in, and then when the numbers come out, feel free to discuss.

Here are my projections:

Brian Duensing - $2.2M
    Trevor Plouffe - $1.995M
    Anthony Swarzak - $1.3M

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    Plouffe signs today per MLB Traderumors $2.35M

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    To see players of limited talent get those kinds of contracts appalls me greatly but it is what it is I guess. It will also be nice when the team can get past using players of that nature, won't it?

4. This user likes oldguy10's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Halsey Hall (01-17-2014)

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    That's a shame. If Plouffe gets that kind of money someone likes him alot more than me.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is the process... very fair deal. Had it gone to arbitration, he would have got either what he was looking for (likely around $2.5M) or what the Twins wanted to pay him ($2.1M). I think this is a good deal for both sides.

Arbitration years are where the players start making money after getting minimum wage (baseball minimum wage!) for 3+ years.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    I don't understand the Plouffe hate, the guy isn't the greatest but he is clearly worth a one year 2.3 mil deal.

The comparable price on the FA market nets you Mark Reynolds.

I'm personally not a huge fan of offering Duensing a contract, but that is just me. $2 mil for him is fine, especially if he bounces back.

8. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (01-17-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'm personally not a huge fan of offering Duensing a contract, but that is just me. $2 mil for him is fine, especially if he bounces back.
    Non-tendering a generally effective reliever seems like a poor decision to me.

10. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-17-2014)

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I don't think they should non-tender him, but are you confident the Twins could find a generally effective reliever that costs less than $2M? I am, but maybe that money doesn't really matter at this point.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I don't think they should non-tender him, but are you confident the Twins could find a generally effective reliever that costs less than $2M? I am, but maybe that money doesn't really matter at this point.
    Well I think hanging on to Duensing is the right move because he may have some trade value and $2 million isn't going to scare off a potential suitor.

Plouffe maybe doesn't quite deserve $2 million this year but he also deserved more than $485K in 2012. It goes both ways.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Swarzak $935K and $25K bonus if he starts 10 games. All 3 avoid arbitration now.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    What was leaque average last year?
    Im guessing this year it will be close to 4 million , so I have no problem with these 3 players getting close to Half of leaque average ,especially since there probally wont be any more big signings this year.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, in total about 5 million for the three arb-eligible players. I think that's about right. Swarzak getting less than a million kind of surprises me, but the other two seem pretty close.

16. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-17-2014)

MLB Weighs in on all Arbitration cases

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    This is the process... very fair deal. Had it gone to arbitration, he would have got either what he was looking for (likely around $2.5M) or what the Twins wanted to pay him ($2.1M). I think this is a good deal for both sides.

Arbitration years are where the players start making money after getting minimum wage (baseball minimum wage!) for 3+ years.
    MLB creates a value for each of the players that are set to go through arbitration. They evaluated Plouffe against other 3rd baseman and estimated a "market rate" based upon his performance to date and numerous other factors. While some may not agree that Trevor deserves the $, he is being paid based upon the market. It just may be he is better than we think!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually, relievers might make the best non-tender candidates (or at least akin to bench players). Not necessarily at $2 million, but if they command anything more than that, you've got to consider it (or unload them in advance) even if they are "generally effective". They just pitch so infrequently and are relatively easy to replace, as compared to other positions. Even a guy like Plouffe would be harder for the Twins to immediately replace than Duensing.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Avoid Arbitration with Duensing, Plouffe, Swarzak

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Well I think hanging on to Duensing is the right move because he may have some trade value and $2 million isn't going to scare off a potential suitor.
    That's kind of what I was getting at. Trade him for something of value and equivalently replace him for less $... seems quite plausible. Mid-season might be the better time for a trade involving Duensing though.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Just wait until the whole 'getting another chance to start' gains more traction!!!!11!!

I would've asked for $25,000 per each start. $2,500 seems...well, rather small. If a real starter started 33 games the total would be...help me, Bert, with my California math,,,,,,,

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    That's kind of what I was getting at. Trade him for something of value and equivalently replace him for less $... seems quite plausible. Mid-season might be the better time for a trade involving Duensing though.
    I hate to hear the "trade Duensing for value" argument. Duensing has NO value for other teams. For 2 mil, why not keep him, but you aren't going to trade him for a top 30 prospect in another system. Just because a guy has a good salary, doesn't mean teams are going to give up "value" (and I assume by value you mean prospects) for him.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I don't understand the Plouffe hate, the guy isn't the greatest but he is clearly worth a one year 2.3 mil deal.

The comparable price on the FA market nets you Mark Reynolds.

I don't understand it at all. I had a guy go off on me on Twitter when I suggested the non-tender thing was a dumb idea. He became the biggest troll I've ever encountered on the Internet about it. I had to ask Twitter to suspend him. It seems, he'd rather have nothing than a positive WAR player at the position.

What does getting rid of guys like that accomplish, unless it's to make room for someone who is clearly ready and clearly better? Sano is not clearly ready. Romero projects at replacement level at best. All getting rid of Plouffe does is save the Twins money and makes them worse. The same people who want to non-tender Plouffe also rant about how cheap the Twins are. They have no clue about how inconsistent those two positions are.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

25. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-17-2014), Oldgoat_MN (01-20-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast