Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The BA Twins top ten prospect list is out.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post
    This seems pretty familiar to me, too. Was it maybe best defensive player or something to that effect?
    Best defensive infielder. Yeah he had 30 errors. he also has otherworldly range. Much better than Florimon. If he cleans up his errors, he could easily outperform Florimon in the field.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Best defensive infielder. Yeah he had 30 errors. he also has otherworldly range. Much better than Florimon. If he cleans up his errors, he could easily outperform Florimon in the field.
    Do you really think that this is true about his range? If his range is actually that much better than Forimon's he would be considered a super SS prospect close to some of the best prospects. Nobody considers him that. Florimon has very good range and a strong arm. Those aren't his problem. Consistency and the bat are his problems.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    Do you really think that this is true about his range? If his range is actually that much better than Forimon's he would be considered a super SS prospect close to some of the best prospects. Nobody considers him that. Florimon has very good range and a strong arm. Those aren't his problem. Consistency and the bat are his problems.
    I'm mostly going on reports from Twins scouts. But, yes, he is said to have better range than Florimon. Similar instincts and jumps, more speed. Stronger arm.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm mostly going on reports from Twins scouts. But, yes, he is said to have better range than Florimon. Similar instincts and jumps, more speed. Stronger arm.
    Florimon is not yet and may never be a great shortstop, but his tools are better than anybody who played shortstop for the Twins all the way back to Gagne. I hadn't heard of any reports that actually say Santana has better tools than Florimon. Some who have seen him play on this site are impressed with Santana's tools but not that impressed. So I think I will reserve judgment. Especially since your 2nd post didn't mention otherworldly.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    In a lot of lists Pinto (and Herrmann and Hicks and Arcia) has graduated and he is not regarded a prospect any more because of those 83 MLB PAs and because he will likely is the Twins starting C. IMO, if you played in the majors, you are done as a prospect.

I do like the MLB.com list better and not willing to jump on the Thorpe (or Sulbaran or Jorge) bandwagons quite yet. Maybe after this season. Walker needs to get on base more. A college kid with a .310 and .319 OBP in the last 2 seasons is not a top 10 prospect. Add 115 K in 508 ABs to that low OBP and you might be getting the picture. If he increases his walk rate and gets his OBP closer to .350, then he might be on the radar. At this point he is not much better prospect than someone like DJ Hicks (who is better with the bat, but not with his glove)

Thrylos, Maybe you like the Twins mlb.com list better than BA's Twins specific list, and thats fine. But you can't possibly think their accumiltive lists are better than BA's or even John Sickles' or BP's.

Look no further than the Texas Rangers (mlb.com) Mayo list. Its atrocious!
    Its soo so bad.

Jorge Alfaro ranks #1 the catcher while Rougned Odor the clear cutt #1 ranks #4.

Luke Jackson, who if you talk to ANY ranger fan, is in the top 5 or 6 amongst Ranger spects........ HE RANKS 10th !?!?! ....and 1 spot behind Cody Buckel who didn't just fall off of the planet earth he fell out of the entire universe last year.

and Jackson is pretty clearly one of their top 2 pitching prospects.

Even in the back half OF Nick WIlliams who ranks 17th is clearly better than about 5 or 6 guys ahead of him.

I respect Jonathan Maya for all the work he does, but pretty clearly they are just lazy in getting the lists correct.
    I know its not for a lack of updates, because Michael Choice who the Rangers just aquired from Oak. ranked #4
    And the Twins' Sean Gilmartin ranked back half who they just got for Doumit from the Bravos.

It really is pathetic and they could pay me $10 a day to do a much better job; As far as proper lists go among all 30 teams. And i'm serious.

BTW, I respect you're opinion thrylos a ton, on Twins daily. As i think ur one of the most knowledgable twins fans. Just wanted to be clear.
    Last edited by shs_59; 01-16-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    Wasn't Santana voted "Best Prospect" in the Eastern League last year by the managers? I get the relatively unimpressive performance from a sabermetrics POV but he must have something that catches the eye of experienced baseball people.
    Santana was named the best Defensive Shortstop (could be based on tools, I dunno) in the eastern league by opposing managers.

This is one reason to have him so high. SS is premium position and if a guy can hit just a little and play good D he has value. Furthermore he is a threat on the base paths with his speed. He has + Speed, + Arm, + Range and his bat is not a huge -. If he could take walks he would be a top 100 prospect.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    Thrylos, Maybe you like the Twins mlb.com list better than BA's Twins specific list, and thats fine. But you can't possibly think their accumiltive lists are better than BA's or even John Sickles' or BP's.

Look no further than the Texas Rangers (mlb.com) Mayo list. Its atrocious!
    Its soo so bad.
    That's the thing: I have no idea about the Rangers' prospects and I really don't care that much. I do know the Twins' prospects, I have seen them play and I am relaying my gut feelings versus those of the national publications...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    If (like all prospects) - he can continue to cut his K rate (30% in 2012 to 20% in 2013) and improve his BB rate - he might have a chance to move up on their ranking list.

For the record - I see Walker improving again - He is my BREAKOUT player of the year again for 2014...
    Those are a couple of big ifs. Usually a major step forward like he had is at least partly due to random variations. A significant reduction in K% is unlikely, and a slight regression is a better bet (especially if he moves up in competition.)
    Last edited by gil4; 01-16-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Didnt Florimon have 40+ errors each of his last 2 seasons in the minors?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123