Thread: Worst to first
01-09-2013, 02:24 AM #1
Worst to first
In 1990, the Twins finished last in the AL Western Division. In 1991, they won the World Series.
Most of us would love to see that happen again.
This is intended to be a FUN thread where, within reason, we can post our fantasies about how this could happen. Here are some of my fantasies:
1. Mauer and Morneau both return to MVP form and finish 1st and 2nd in the AL MVP voting for 2013. Plouffe gets a new girlfriend (introduced to him by Bark's Lounge) and finishes 5th in the MVP voting.
2. Some combination of Carroll, Dozier, Florimon, Escobar, etc. comes together to provide at least league average 2B and SS, with clutch defense in key postseason games.
3. Plouffe catches fire often and stays on fire for extended periods, racking up 35+ home runs and lots of doubles.
4. Willingham stays healthy and duplicates 2012. Parmelee is decent in RF and Hicks has a surprisingly good rookie season in CF.
5. Blackburn regains his prior best form, Diamond stays the same or improves, Hendriks finds an out pitch, Deduno improves his control by three inches and the new starters pitch at the top of their potential range. The Twins starters appear in the cover of Sports Illustrated in August.
Now it's your turn. Remember this is more about fantasy than reality or OPS or any of that. What happened in 1991 seems almost like a miracle, and this thread is about how that miracle might happen again.
This reminds me of the wisdom of ABBA -- "Like history pulled from the shelf, it's always repeating itself". Many of my best fantasies not involving the Twins winning the World Series revolve around being with the ABBA women.
01-09-2013, 02:40 AM #2
I wish I could type that coherently after getting home from the bar.
I kid, I kid."Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
- Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's
01-09-2013, 06:18 AM #3
I think you had me until the Blackburn thing. Best form = .500 (2008/2009) 11-11 with a 4.ERA... but considering... I think we'd take that nowadays.
I actually think Mauer and Morneau will have their best M&M year, this year (assuming Morneau is still around). I think that's a reality.
I think and hope Parmalee will be alright.
When the Twins win... it's because there's something that causes a spark in the clubhouse two or three times in a season. Someone would have to do it at the outset. Hicks perhaps 6-8 weeks later. And then someone else in the second half of the season.
So, I think the real fantasy has everything do with pitching. Gibson will have to come up and be a 15-5 type of guy. Diamond will have be Tom Glavine like. Worley will need to a bulldog type of competitor. Hendriks will have to smack himself in the face every morning to remember that he just needs to do the same things he does at AAA. You would need a 5th starter going .500. Kevin Correia and Mike Pelfrey... as many Minnesotans would say, "ooftah". Asking for a lot.
I'll cheer just as loudly with the hope that dreams in 2013 really do come true.
01-09-2013, 07:21 AM #4
01-09-2013, 07:40 AM #5
Oh it could happen if Ryan wakes up and sign Marcum and a couple more. Then makes the greatest trades ever, Correia for Hardy and Blackburn for Sorriano and plays him at 2b. But it's goin to take a hell of a party, with some great stuff to, to have both Ryan and Pohlad to have that dream. Maybe he will fall down the stairs and hit his head!
01-09-2013, 11:03 AM #6Posts on other sites:
01-09-2013, 11:25 AM #7
Kevin Correia wins the Cy Young award.
Nick Blackburn wins the Viagra Comeback Player of the Year award.
Joe Mauer hits 30 home runs, drives in 110, and wins another MVP.
Twins pick up Nick Punto to be their starting shortstop.
01-09-2013, 11:32 AM #8
It all hinges on improved pitching. With improved pitching the door can swing open and we will find out if we have some gamers on this roster.
If the pitching improves to near average and we still struggle to win. We will know that we need different position players. It's hard to make that determination until the pitchers do better.
01-09-2013, 11:53 AM #9
A kernal of truth in a joke.
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM #10
The AL Central is one Tommy John surgery from being a free-for-all. Not that I hope for that, I prefer the idea of the Twins triumphing over Verlander and the Tigers
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM #11
01-10-2013, 09:19 AM #12
01-10-2013, 09:59 AM #13
I could see the Twins possibly making this kind of move in 2014 or 2015 as some actual young talent starts to arrive and hopefully become avg or better MLB'ers. Next season I'm not sure how they could top 75 wins even if several miracles occur. Most likely the Twins land another top 5 pick (hopefully for the last time).
01-10-2013, 10:01 AM #14
Target field offers 2 for 1 Surlys for those of Swede, German, Polish lineage. That happens and I am divorced by July.
01-10-2013, 09:11 PM #15
Many things need to happen...namely:
1) "Wild Thing" Rick Vaughn discovers his command and becomes a dominant starter. I suspect vision problems...
2) Veteran Jake Taylor returns to his "pre-Mexican league" form and provides a league-average season at C, as well as much needed leadership.
3) Pedro Cerrano finally figures out the curveball and becomes the right-handed masher we've been waiting for in the middle of the lineup.
4) Willie "Mays" Hays breaks the single-season stolen base record and provides the spark we need on the basepaths.
5) Veteran Roger Dorn sheds his prissy-boy image and regains the moxie he showed early in his career. The guy can play--just needs motivation.
6) Harris will really need to produce a 15-20 win season and stabilize the top of the rotation until Vaughn is ready.
If ALL of this happens, I could see this team appearing in a Visa card commercial by August and making a serious run at a pennant.
01-10-2013, 09:24 PM #16
Now that's funny. Who are you going to use for a Pin Up motivator? lol
01-11-2013, 01:07 AM #17