Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Which one Free Agent should the Twins sign for 2014?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Masahiro Tanaka

9 15.52%
  • Michael Young

1 1.72%
  • Ervin Santana

2 3.45%
  • Ubaldo Jimenez

1 1.72%
  • Matt Garza

26 44.83%
  • Stephen Drew

14 24.14%
  • Kendrys Morales

1 1.72%
  • Mark Reynolds

0 0%
  • None of the Above

4 6.90%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What one Free Agent should the Twins sign for the 2014 Season

I would vote for Garza.

But I would rather see Drew with the extra funds going by way of Santana. Public Relations-wise, he would be worth every penny! f he pitched, that first game -- wow! -- and it would all be worth it!

Okay, too much Santana love here.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

I voted for Tanaka. His K's were down last year but his career K numbers were awfully close to Darvish with fewer walks. I don't think he'll be Darvish (who might be the best pitcher in the AL) but I think there's a chance he's our ace for 5 years if we sign him. I don't think you can say that with any of the other guys. I just want a real ace pitcher here. We've had one true #1 in the last 20 years. Gross.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_YANKEE_COLA View Post
    I voted for Tanaka. His K's were down last year but his career K numbers were awfully close to Darvish with fewer walks. I don't think he'll be Darvish (who might be the best pitcher in the AL) but I think there's a chance he's our ace for 5 years if we sign him. I don't think you can say that with any of the other guys. I just want a real ace pitcher here. We've had one true #1 in the last 20 years. Gross.
    We all want an ace but I think it's a mistake to pin those hopes on a 24 year old that has already pitched 1300 professional innings and barely K'ed 7 per 9 in Japan last season... Not when that player is going to run over $100m to sign. Sure, he could rebound and start missing bats again... Or he might not. And at that money, the guy better be as close to a sure thing as there is in baseball. The Twins simply cannot afford to pay a guy over 1/5th of their total payroll and not get premium performance out of him.

Darvish K'ed over 11 per 9 innings in his last season in Japan. He was trending the opposite direction when he came to MLB.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    re: Michael Young: About ready to announce his retirement.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

5. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (01-14-2014)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_YANKEE_COLA View Post
    With Masahiros Tanakas wife wanting to be on the West coast and the Yankees wanting him , Minnesotas only chance at signing him is to a much shorter contract say a 2 or 3 year deal

We've got herds of starters and Florimon at SS, so while Drew may not be the specific name I say we need another SS. There's got to be a guy out there worth a two year deal to play until it becomes clear a genuine long term SS is in the system or not.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris E View Post
    There's got to be a guy out there worth a two year deal to play until it becomes clear a genuine long term SS is in the system or not.
    Here's the list of available shortstops:

1. Stephen Drew

2. ...

3. Pedro Florimon?

4. Damn it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12