Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Get to Know: Doug Bernier

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ow-Doug-Bernier

#2 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,434 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the backstory on so many of the players, Seth. To be honest, last season was such a drudge, sometimes its hard to remember who even got the ABs even though they may have been some of the most memorable times of the player's life.

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Im sure being up for 1/2 year didn't hurt his pocketbook either
I'm going to send that link to my baseball coach brother
Thanks

#4 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

I have one Doug Bernier experience.

Around the time he was called I was in a store near where I live in California, grabbing a 6 pack, while wearing a twins shirt. The beer delivery guy came up to me and too my utter shock started up a Doug Bernier conversation. They used to play together (I forget which level) and he had got a call from Bernier about his promotion and how excited he was about it.

#5 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:34 AM

Since we are going to loose 1 of the pitchers, probably Diamond. I wonder if Bernier will get the call if Florimon starts the season on the DL.

#6 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:49 AM

If Florimon cannot go wouldn't they simply use Escobar at shortstop for a few games?

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

Since we are going to loose 1 of the pitchers, probably Diamond. I wonder if Bernier will get the call if Florimon starts the season on the DL.

Could be. They may want to give the starts to Escobar and would need another IF backup. We still may need to add another OF and/or DH to the 40-man (Kubel, Mastroianni, or Ramirez, most likely), so the other NRIs like Bernier have a fairly uphill battle.

Personally, as a fan I wouldn't mind seeing Santana get a little look, if we need short term SS help. Nothing like the Hicks experience -- keep him out for opening day, maybe, then bat him 9th a few times.

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

Or, they could do the sneaky thing and not DL Florimon, just stash him on the bench for a few games while Escobar plays. I think they've been burned doing that before (albeit with more specific injuries, not Florimon's generic appendectomy recovery).

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,090 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

I still think it'd be Santana, if they need to put Florimon on the disabled list.