Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Heyman: Twins Place Worley on Waivers

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

According to CBS' Jon Heyman, the Twins have placed Vance Worley on waivers. It was only a matter of time after his brutal outing on Tuesday night. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

#2 Trautmann13

Trautmann13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

It really sucks for him that it came to this. We need to face the facts. He won 1 game in a Twins uniform, and had the worst spring I have seen in awhile. He we clearly the worst pitcher on the roster and needed to be dropped or traded and nobody would trade for him.

#3 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Well, that didn't take long. The timing is curious, waiting a couple days, but not waiting for until the end of Spring Training.

#4 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

According to Mike Berardino, he was placed on waivers Wednesday and will either clear or be claimed today.

#5 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

According to Mike Berardino, he was placed on waivers Wednesday and will either clear or be claimed today.

That makes more sense. Thanks.

#6 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

The Twins did him a favor by cutting him now, giving him a better chance to latch on to a new team. I wonder if they'd even keep him in AAA if he went unclaimed.

#7 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

Gotta hope he falls through, give him some time in Rochester and hope he gets one more shot in a Twins uniform sometime this summer.

#8 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

I do hope he clears waivers and the Twins can send him down. I think the Twins would benefit from seeing whether he can make adjustments and reemerge. The fact that the guy had success with the Phils and he is still so young, there should be reason to hope he can still turn it around. Could a conversion to a reliever be an option?

#9 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,439 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

I'm a little disappointed that we never got to see/experience the "Vanimal" part of his personality.

Feels like just another in an endless stream of pitchers who are with the Twins for a month or two and then disappear only occasionally to be heard from again.

#10 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Bummer on how this has worked out......real bummer.
Lighten up Francis....

#11 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Gibson is the 5th starter, according to LEN3.

http://twinsdaily.co...r-fifth-starter

#12 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hope he makes it through, and gets a chance to develop the skill he needs to be a successful big league starter again.

I'm guessing Kubel will take his place on the 40-man.

#13 savvyspy

savvyspy

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

Hopefully Diamond follows quickly behind Worley. Both are AAA pitchers and if they clear waivers would be assets to call up in a pinch if needed. If they are claimed its good to know they are basically replacement level or below pieces that are easily replaced.

Its time for this team to take a step forward. That means stop messing around with zero upside soft tossers like Diamond and start looking at actual prospects like Gibson.

This is shaping up to be the 4th 90+ loss season in a row. That is a disgrace for a team that will be in year 5 of a new ballpark. Its time this front office and fan base stop worrying about the roster filler and focus on who is going to play shortstop, lead off, drive in runs, play catcher, and other GLARING holes in the lineup.

A great Scott Diamond or the regular Scott Diamond is a difference between being 65-97 and 67-95. It just isn't worth eating up more spring training innings anymore. You know what you have, a guy that will win roughly a quarter of his starts and have an ERA in the mid-5s.

Gibson may not be the answer but its time to see whether he can hold down the job.

#14 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

I hope he clears, but I doubt he will. The Blue Jays make a living claiming all sorts of players on waivers, this feels like another one they'd take a crack at.

It's too bad he never worked out for the Twins. Hopefully he fixes whatever is ailing him (be it mechanical or mental) and can return to form somewhere.

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

latch on to a new team

They aren't releasing him. If they were doing that, they wouldn't need waivers.

#16 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

If he can't stick with the Twins what team is really bad enough to want him?
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#17 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

I think the assumption is someone will claim him

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

If he can't stick with the Twins what team is really bad enough to want him?

One that thinks they can waive him as well and he'll pass through because no one else will want him...

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

I think the assumption is someone will claim him

Usually I think of someone "latching on" when he's a free agent. Semantics, I guess.

#20 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,792 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

It was only a question of timing.

The time is now I guess.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#21 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 878 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Correct. Semantics.

Edited by birdwatcher, 21 March 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#22 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

If someone claims Worley, he will have to stick with the major league team. The claiming team could also try to waive him and send him to the minors. Once he finally clears waivers with whatever team finally ends up with him, he will be removed from the 40 man roster. He can always be added to the 40 man roster later, but once a player is dfa'd twice, he can become a free agent.

I can't see any team willing to start the season with Worley on the 25 man roster based on his spring performance. I expect him to be sent to Rochester.

#23 Ben B

Ben B

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

It bums me out what happened with Worley. He seemed like he could settle in as a solid No. 3 or 4 starter and be a fun personality to boot. I hope he makes it through waivers as I still think he has some (slim) upside. Even if it was smoke and mirrors he had two pretty good seasons with the Phillies. It's really odd how it blew up so completely in the span of a year. I wonder if he ever got right after having the bone chips removed.

#24 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Anyone have a favorite Worley highlight?
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Anyone have a favorite Worley highlight?

http://en.wikipedia....s_shortest_book

#26 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Time has come and gone, I'm assuming he cleared and will be sent to Rochester.

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

A mention was just made on the telecast of today's game, that he has cleared.

#28 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

On the radio broadcast, they said he has cleared waivers and accepted an assignment to AAA.

#29 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

In an article entitled, "Phillies Ruben Amaro Might Not Be Terrible Anymore," Grantland says one his best trades was Worley for Revere.

http://grantland.com...es-ruben-amaro/
"Where's the Crede?"

#30 KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

I am actually glad he is coming back. Gives us depth and maybe he can bounce back? Yes, I agree, I wish we never got rid of Ben Revere. Never understood that trade. I can actually seeing us trade Span, because we had Revere...