Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins Organizational Depth Chart - Third Base

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Mejia could be a utility man long-term, but my guess is they would rather he be playing every day rather than sitting behind Sano, Santana and Rosario.
    So the alternative is that they go out sign another AAAA guy? Makes sense, I guess.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right now Plouffe is the best option for the MLB club, whether its for half a year or a year and half. Many things could change that though. If Sano's elbow is not ready, if he struggles, if Plouffe gets hurt, or if he struggles. Another thing to look at is if Parmalee absolutely kills it, Willingham returns to 2012 form and Arcia improves on last year, maybe Mauer HAS to move to third to get Parm's bat in the line-up. Doubtful, but still.

If Plouffe can't handle it, maybe Dozier should move to third and Escobar gets second.

After Mauer, this team is hardly set. It should be open to playing whoever the hot hand is with the bat, and platoon/substitute accordingly.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    To me Parmelee absolutely killing it is a far cry from reality as is Willingham returning to 2012 form. And why move Dozier to third and put Escobar at second? Wouldn't Escobar simply going to third be more logical? However, Arcia improving I can easily see.

Michael Young

It's my guess, but I also think it would be most beneficial for him. I agree that BABIP isn't completely luck. I think they have Sano start there, with Romero and/or others at Rochester. If Sano crushes and makes those little improvements at New Britain, he'll skip AAA. Or, when he moves up, it's not like he will fight for time with Romero.

Romero is a nice minor league player. he's not a big league regular, but he could be a solid replacement player for short-term.
    Seth, why not sign Michael Young to an one year deal as a place holder for Sano and trade Plouffe for whatever you could get (realizing that isn't much)? Young is a better defender, better bat and a better clubhouse guy.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    My opinion, and that's all it is, is that Sano will be much better at 3B than Mauer would be.
    Seth I agree with your opinions a lot but the reactionary part is all in Mauer's favor. You don't get to be a Gold Glove at catcher without being quick and agile and at 6'5" he was an anomaly at that position as well. Great hand eye coordination, sure handed and strong arm make him ideal for 3rd base. He should have switched there a couple years ago and kept Ramos for catcher. I believe Mauer would be much better at 3rd base but also believe he would be way better than Sano at 1st base which is why you would keep him there rather than switching them. Not because Sano would be better at 3rd. Just my opinion.

Senior Member Double-A
    Only reason to move Dozier anywhere is to shortstop if Rosario pushes him out of 2nd base. Won't happen this year and unless Hicks rebounds I see an outfield of Buxton, Rosario and Arcia for quite a while.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty74 View Post
    I realize Mauer has just made the FT move to 1st base, but why couldn't he be a potential solution at 3rd? There is no question it is hard to switch positions, however, in my opinion, Mauer would be very likely to do a very good/excellent job at 3rd. If Sano continues to struggle defensively isn't this an option? Move him to 1st and let one of the top athletes to ever come out of Minny move to 3rd.
    Could Mauer play shortstop?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've always believed the "Mauer to 3B" advocates significantly underestimate what it takes to learn to play even an adequate MLB-level 3B. Mauer's a great athlete with impressive instincts, but I don't think that means he would just pick up a fielder's glove, walk out to 3B and play on.

Sano is a pretty impressive athlete as well. He was playing shortstop before the Twins signed him. They immediately moved him to 3B in his first spring training and have worked with him pretty much constantly ever since. He's now, apparently, reached the point where he's playing a passable minor league level 3B.

I want both of those guys focusing as much of their attention as possible on hitting baseballs for as long as they are teammates with the Twins. Asking them both focus their attention on learning another new position just as they're finally about to play on the same field together seems like a bad idea to me.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Double-A
    Jim Cricket. I advocated the switch for Mauer several years ago, but that was when Morneau was holding the 1st base spot. I no longer am in favor of it but I believe he could make the transition and be adequate in a short period of time. I also believe that if he had made the switch 3 years ago he would be way more than adequate by now. In other words I think he has the talent set to be a GREAT 3rd baseman just based on his talent set as catcher and his general athleticism. I consider skill set to be a different category and that is what would take time to develop and it just no longer makes sense so I agree it would now be a bad idea.

Liked 203 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I'm biased because I played a lot of 3B in my younger days... It's not easy. Those reaction plays are tough and so is charging in on a ball.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    Jim Cricket. I advocated the switch for Mauer several years ago, but that was when Morneau was holding the 1st base spot. I no longer am in favor of it but I believe he could make the transition and be adequate in a short period of time. I also believe that if he had made the switch 3 years ago he would be way more than adequate by now. In other words I think he has the talent set to be a GREAT 3rd baseman just based on his talent set as catcher and his general athleticism. I consider skill set to be a different category and that is what would take time to develop and it just no longer makes sense so I agree it would now be a bad idea.
    I was with you several years ago, especially when it looked like Ramos could handle a large portion of the Catcher load for the Twins. I haven't changed my opinion. And that was mainly because the Twins can't reasonably expect to recoup the per year cost for Mauer at First Base.

Joe Torre never played a major league game at Third until he was age 29, in his 10th year in the majors. The next year he won the NL MVP at age 30 playing the position for 161 games. Joe Mauer doesn't turn 31 until mid-April...a great athlete can make the necessary adjustments and be more than merely "competent" at a new position reasonably within his range of athleticism.
    Last edited by jokin; 01-16-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Maybe I'm biased because I played a lot of 3B in my younger days... It's not easy. Those reaction plays are tough and so is charging in on a ball.
    I am a bit late to this party but Joe was one heck of an athlete at one point. I'm sure most know this but as a refresher in case it was forgotten, not only was he drafted #1 in baseball but he also was the National HS Football Player of the Year and the #1 recruit in the nation his senior season. In basketball he was named to the All-State team in both his junior and senior seasons.

Now, how Joe would handle the hot corner after a decade behind the dish.... *shrug*. I have no doubts however that had the Twins moved him to 3B in the minors that he would have been gold glove caliber there as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12