Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Organizational Depth Chart - Middle Infielders

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Organizational Depth Chart - Middle Infielders

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth, didn't LaVelle write something earlier this offseason about being told by the Twins that they intended to give Polanco all of 2014 to show he can play shortstop? Or did I imagine that?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Could Joe Mauer play shortstop?

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco will be a shortstop until something happens. I suspect that at Fort Myers you will see Polanco at SS and Pimenter at 2B with Goodrum moving around third, short and second. Harrison will likely do the third/first shuffle as well. Mejia will likely be the utility guy there. I would be really surprised if Santana is not the starting SS at Rochester and Michael the starting SS at New Britain with Beresford keeping the AAA 2B job warm for Rosario to take over the end of May. Those older guys are just filler at this point...

Blog Entries
    Pimenter?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 87 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed the older guys should be, hopefully will be, filler players. Really like the future prospects of both Goodrum and Polanco. Polanco just seems to have that "it" factor of an all around good player who may not have much HR power, but the ability to hit, take some walks, hit in the clutch, drive the ball, take an extra base and steal a few, etc. The only negative I've ever heard, not seeing him in person, is pure arm strength. Could anyone shed some light on this matter?

I have tasted before that while a strong arm is a quality asset for a SS at any level is important, there is more to the position than simply that. There is positioning, soft hands, accuracy, body control and a quick release.

Goodrum really intrigues me! He's a young man still gaining experience, growing as a ball player, but also seemingly growing and maturing physically. In an earlier thread, he was one of my milb players I picked to click this season. I see a gifted athlete, who when his light bulb snaps on, could really impress.

Always liked and rooted for Beresford, though it seems he's just never going to muscle up any. But another Jeff Reboulet for us perhaps?

And no question Santana has a great deal of athleticism to develop in to at least a versatile, helpful INF even if he never fully approaches his ceiling. Lots of unknowns here, but compared to our INF situation just a couple years ago, plus the emergence of Dozier and potential of Rosario, it is so very refreshing to see we at least have some real talented possibilities over the next few seasons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Seth, didn't LaVelle write something earlier this offseason about being told by the Twins that they intended to give Polanco all of 2014 to show he can play shortstop? Or did I imagine that?
    I think you imagined that. From what I recall, he wrote that they would let him stay at SS for another year. We all thought it was strange because he pretty much only played SS in 2013 when Niko was hurt.

I guess I took it more as saying, he'll continue to get time there, but probably not full time. I could be wrong, depending on what they do with other guys.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You did not put Aderlin mejia on the depth chart...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 344 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    You did not put Aderlin mejia on the depth chart...
    Yep. After our discussion on the Third Base thread the other night, the main things that were going to pique my curiosity with this list was where Santana and Mejia are likely to land.

Is there any chance that the Twins decide to start Santana out in Roc. and Mejia and Michael then become front and center in New Britain? (And then when Rosario comes back in late May, at that point, Mejia could possibly take over for Sano at Third....?)
    Last edited by jokin; 01-15-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Thanks Seth for doing these position reviews!!!! Very informative!!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    I'm not worried about Dozier's power. Its his OBP that I want to see improved. His minor league numbers in this regard were WAY better than his major league numbers so far, so I am somewhat optimistic he can do it. I still think the possibility exists that he could be adequate at shortstop if Rosario earns his way to the bigs. Of course that only makes sense if there are 3 good guys in the outfield. For 2015 I have Buxton and Arcia penciled in to the outfield. Whether Hicks or someone else emerges in 2014 will probably impact where Rosario plays

Blog Entries
    Quick note - I just added Mejia where I think he'll start the season, Ft. Myers. He was supposed to play for ETown last year, not Ft. Myers. He only played about 70-80 games there, so I can't see him jumping up to New Britain to start the season. I also put him as a UT (utility) guy, but I think he, and Wickens, will play a lot, most days. Wickens getting some time in the OF, Mejia all around the infield.

This exercise of trying to figure out where players are going to go for this reason, it's hard to account for playing time. Will Harrison, Goodrum and Polanco all move up? If not, Mejia could play more in FM. If they decided Goodrum would be a 3B (which could, but likely later, he's a solid SS), he could stay in CR to start the season and play 3B while Harrison plays in FM. Mejia and Polanco could play a lot of SS and 2B.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    I'm not worried about Dozier's power. Its his OBP that I want to see improved. His minor league numbers in this regard were WAY better than his major league numbers so far, so I am somewhat optimistic he can do it. I still think the possibility exists that he could be adequate at shortstop if Rosario earns his way to the bigs. Of course that only makes sense if there are 3 good guys in the outfield. For 2015 I have Buxton and Arcia penciled in to the outfield. Whether Hicks or someone else emerges in 2014 will probably impact where Rosario plays
    Regarding Dozier's OBP... if his BA goes from .245 to .275 (which is very realistic), his OBP should got from .310 to .345. Still not great, but pretty solid IsoD.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Regarding Dozier's OBP... if his BA goes from .245 to .275 (which is very realistic), his OBP should got from .310 to .345. Still not great, but pretty solid IsoD.
    .345 would be better than any of the last 4 seasons for Denard Span. I would take that from my leadoff hitter in a heartbeat. The main free agent I want us to get is Stephen Drew who has a .331 OBP which also isn't great but is still 50 points higher than Florimon's. .345 from Dozier, .331 from Drew, .400 from Mauer and .350 from Willingham and at least we are on the right track.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    .345 would be better than any of the last 4 seasons for Denard Span. I would take that from my leadoff hitter in a heartbeat. The main free agent I want us to get is Stephen Drew who has a .331 OBP which also isn't great but is still 50 points higher than Florimon's. .345 from Dozier, .331 from Drew, .400 from Mauer and .350 from Willingham and at least we are on the right track.
    Isn't great? It is great when broken down by position. Drew's .333 OBP in 2013 would have beaten every other team OBP from SS except for four. Having Drew at the bottom of the batting order would be a huge upgrade. I also possibly like Drew batting 2nd against some RHP (.343 career OBP)- especially if the Twins don't mind occasionally changing up on the potential R-L-R-L-R-L-R configuration with Mauer batting in the 2-hole and farther down, Arcia, Plouffe, Kubel, Drew- 4-7 in the order.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you really think the Twins would keep players like Bernier & Bartlett at AAA over Santana?!?!
    God I hope not. That would be a terrible signal.
    Bernier has no future with this club. He does not deserve to block a quality prospect who is on the 40 man roster and is wasting service time repeating a level he did respectable in last year.
    Santana is the best chance this organization has at developing a quality inhouse SS for the next 3 years.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    Do you really think the Twins would keep players like Bernier & Bartlett at AAA over Santana?!?!
    God I hope not. That would be a terrible signal.
    Bernier has no future with this club. He does not deserve to block a quality prospect who is on the 40 man roster and is wasting service time repeating a level he did respectable in last year.
    Santana is the best chance this organization has at developing a quality inhouse SS for the next 3 years.

+1
    Unless they think Bartlett needs 30-50 games to dust the rust off before joining the major league roster as a legitimate contributor, anyone else playing SS to start out the season at Rochester sure seems like a fool's errand.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Santana needs to be in AAA. There isn't a great fit at AA but that should not hold back Santana.

"Tanner Vavra... hit just .246 in E-Town, but got on base about 36% of the time."

Sounds like Tanner Vavra has a good eye.

Anybody get it? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 301 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PopRiveter View Post
    "Tanner Vavra... hit just .246 in E-Town, but got on base about 36% of the time."

Sounds like Tanner Vavra has a good eye.

Anybody get it? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    Yes. Funny. He only has one good eye. It's amazing he has been able to play as long as he has.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast