Notes from Rob Antony Interview with Pelissero and Souhan
Rob Antony was a guest on 1500espn's Sunday Morning Sports Talk with Tom Pelissero and Jim Souhan. Here are some notes:
- Morneau has had enough at bats to find his swing, and now he can ramp up.
- Morneau would prefer to play 1B, but if he's not, it'll get another bat in the lineup, and the way Parmelee has it, that might be OK.
- In his 25 years, he doesn't remember the Twins ever having a high ranking by Baseball America.
- Late bloomers, develop slowly... might be a reason why, but we're pleased with our prospects and progress they're making.
- Would like some more pitching prospects.
- A lot of guys who have a chance to be a top end guy, but guys who will play for awhile.
- Exception - Sano... has a chance to be a great hitter and fielder. Rosario, several of the guys they drafted last year.
- Get a lot of grief because of the records at Rochester and New Britain, but our prospects progressed appropriately and that's what matters.
- Don't want to blame injuries completely, but there were a lot of players where we did not want them.
- Francisco Liriano - best word to describe him is "inconsistent" but he's throwing the ball really well right now.
- To give him a multi-year deal: he would need to stay healthy, be consistent
- Bullpen: Capps, Perkins, Duensing and Swarzak are locked in. Maloney and Burton are probables. Manship, Burnett, Fien and Waldrop for one spot.
- Bench: Versatility makes things interesting.
- Parmelee is forcing his way on the team. Gives us options at 1B and OF.
- Hughes has versatility, could play SS for a day or two.
- Down to decision on 3rd catcher (Butera/Towles battling), Burroughs has a bat we'd love off the bench, Florimon has shown he can be a true utility guy (fields well, runs well)...
- Burroughs, Revere and Florimon battling for a spot. (Shocked that Revere is a question mark)
- Best thing to say about Joe Mauer is that no one is talking about him. He thinks we'll see a return to form!