Thread: BA Twins chat

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts

BA Twins chat

I don't have a subscription to BA. If someone does can they summarize the chat without violating forum rules? Thanks in advance.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There isn't really a "theme" to the chat, pretty much a line of individual discussions about several players, including many not in the top 10.

Bullet points:
    • Thinks Twins could have 7 players in the Top 100.
    • Rates Adam walker as #17 (a placement I agree with, he shouldn't be near or in top 10, needs to work on a lot of his game. He's a 1-trick pony at this point)
    • Would put Sean Gilmartin around #15
    • Eddie Rosario still fits better in the OF (he's not a CF-er though, but not like the Twins need that anyway)
    • Will take a similar year to last season for Buxton to see the Twins in September.
    • On Alex Meyer (my favorite quote from the chat): "I’m not sure when exactly the Twins will make their return to the postseason, but whenever that happens I fully expect Alex Meyer to start the opening game."
    • Pinto is not in the top 10 because of his age and lack of pedigree (also a ranking I agree with, as I'd have a hard time fitting him in the top 10 even though he could be a solid player, and plays catcher). Still needs work. Has a good arm, but is lacking in the other aspects of the position. Pinto also doesn't appear on the top 15 players under 25 list, but he does say he'd be #16 there. Later says Pinto would be #14 on the normal top prospect ranking ladder.
    • Was asked about a Sano to 1B, Mauer to 3B flip-flop in the future, his response: "Let’s see how things go for both Mauer and Sano this year. But starting in 2015? A corner flip wouldn’t surprise me one bit." (I don't think that's to say it's likely to happen)
    • The Twins love Fernando Romero, his words: "Twins are VERY high on Romero. He has the potential for three plus pitches, and his fastball, which touches 97, is already a 7 on the scouting scale. He just turned 19, which only adds to the upside"
    • Hard to project starting rotations at low-levels, the Twins have been stockpiling solid arms for those levels. Several "big" names may stay back at EST.
    • Max Kepler would be #11.

Obviously there is much more information than that discussed, and I highly recommend people get the subscription to Baseball America to read it and everything else they have to offer.
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

3. These 5 users like Steve Lein's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

B Richard (01-16-2014), Dance with Disco Dan (01-16-2014), gunnarthor (01-16-2014), Monkeypaws (01-16-2014), PseudoSABR (01-16-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    Thanks Steve, very informative. If possible, what did they say about Thorpe's upside at this point?

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He didn't speak about a potential upside in the chat specifically, but did mention he could slip into the top 100. He is the #7 prospect on their list.

On their Top 10 with scouting reports list though, they give the notes:

• "Some international scouts considered Thorpe the best prospect in years to emerge from Australia" and,
    • "He projects as a mid-rotation starter."
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

6. This user likes Steve Lein's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (01-16-2014)