Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: BA Twins chat

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 184 Times in 113 Posts

BA Twins chat

I don't have a subscription to BA. If someone does can they summarize the chat without violating forum rules? Thanks in advance.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There isn't really a "theme" to the chat, pretty much a line of individual discussions about several players, including many not in the top 10.

Bullet points:
    • Thinks Twins could have 7 players in the Top 100.
    • Rates Adam walker as #17 (a placement I agree with, he shouldn't be near or in top 10, needs to work on a lot of his game. He's a 1-trick pony at this point)
    • Would put Sean Gilmartin around #15
    • Eddie Rosario still fits better in the OF (he's not a CF-er though, but not like the Twins need that anyway)
    • Will take a similar year to last season for Buxton to see the Twins in September.
    • On Alex Meyer (my favorite quote from the chat): "I’m not sure when exactly the Twins will make their return to the postseason, but whenever that happens I fully expect Alex Meyer to start the opening game."
    • Pinto is not in the top 10 because of his age and lack of pedigree (also a ranking I agree with, as I'd have a hard time fitting him in the top 10 even though he could be a solid player, and plays catcher). Still needs work. Has a good arm, but is lacking in the other aspects of the position. Pinto also doesn't appear on the top 15 players under 25 list, but he does say he'd be #16 there. Later says Pinto would be #14 on the normal top prospect ranking ladder.
    • Was asked about a Sano to 1B, Mauer to 3B flip-flop in the future, his response: "Let’s see how things go for both Mauer and Sano this year. But starting in 2015? A corner flip wouldn’t surprise me one bit." (I don't think that's to say it's likely to happen)
    • The Twins love Fernando Romero, his words: "Twins are VERY high on Romero. He has the potential for three plus pitches, and his fastball, which touches 97, is already a 7 on the scouting scale. He just turned 19, which only adds to the upside"
    • Hard to project starting rotations at low-levels, the Twins have been stockpiling solid arms for those levels. Several "big" names may stay back at EST.
    • Max Kepler would be #11.

Obviously there is much more information than that discussed, and I highly recommend people get the subscription to Baseball America to read it and everything else they have to offer.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

3. These 5 users like Steve Lein's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

B Richard (01-16-2014), Dance with Disco Dan (01-16-2014), gunnarthor (01-16-2014), Monkeypaws (01-16-2014), PseudoSABR (01-16-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 184 Times in 113 Posts
    Thanks Steve, very informative. If possible, what did they say about Thorpe's upside at this point?

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He didn't speak about a potential upside in the chat specifically, but did mention he could slip into the top 100. He is the #7 prospect on their list.

On their Top 10 with scouting reports list though, they give the notes:

• "Some international scouts considered Thorpe the best prospect in years to emerge from Australia" and,
    • "He projects as a mid-rotation starter."
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

6. This user likes Steve Lein's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (01-16-2014)