Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Who I'd Take North

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

LOCKS in BOLD

Starting 9:
CF Hicks - Provides spark, interest and most potential of available choices.
2B Dozier
1B Mauer
LF Willingham
RF Arcia
3B Plouffe

DH Parmelee- one last stand.
SS Florimon

Bench 4:
IF Escobar
OF/DH Kubel - I think Gardy will want him and still believes in stick.
1B/OF/C Herrmann - Need a back-up Catcher, looks like Pinto will be in AAA.
UTL Bartlett - Backup CF, Gardy wants veterans. Allows another IF on bench.

Rotation:
Ricky Nolasco
Phil Hughes
Mike Pelfrey
Kevin Correia
Sam Deduno- I think he has EARNED it. Also was probably favorite coming into it.

Bullpen: (7)
Perkins
Fien
Burton
Duensing
Swarzak
Thielbar - I know he has options, but he needs to be up.
Worley- I don't think you can give up on him.

#2 minnymadness

minnymadness

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

Worley is terrible give me either Guarra or Tomkin in the bullpen. No way they go north without Alex Presley. Even though he has had a terrible spring you need a guy who can play all 3 outfield positions and give you speed off the bench. The only way Bartlett goes north is if Florimon cant go to open the season.
If it was me Id say sorry Kubel but Colabello out played you all spring and offers as much or more then you at this point. You can go play at Rochester and well give you a call later if we need you.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:50 PM

Sub out Kubel for Colabello
Sub out Bartlett for Presley
Sub out Worley for Tonkin

Those three are gone. Diamond needs to "get an injury" for the time being.

#4 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

I think Diamomd instead of Worely
I think Colobello instead of Kubal
I think Pressly instead of Bartlet
I think Pinto instead of Hermann
I could also see Diamond instead of thiebar with worley in the pen but I agree,
Thiebar deserves it and has earned it

#5 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:52 AM

Presley has to go north since we need a backup CF. I agree, it looks like Hermann's versatility will get him the backup C. Colabello has to be on the roster as he has certainly earned it, and Kubel is batting .080 (although so has Hammer) and Escobar on the bench.

Deduno is the #5 and he certainly has earned it. I'd think to think Tonkin has earned the last spot along with Thielbar. You are right, Diamond needs to come up with a case of "dead arm" although I'm not opposed to seeing him go either with Gibson and possibly Meyer waiting in the wings. This could change if we make a trade in the pen, like Duensing or Burton, in which case Tonkin and Hoffman would certainly make it

#6 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:38 AM

I agree, it looks like Hermann's versatility will get him the backup

Plus, I think they want Pinto to get more playing time to work on his defense and game calling than he would be as back-up.

#7 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

Bartlett won't be the backup cf, the throwing mechanics are different and Bartlett doesn't have the arm or the wheels for it.

#8 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

Many posters are saying the Twins outfield alignment should be Willingham, Hicks and Arcia to start the season - that is fine hitting-wise but it would be a disaster defensively to have both Willingham and Arcia in the outfield together. If they are to be in the lineup at the same time one of them absolutely has to be the designated hitter.

#9 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,469 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

Well, first of all, before you can have a back-up catcher, you need to have a catcher so I'd put Suzuki's name on there somewhere.

Second, I'm thinking that it will be Pinto as the back-up. He may not get as many AB's as we'd like but he really needs to be learning major league hitters.

And while I suspect Kubel will come north, I'm not in favor of it. I don't see them bringing Bartlett.

Have to think about how my entire list would shake out.

#10 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

Well, first of all, before you can have a back-up catcher, you need to have a catcher so I'd put Suzuki's name on there somewhere.

Second, I'm thinking that it will be Pinto as the back-up. He may not get as many AB's as we'd like but he really needs to be learning major league hitters.

And while I suspect Kubel will come north, I'm not in favor of it. I don't see them bringing Bartlett.

Have to think about how my entire list would shake out.

LOL, my keyboard was being a bit wacky last night. I had Suzuki entered and things kept getting deleted, with the bold and what-not.

I would take Pinto in a heartbeat, IF he was assured 3 starts behind plate each week and at least 2 at DH. Problem is Gardy will not start him at DH unless he has a 3rd catcher. Not sure I want to lose Parmelee/Kubel/Collabello to carry a 3rd catcher.

#11 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

1500ESPN reporting Worley let go.

Edited by Rick Blaine, 19 March 2014 - 08:12 AM.

#12 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,469 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

I would take Pinto in a heartbeat, IF he was assured 3 starts behind plate each week and at least 2 at DH. Problem is Gardy will not start him at DH unless he has a 3rd catcher.

I'm slightly encouraged by this quote from a LEN3 article: "If Pinto makes the team, as seems likely, the club understands that he will need to play more than twice a week."

But it is a bit of a dilemma.

I don't know why Gardenhire can't stand the idea of pitchers getting a few AB's. Some of them could probably end up with a BA higher than some of the other starters. ;)

#13 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

Pinto should make the team but with 5 off days in april he should probably go down the first month of the season. but I'm ok with him over Hermann. I have Hicks and Pressly in the OF with Arcia and Willingham. IF is Mauer, Florimon, Dozier, and Plouffe, with Escobar as the back up and Suzuki and either Hermann or Pinto as the back up my vote is Herman to start the season. DH is Colabello and that leaves one more bench player which is likely Bernier or Parmelee depending on what the Twins feel they need. Kubel still has a chance to beat out Parmelee for the last spot should the Twins go with that type of player over the extra middle IF.

Pitching the 5 starters are pretty much named with Gibson being the 6th starter. the bullpen is Perkins, Deunsing, Burton, Fien, Swarzak, then you have 2 spots left. Thielbar, Pressley, Diamond, Tonkin, and several others. there are too many good options here to call. Though I wonder if Swarzak is guaranteed a spot with his spring? I would think so but I haven't heard anything about him and his numbers are terrible. I bet Guerrier start the season on the 15 day DL so he gets more time and the Twins can keep evaluating. aand my last question is could Gibson be the starter who gets stashed in the bullpen to start the season?

#14 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:22 AM

Many posters are saying the Twins outfield alignment should be Willingham, Hicks and Arcia to start the season - that is fine hitting-wise but it would be a disaster defensively to have both Willingham and Arcia in the outfield together. If they are to be in the lineup at the same time one of them absolutely has to be the designated hitter.

Presley might get some starts at a corner with Arcia/Hamer then DHing. If Parmelee makes the club, he could be starting at a corner sometimes, relegating Osvaldo or Hammer to DH.

#15 CRArko

CRArko

Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Haven't seen confirmation of this, but it wouldn't come as a huge shock.

#16 Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

Haven't seen confirmation of this, but it wouldn't come as a huge shock.

I haven't seen anything anywhere else either. It may have been Mackey and Souhan wishful thinking. Mackey was telling the story how Gardy had to put the Vanimal down---but he kept going with it. Maybe I didn't catch the satire.

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

Was he released? Or was he DFA'd? The ESPN 1500 facebook page says he was optioned to Rochester which I think is impossible as he's out of options. Or did he already clear waivers when we weren't looking?

Edit: The report I saw on ESPN 1500 was from his demotion last May. I'd still like to hear if more comes from this. Letting him go would imply a release. If that's the case, you have to like Meyer and May's chances of starting in Rochester, otherwise why wouldn't the Twins try to sneak Worley through waivers unless they didn't want him taking up a Rochester rotation spot either.

Edited by nicksaviking, 19 March 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#18 strumdatjag

strumdatjag

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Take Colabello instead of Kubel or Parmalee. Diamond has probably done enough to be the proverbial "lefty with a pulse" although it may be a pretty weak pulse. Deduno is 5th starter and put Scott in the pen

#19 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Given the blurb on MLBTR http://www.mlbtrader...ins-owings.html that the phones are heating up for trades, I'm not sure we can forecast the 24th and 25th man very well at all. An out-of-options decision or two may become moot. (Oddly, the MLBTR blurb indicates taking on someone's o-o-o headache isn't out of the realm of possibility either.)

#20 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hopefully there aren't o-o-o swaps!

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

In Shane's fantasy land, the Twins trade Correia and Pelfrey for mid-tier prospects and roll out with a rotation of Nolasco-Hughes-Deduno-Diamond-Gibson.

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,848 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

I'm usually pretty optimistic but the offense is starting to freak me out in a half empty kind a way.

I never really considered Colabello as a serious option to start with the big club.

I'm considering it strongly now.

If Hammer and Plouffe don't provide big power we are in trouble. Colabello would be some insurance. Right now Colabello is replacing Kubel on my dance card.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#23 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

If it were up to me,

Hicks
Dozier
Mauer
Hammer
Arcia
Plouffe
DH
Suzuki
P-Flo

Bench
Escobar
Pressley
Colabello
Pinto
Kubel

Rotation
Nolasco
Hughes
Correia
Pelfry
Gibson

Pen
Deduno
Swarzak
Duensing
Tonkin
Fien
Burton
Perkins

(And I would be activley shopping Corriea, Duensing, and maybe Burton to open up spots)

Edited by zchrz, 19 March 2014 - 02:33 PM.

"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#24 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

In my world

Starting 9:
CF Hicks
C Pinto 50%
2B Dozier
1B Mauer
LF Arcia
RF Parmelee
3B Plouffe
DH Willingham
SS Florimon

Bench 4:
IF Escobar
OF/DH Colabello
C Suzuki 50%
OF Pressley

Rotation:
Ricky Nolasco
Phil Hughes
Mike Pelfrey
Kevin Correia
Sam Deduno

Bullpen: (7)
Perkins
Fien
Burton
Duensing
Swarzak
Thielbar
Tonkin

Trade Worley and Diamond for whatever you can get.
Trade Correia for prospects during the season and bring up Gibson.
Trade Duensing during the season for prospects and bring up Meyer for the bull pen.

#25 SydneyTwinsFan

SydneyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

I like Sconnie's roster. I'd personally be inclined to start Gibson at #5, put Deduno in the pen and option Thielbar, but the 13 position players are the ones I would take North. At the start of ST I had Kubel in for Colabello, but I don't see how you can hand Kubel a job right now.

#26 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:04 PM

I'd personally be inclined to start Gibson at #5, put Deduno in the pen.

Deduno might be better suited for the pen than a starter, but with the options issues, I don't see the a Twins breaking camp with Gibson on the big league roster.

#27 SydneyTwinsFan

SydneyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Thielbar has an option remaining I think. It comes down to whether you think a roster with Gibson/Deduno gives you a better chance to win games than Deduno/Thielbar. I think it's the former, but there may not be much in it.

Worley is gone or DL'd I think. I would try to trade Diamond for whatever can be got, even if it's not much.

#28 stringer bell

stringer bell

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

It is a small point, but isn't Colabello only an emergency OF? I'd rather see Escobar or Bartlett out there than see Colabello try to play RF. CC has played a lot of 1B this spring and has made quite a few nice plays, but my memories of his "D" in RF from last year would be categorized as "Doumitlike".

#29 Jdosen

Jdosen

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

I don't understand why the Twins seem to want to pencil Florimon into the starting SS job automatically. I really want to see Escobar given a chance to play everyday. I don't think he will ever be a league-average hitter, but if he can put up an 85-90 wRC+ while providing 96% of the defense Florimon does, it would be an upgrade. #Eddie400

Also, I don't see any scenario in which Kubel or Bartlett are kept.

My 25 if I ran the team--
2B Dozier
1B Mauer
LF Willingham
RF Arcia
3B Plouffe
DH Pinto
CF Hicks
C Suzuki
SS Escobar

OF Presley
1B Colabello
SS Florimon
1B/OF Parmelee

Nolasco
Hughes
Pelfrey
Correia
Gibson

Perkins
Burton
Fein
Swarzak
Thielbar
Diamond
Duensing
I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamso...s.blogspot.com/
twitter: @dose17

#30 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:04 AM

Lineup:
2B: Dozier
SS: Escobar
1B: Mauer
LF: Willingham
RF: Arcia
3B: Plouffe
DH: Parmalee/Collabello
CF: Hicks
C: Sazuki/Pinto

Bench:
Pinto/Sazuki
Colabello/Parmalee
Pressley
Bernier or Barlett

Put Florimon on the DL for a bit, let's see what Escobar can do. If he hits at all, Florimon comes up and is the utility guy.

Pitchers:
Nolasco
Hughes
Corriea
Pelfrey
Gibson

Bullpen:
Perkins
Burton
Fien
Duensing
Thielbar
Swarzak
Deduno

Wouldn't mind if they trade Corriea and put Deduno in the rotation, but seems unlikely